RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 11-27-2022, 01:05 PM

Default New weapon production

One of the interesting things the last 20 or 30 years have demonstrated is that, when it comes to making weapons, humans are pretty ingenious.

Here's a guy who makes a AR-15 lower from aluminum cans:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb2vOWOSojY

Theoretically, a person could do this in their backyard with a simple home made forge made from a flower pot, some charcoal, some aluminum cans, and a lot of time with hand files (not that I would recommend going this route).

From a machining perspective, the most challenging part of gun manufacture is probably reaming the barrel. I've seen DIY youtube videos where people drill a barrel blank, and then ream the rifling by beating the reamer through with a hammer. Probably not a great, accurate QC product...it worked. If you have a large enough lathe, then it becomes pretty easy work for a competent machinist.

Ok, I lied, for the AR-15/M-16 family, machining the bolt carrier group is probably more technically challenging than barrel reaming, but should be within the capability of a competent machinist, and is something that can be done on hobby milling machines and lathes.

Nonetheless, it wouldn't take a lot in terms of infrastructure to stand up new small arms manufacture. A large town might have the ability, and a large city certainly wood. A well equipped machine shop is really all you need.

One of the interesting things that came from ISIS and their defeat was an analysis of their domestic weapons production.

https://www.conflictarm.com/download...4&file_id=2955

They actually had a pretty sophisticated cottage manufacturing industry.

They used oil-field pipes to make mortars. They used sand-casting to make the mortar shell bodies from scrap metal they pulled from junkyards. They used cut down shotgun shells to use for primers for the mortar rounds.

From a post-apocalyptic standpoint, probably the hardest thing to acquire would be nitrates for propellant and explosive filler, but probably not outside of the reach of MilGov, CivGov, or New America (you don't need a lab full of white coat organic chemistry PhDs). It would also make an interesting scenario for securing of nitrate sources (bat guano beds in places like Carlsbad, or human waste treatment plants.

The kingdom was lost for want of some poop.
Old 11-29-2022, 05:24 PM
Administrator

These old threads might hold items of interest.

https://forum.juhlin.com/showthread....ght=improvised

https://forum.juhlin.com/showthread....ght=improvised

-
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, and co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048
Old 11-30-2022, 09:02 AM

LOL. How embarrassing.

Is there a way to see archived threads outside of the search function?

The forum page only shows 29 threads on my screen, and no page 2...and the Syria topic isn't on page 1.
Old 11-30-2022, 12:19 PM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by castlebravo92 View Post
LOL. How embarrassing.

The forum page only shows 29 threads on my screen, and no page 2...and the Syria topic isn't on page 1.
Is the thread map up to date?

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 11-30-2022, 03:04 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

Quote:
LOL. How embarrassing.

You should see 161 pages (4k plus threads) if you are logged in. The 29 threads is a limiter to keep search engines from throttling the site when they arrive as a non logged in user.

It is possible some ad blocker or similar cookie security is preventing the site from you being viewed as logged in. You can disable that as our site has no ads. Short term I will make the front page show 100 days rather than one month.

If logging in does not fix it (this is for everyone) send me a PM with your details (phone/pc, os, browser, etc) and I will see if I can duplicate the issue and resolve it.
Old 11-30-2022, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b View Post
Is the thread map up to date?
Nope. Updating this requires quite a bit of effort, but I will see what I can do.

If anyone wants to make specific additions reply to the Thread map comment thread with links you think should be added and I will have that to work off of for the eventual update.
Old 11-30-2022, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato13 View Post
You should see 161 pages (4k plus threads) if you are logged in. The 29 threads is a limiter to keep search engines from throttling the site when they arrive as a non logged in user.

It is possible some ad blocker or similar cookie security is preventing the site from you being viewed as logged in. You can disable that as our site has no ads. Short term I will make the front page show 100 days rather than one month.

If logging in does not fix it (this is for everyone) send me a PM with your details (phone/pc, os, browser, etc) and I will see if I can duplicate the issue and resolve it.
Weird. I only see two pages (58 threads) and I'm most definitely logged in.
Old 11-30-2022, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Weird. I only see two pages (58 threads) and I'm most definitely logged in.
Ok I think I got it under USER CP (control panel) -> Edit Options

Find the below and set to "Show All threads". I think when we first set this up that was the default but some upgrade must have reset it.
Attached Images

Old 12-01-2022, 01:43 PM

It may also be the time setting. When I log in, the default for threads under Display Options is "Last 100 Days." I have to change that to "Beginning" to see all the archive threads.

The Vespers War - Ninety years before the Twilight War, there was the Vespers War.
Old 12-02-2022, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespers War View Post
It may also be the time setting. When I log in, the default for threads under Display Options is "Last 100 Days." I have to change that to "Beginning" to see all the archive threads.
Thats how I've always done it. Ever since I've been on this forum, I've reset it with that setting. Guess I wasnt smart enough to complain about it. LOL That setting is at the very bottom left and youll have to scroll down to it.
Attached Images

Last edited by shrike6; 12-02-2022 at 01:44 AM. Reason: added emoji
Old 12-02-2022, 06:05 AM

admin test user's solution fixed it for me.