RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 09-10-2008, 03:02 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default LAV 300 vs Stryker

TiggerCCW UK 05-06-2008, 07:09 AM Are these two vehicles essentially the same? One of my players has become obsessed with getting a Stryker, after reading Colby Buzzel's 'My War' (an excellent read BTW). I've tried explaining that the Stryker doesn't exist in the T2K world, but he won't take no for an answer. To keep him happy I was thinking of giving the group a LAV-300 to make the journey from Virginia to New York where they will be doing Armies Of The Night.

In essence I thought that the LAV-300 was essentially an early version of the Stryker - is this true?

Targan 05-06-2008, 07:18 AM I know this doesn't answer your question but as I said in a recent post at the 93Games Studio site I am pretty sure the LAV III and Stryker are both based on the Australian Army's ASLAV which itself was based on the LAV 25 used by the USMC.

pmulcahy 05-06-2008, 08:33 AM OK...there are a number of vehicles -- the LAV-100, the LAV-150, the LAV-300, the LAV-600, the ASV-150 -- that were originally designed by Cadillac-Gage and were originally called the V-100, V-150, V-300, V-600, etc. Production and ownership has changed hands and I don't know whose products these vehicles are at this point, but they are still produced and for sale.

On the other hand, the LAV-25 and its variants, and the LAV III and its variants (including the Stryker) are based on the MOWAG Piranha series. Originally a Swiss-owned company, MOWAG is now a subsidiary of General Motors Defense of Canada. The Stryker variant of the LAV III is license-produced in the US by General Motors; their license is issued by MOWAG who is, in turn, owned by GM Canada (damn, that gives me a headache just thinking about the sort of legal silliness going on there!).

Anyway, the Cadillac-Gage vehicles and the GM Canada vehicles, though they may have similar designations, are not related. But, just because I'm in a bad mood, let me give you another reason to pop some Advil -- many of the turrets of the Cadillac-Gage LAVs and the GM Canada LAVs are quite easy to interchange!

Headquarters 05-06-2008, 03:31 PM kill that player off..have him run over by a LAV-25 from the book.

hehe

pmulcahy 05-06-2008, 06:29 PM kill that player off..have him run over by a LAV-25 from the book.

hehe

As should happen to all rules lawyers -- hoist them on their own petard! Do it Tigger! Do it! Do it!

General Pain 05-07-2008, 01:22 AM Are these two vehicles essentially the same? One of my players has become obsessed with getting a Stryker, after reading Colby Buzzel's 'My War' (an excellent read BTW). I've tried explaining that the Stryker doesn't exist in the T2K world, but he won't take no for an answer. To keep him happy I was thinking of giving the group a LAV-300 to make the journey from Virginia to New York where they will be doing Armies Of The Night.

In essence I thought that the LAV-300 was essentially an early version of the Stryker - is this true?

U could offcourse give him one in boxes (unasembled)....then he just need a mechanic,fuel ammo etc....getting those items could prove to be a nice side-adventure

General Pain 05-07-2008, 01:24 AM As should happen to all rules lawyers -- hoist them on their own petard! Do it Tigger! Do it! Do it!

Damn those rulius-magistarius types he he

on the other hand u could allways hand out a stryker to the enemy.

pmulcahy 05-07-2008, 05:59 AM U could offcourse give him one in boxes (unasembled)....then he just need a mechanic,fuel ammo etc....getting those items could prove to be a nice side-adventure

Give him the boxes, and then have them fall on him, squashing him!

TiggerCCW UK 05-07-2008, 02:01 PM Thanks for the info folks. Paul, General Pain, you're both in maleovalent form today I thought I was grumpy because I had to spend the day on a pointless training course and then work tonight, but you guys have me beat :biggrin:

I'll probably let them have a LAV 300 just to keep him quiet. Its only while they're heading to New York anyway, then they'll have to leave it behind.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:37 PM
The end is nigh!!!

And they all are built in my home town of London.

http://www.gdlscanada.com/main.html
Old 07-31-2009, 12:47 AM

I've been in a Stryker Brigade for the last 2 years, if you have questions, I can probably answer them.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to natehale1971 Send a message via MSN to natehale1971 Send a message via Yahoo to natehale1971

In my T2k setting, the Stryker was one of the wheeled IFV that had been adopted by the US Army. The only difference in the RW Stryker and the T2k Stryker is that the one in the T2k universe is amphibious. It was developed in the 1990s as a light wheeled infantry fighting vehicle for use by light mechanized infantry scouting units because it's alot quieter than the M2 Bradley IFV / M3 Bradly CFV.

I've been doing alot of reading on weapon systems created since the fall of the Iron Curtian looking for the kinds of things that would exist in my T2k universe since i pushed the start of the Sino-Soviet War to 2000 instead of 1995.

Even with the war starting in 1995, there are alot of weapon systems that would have been adopted before the nuclear exchanges... Might not have been as many of the systems... But there would have been some of them there.

Paul's website is great showing those systems... i've been trying to find out more info and reference pictures so i can get things ready for my T2k game i want to run here.
Fuck being a hero. Do you know what you get for being a hero? Nothing! You get shot at. You get a little pat on the back, blah blah blah, attaboy! You get divorced... Your wife can't remember your last name, your kids don't want to talk to you... You get to eat a lot of meals by yourself. Trust me kid, nobody wants to be that guy. I do this because there is nobody else to do it right now. Believe me if there was somebody else to do it, I would let them do it. There's not, so I'm doing it.

Tags
vehicles