RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2015, 11:15 PM

Default more questions about rules...

I can't find much for rules about rad/chem protection and related material.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:41 AM
Staff Headquarter Weinie

No there is not a lot about it, in the basic rules beyond the PC RADS. The only module adventure where it really comes into play is in the Ruins of Warsaw.

I'm guessing the creators didn’t really think that it would be a big part of the game.

I noticed in the equipment listing that there are some CBRN items, like alarms masks, ect. I'm guess those item were put in so you could travel is straight line when traveling. "Oh the radiation alarm is going off guess you have go around that area too bad it’s the quickest way there, I wonder what will happen when we go this way."
Old 12-16-2015, 09:22 AM
The Stat Guy

Damn! I'm getting so old! I used to be able to rattle off NBC information while barely thinking about it...

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 12-16-2015, 12:59 PM

Well whatever I can get will be helpful. In my opinion radiation is a crucial part of most post-apoc fiction, be that realistic or sci-fi. Especially in t2k. Same thing with guns, vehicles, and equipment wearing out, distilling fuel, crafting things when necessary, uncomfortable moral dilemmas, etc...
Old 12-16-2015, 01:16 PM

True about "Ruins", but, its those little changes GM's secretly make that spice the game up!

1. Sometimes the appearance of "Rads" is enough to spook players ("Danger" signs, the 3 circled "chem hazard" symbol outside a village, mutilated animals in a field, a player putting their gas mask on and finding out in the process theres a hole in it ....).

2. I thought T2K v1 had some stuff on how to handle actual actual radiation exposure, i'll see if i can dig it out.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:12 PM

Rads from the 2.2 book (pg 242)

A character in a crater area suffers 1d6 rads per minute. If he is riding in an open vehicle, this is reduced by half, and if he is riding in an enclosed armored vehicle, it is reduced by a factor of 10. If he is travelling in a radiologically shielded vehicle, it is reduced by a factor of 100. The type of NBC protection a vehicle provides (Open, Enclosed or Radiologically Shielded) is noted on that vehicle's data card. The referee may choose to ignore the accumulation of fractional rads.

I would consider a military NBC suit with gas mask to give a 10 factor of reduction. They don't do much against radiation but would keep contaminated particles out of contact of the body, and the mask would keep them out of the respiratory tract (inhalation of irradiated particles is the largest threat of fallout). All these suits are composed of is a layer of charcoal, primarily intended to neutralize chemical agents. There is no lead shielding involved.

If your guys have come across PROPER radiation suits with a self contained breather, then the reduction factor of 100 should probably apply.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:15 PM

[QUOTE=kcdusk;68898]True about "Ruins", but, its those little changes GM's secretly make that spice the game up!

1. Sometimes the appearance of "Rads" is enough to spook players ("Danger" signs, the 3 circled "chem hazard" symbol outside a village, mutilated animals in a field, a player putting their gas mask on and finding out in the process theres a hole in it ....).

My finest moment as a GM was when my PC's uncovered a suitcase of gold coins and jewels. They thought they hit the jackpot but failed to run any sort of rad detection equipment on the booty, which was covered by alpha and beta particles. I simply applied the contamination effects in the rules to each character's RAD total and then gradually described the effects until the longest serving character among them (highest RAD total) became deathly ill. Amazingly, one of the players (who was studying to be a chemical engineer) figured it out. Good times!