RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2012, 02:20 PM
The end is nigh!!!

Default OT - The Hunger Games

So anyone see anything we can steal from the Hunger Games to use in your scenarios?
Old 03-21-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnwolf View Post
So anyone see anything we can steal from the Hunger Games to use in your scenarios?
Cheesy teenage romance maybe?

...or maybe they are going to wait until the second movie to include the ubiquitous love triangle.

Last edited by Fusilier; 03-21-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:53 PM
Resident Medic, Crazy Finn

Haven't read the book (heard about it the first time just now), but the theme could work, if not in Twilight right after the fall, maybe some ten years or so after it. I'm thinking the kind of situation as in The Postman or perhaps a bit modified, but still.
"Listen to me, nugget, and listen good. Don't go poppin' your head out like that, unless you want it shot off. And if you do get it shot off, make sure you're dead, because if you ain't, guess who's gotta drag your sorry ass off the field? Were short on everything, so the only painkiller I have comes in 9mm doses. Now get the hell out of my foxhole!" - an unknown medic somewhere, 2013.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:30 AM

Hunger games comes across as a straight rip-off from the Japanese film "Battle Royale"
Old 03-22-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95th Rifleman View Post
Hunger games comes across as a straight rip-off from the Japanese film "Battle Royale"
Except they won't do anything cool like have one of the characters be given a pot lid as their issued weapon.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:50 AM

I've read the series and it's OK. Not fantastic or ground breaking but a decent page-turner. I don't know about the film, but the ubiquitous love triangle is already there in book one.

The new take on the "Bread and Circuses" idea is OK as is the repressive actions of the government.

It could be used in the sense of institutionalised violence being used as a tool of control. What if the powers that be in Krakow decided to institute a Games to allow robotniki a fast track into the city. Win three fights and get citizenship. It could be a pressure release against the rioting and if you add sentences of fighting in the game, you might get an interesting scenario.

Add a freedom fighter who uses the games to spread the message of revolt, and you won't be far off the premise of the books.

Katniss is also emotionally compromised, suspicious and reliant on violence to solve her problems: she's pretty much a PC...
Old 03-22-2012, 04:20 PM

Simon,
I do believe you're on to something here. I also read the trilogy on my nook. It was decent. Liked the first two but the third was blah. Bows and arrows shooting down aircraft....um, no. But I did like the ideas for Krakow. That would work....

"Red Star, Burning Streets" by Cavalier Books, 2020

https://epochxp.tumblr.com/ - EpochXperience - Contributing Blogger since October 2020. (A Division of SJR Consulting).
Old 03-22-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonmark6 View Post
What if the powers that be in Krakow decided to institute a Games to allow robotniki a fast track into the city. Win three fights and get citizenship.
Add in the occasional lunatic who volunteers to play because he enjoys the sport. I stole that from BR but in T2000 there would probably be plenty of unhinged people like that.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:23 PM

Yup, third book moved away from relationships and face to face combat into war stories and she sucked at that. Still, lots of my kids are reading it and I've been able to interest them in Twilight 2000 of the back of it rather than them expecting anything with Twilight in the title to be about sparkly-bastard vampires and poncy werewolves.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:09 PM
Registered Registrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonmark6 View Post
Yup, third book moved away from relationships and face to face combat into war stories and she sucked at that. Still, lots of my kids are reading it and I've been able to interest them in Twilight 2000 of the back of it rather than them expecting anything with Twilight in the title to be about sparkly-bastard vampires and poncy werewolves.
That's no vampire. It's a sparkle-fairy!
Old 03-24-2012, 09:25 PM

I went and watched The Hunger Games with my wife last night. She liked it. I liked it until the combat started, then I just wanted to see the main female protagonist get killed.

*Possible Spoilers* (avert your eyes for the rest of the post if you don't want surprises ruined).

The only characters I really had any respect for were the Tributes from Districts 1 and 2. They had been put through combat and survival academies from an early age and had volunteered for the Hunger Games. The big, scary male Tribute from District 1 (who was supposed to be the main bad guy among the Tributes) really had his shit together. He must have killed 5 or 6 other tributes single handedly, half of them within the first 2 minutes of the games commencing.

The main protagonist, Katniss, rocked with a bow but if she was a male would have suffered from severe erectile dysfunction. The idea behind the Hunger Games is to make best use of whatever weapons and equipment are provided. She acted smart at the start of the games but then progressively acted like she had a head injury. When another Tribute she was allied with died in front of her she had a little cry (ok, fine, she's a chick and her little friend had died) but then she didn't loot the body (even though she had given the kid a whole box of survival matches like a half hour before). Then she spends 10 or 15 minutes (with other Tributes almost certainly hunting her at the time) picking flowers to arrange around her friend's corpse, and throws away a really nice all-metal spear that her friend had been killed with. At that point I just wanted her to be killed, and failing that I could have settled for seeing her maimed. What a retard.

I'll definitely watch the sequel(s) but only so I can enjoy the moments when Katniss gets injured. I'll be cheering at those moments. Given her status in the films I've already given up on seeing her die. I'll just have to get by imagining that at some time later in her life she gets some horrible disease and dies in pain.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:48 AM
This Sourcebook Kills Fascists

Targan, I think it's safe to say you are not the target audience.

- C.

Author of The Pacific Northwest, coauthor of Tara Romaneasca, creator of several other free Twilight: 2000 and Twilight: 2013 resources, and curator of an intermittent gaming blog.

It rarely takes more than a page to recognize that you're in the presence of someone who can write, but it only takes a sentence to know you're dealing with someone who can't.
- Josh Olson
Old 03-28-2012, 06:52 PM
The Stat Guy

The Hunger Games trilogy -- just some of the literally hundreds of books I own but have yet to read. I have got to save up the money for a tablet...

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 03-28-2012, 06:53 PM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegyrius View Post
Targan, I think it's safe to say you are not the target audience.

- C.
I had a friend in high school who read the Lord of the Rings trilogy hoping that Mordor would come out on top...

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 03-28-2012, 07:09 PM
This Sourcebook Kills Fascists

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b View Post
I had a friend in high school who read the Lord of the Rings trilogy hoping that Mordor would come out on top...
Back in the early days of the d20 bubble, Fantasy Flight Games came out with a setting entitled Midnight, which was pretty much that premise. Take a fantasy world and set it a few decades after the nominal good guys lost. For all the quality control problems that most d20 material suffered, the core concepts and setting were surprisingly good.

- C.

Author of The Pacific Northwest, coauthor of Tara Romaneasca, creator of several other free Twilight: 2000 and Twilight: 2013 resources, and curator of an intermittent gaming blog.

It rarely takes more than a page to recognize that you're in the presence of someone who can write, but it only takes a sentence to know you're dealing with someone who can't.
- Josh Olson
Old 03-29-2012, 05:56 AM

I can see something like hunger games in a T2K environment. Or as others have speculated , 5-10 years AFTER T2K.

The ideas could also be used in a Morrow Project encounter. Set BANG+150, something like this could have set in as a rite of pasage, or a criminal punishment system (I.E, Running Man??), or because people WANT to see this kind of mayhem (I.E. Roman bread and circus??).

My $0.02

Mike