RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2011, 12:27 PM

A few more

“About the King’s Business” by Captain Andy Ross MC, published by Macmillan in 2012 – Ross recounts his experiences as a King’s Messenger between 1998 and 2002. The title is taken from the identification letter that the King’s Messengers carried with them.

“A Scottish Soldier” the memoirs of General Sir Rory Stewart, KCB, CBE, DSO, MC, published by Harper Collins in 2024

Born in Blair Atholl, Perthshire, in 1968, Rory Stewart was a twenty eight year old Captain in the Scots Guards at the outbreak of the Twilight War. He commanded Right Flank Company, 1st Battalion, Scots Guards during some of the most intense fighting of the War, winning the Military Cross during the retreat from Poland in the late summer of 1997. He remained in the Army after the BAOR returned to the UK, taking part in various operations to bring England back under Government control, and commanded the 1st Battalion Scots Guards from 2001 to 2003,

In 2006 as a Colonel he was a member of the British delegation which took part in the signing of the Perth Accords, which saw the dissolution of the Republic of Scotland (interestingly Alex Stewart, the self appointed leader of the Scottish Separatists was his cousin).

In 2016, as General Sir Rory Stewart, he was appointed Chief of the General Staff, becoming Chief of the Defence Staff three years later. He retired from the Army in 2022, at which point he was elevated to the Peerage as Lord Stewart of Killiecrankie.

An accomplished ruby player, Stewart won eight caps for Scotland before the war. The book's title is taken from a traditional Scottish song.

Historical footnote - Rory Stewart died in 2060, aged 92; his funeral took place at Edinburgh Castle and was attended by King William V.

(Note IRL there is a Conservative MP named Rory Stewart - this is a coincidence and the fictional T2K character above is not intended to resemble him (although the real Rory Stewart was an officer in the British Army for a short period of time)).

“Tis To Glory We Steer – The Royal Navy in the Twilight War” by Peter Boyd and Gary Jackson, published by Pen and Sword in 2011.

The definitive history of the Royal Navy during the Twilight War; whilst perhaps understandably the main focus is on the North Atlantic Campaigns of 1997, the authors do not overlook the contributions of the Navy’s South China Sea and Persian Gulf Squadrons or the role Royal Navy personnel played in maintaining order and carrying out humanitarian aid inside the UK after the nuclear exchanges. Particularly noteworthy is Chapter Six “For Valour”, which describes the posthumous award of the Victoria Cross to Lieutenant Susan Taylor, RN, the first woman to receive the nation’s highest award for bravery.

The title is a line from “Heart of Oak”, the official march of the Royal Navy and several Commonwealth Navies including the Royal Canadian Navy, the Royal Australian Navy and the Royal New Zealand Navy.

Last edited by Rainbow Six; 12-26-2011 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Correcting Typos
Old 12-28-2011, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Six View Post
A few more

“About the King’s Business” by Captain Andy Ross MC, published by Macmillan in 2012 – Ross recounts his experiences as a King’s Messenger between 1998 and 2002. The title is taken from the identification letter that the King’s Messengers carried with them.

“A Scottish Soldier” the memoirs of General Sir Rory Stewart, KCB, CBE, DSO, MC, published by Harper Collins in 2024

Born in Blair Atholl, Perthshire, in 1968, Rory Stewart was a twenty eight year old Captain in the Scots Guards at the outbreak of the Twilight War. He commanded Right Flank Company, 1st Battalion, Scots Guards during some of the most intense fighting of the War, winning the Military Cross during the retreat from Poland in the late summer of 1997. He remained in the Army after the BAOR returned to the UK, taking part in various operations to bring England back under Government control, and commanded the 1st Battalion Scots Guards from 2001 to 2003,

In 2006 as a Colonel he was a member of the British delegation which took part in the signing of the Perth Accords, which saw the dissolution of the Republic of Scotland (interestingly Alex Stewart, the self appointed leader of the Scottish Separatists was his cousin).

In 2016, as General Sir Rory Stewart, he was appointed Chief of the General Staff, becoming Chief of the Defence Staff three years later. He retired from the Army in 2022, at which point he was elevated to the Peerage as Lord Stewart of Killiecrankie.

An accomplished ruby player, Stewart won eight caps for Scotland before the war. The book's title is taken from a traditional Scottish song.

Historical footnote - Rory Stewart died in 2060, aged 92; his funeral took place at Edinburgh Castle and was attended by King William V.

(Note IRL there is a Conservative MP named Rory Stewart - this is a coincidence and the fictional T2K character above is not intended to resemble him (although the real Rory Stewart was an officer in the British Army for a short period of time)).

“Tis To Glory We Steer – The Royal Navy in the Twilight War” by Peter Boyd and Gary Jackson, published by Pen and Sword in 2011.

The definitive history of the Royal Navy during the Twilight War; whilst perhaps understandably the main focus is on the North Atlantic Campaigns of 1997, the authors do not overlook the contributions of the Navy’s South China Sea and Persian Gulf Squadrons or the role Royal Navy personnel played in maintaining order and carrying out humanitarian aid inside the UK after the nuclear exchanges. Particularly noteworthy is Chapter Six “For Valour”, which describes the posthumous award of the Victoria Cross to Lieutenant Susan Taylor, RN, the first woman to receive the nation’s highest award for bravery.

The title is a line from “Heart of Oak”, the official march of the Royal Navy and several Commonwealth Navies including the Royal Canadian Navy, the Royal Australian Navy and the Royal New Zealand Navy.
Nice linking back to the King's Messenger info. Would love to see either brief extracts or a synopsis so I can fully integrate it.

Col Stuart could make a really good NPC and I like the details given. I will incorporate this into the next version.

The RN book will also be included (if for no other reason than "Heart of Oak" is my old regimental march (WFR)). Can you add to the details of Lt Taylor so I can incorporate her into the history.

Great work.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Langham View Post
Nice linking back to the King's Messenger info. Would love to see either brief extracts or a synopsis so I can fully integrate it.

Col Stuart could make a really good NPC and I like the details given. I will incorporate this into the next version.

The RN book will also be included (if for no other reason than "Heart of Oak" is my old regimental march (WFR)). Can you add to the details of Lt Taylor so I can incorporate her into the history.

Great work.
Thanks. I shall attempt to expand on Captain Ross' experiences and Lt Taylor's heroics over the forthcoming four day weekend.

I'm also slightly embarrassed that I missed one of the more obvious typos...Rory Stewart is of course an accomplished rugby player (and not a ruby player...).