RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 04-06-2018, 06:56 AM
Banned

Thank you for your comments and glad you liked it. Definitely put a lot of work into those orbats to make them as believable as possible - too some digging to get good info on the Ugandans and Rwandans.

Wanted to make them more detailed than the typical orbats so that players and GM's could get a real sense of what the units actually had - especially considering the wide variety of equipment that would be present in Africa - and for the US units especially showing how they are having to make do and improvise and depend on what they can find and repair in many cases.
Old 04-07-2018, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olefin View Post
Thank you for your comments and glad you liked it. Definitely put a lot of work into those orbats to make them as believable as possible - too some digging to get good info on the Ugandans and Rwandans.

Wanted to make them more detailed than the typical orbats so that players and GM's could get a real sense of what the units actually had - especially considering the wide variety of equipment that would be present in Africa - and for the US units especially showing how they are having to make do and improvise and depend on what they can find and repair in many cases.
I just like have to read when i am bored.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:39 AM
The Stat Guy

How did the gorillas in the interior fare?

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 04-07-2018, 04:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b View Post
How did the gorillas in the interior fare?
Thats something I didnt consider - and that might make a good mini-module or adventure

However things did get way out of hand in Kenya

"Poaching of Kenya’s wildlife, already endemic before the war, has risen to new heights as the death of tourism and reduced agricultural output
has driven people to attack the once protected native species in Kenya’s wildlife parks. The Kenyan government has done what it can by
deploying the few remaining units from the Kenya Wildlife Service (KWS) to intercept armed criminals in the game parks and stop livestock thefts as much as they can. But they are clearly outmatched by the sheer number of
incidents."
Old 08-07-2018, 07:09 AM
Banned

After seeing a post on the Rhodesian Cobra SMG I started looking at the vehicles and weapons of the Rhodesian Bush War and considering doing an update adding vehicles to the sourcebook covering some of those very unique vehicles since most of them were passed onto the Zimbabwean Army - and would have served with their forces in the Congo War - and thus possibly be encountered by characters who venture into the Congo or Zimbabwe - vehicles like the MAP45 and MAP75 or the Crocodile
Old 08-08-2018, 09:46 PM
Registered Registrant

Quote:
After seeing a post on the Rhodesian Cobra SMG I started looking at the vehicles and weapons of the Rhodesian Bush War and considering doing an update adding vehicles to the sourcebook covering some of those very unique vehicles since most of them were passed onto the Zimbabwean Army - and would have served with their forces in the Congo War - and thus possibly be encountered by characters who venture into the Congo or Zimbabwe - vehicles like the MAP45 and MAP75 or the Crocodile
As an item of interest, at the end of the war, a small number of those locally made mine-protected vehicles were driven to South Africa by their crews. A number of military units quit Rhodesia and offered themselves and all their gear to the South African government and those particular vehicles added to the knowledge of mine protection for South African military vehicles.

But as for the vehicles... along with the MAP45, MAP75 and Crocodile, you could also include the MPCV (Mine Protected Combat Vehicle), basically like the MAP series but based on a Unimog chassis and equiped & used as an IFV. Probably made as a Rhodesian version of the UR-416 APCs they had in service at the time. You could also include the Ferret Scout Cars the Rhodies had and if you really wanted a "What the hell is that?" vehicle, you could have the Leopard Security Vehicle or even the one and only example of the Bullet TCV.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:39 AM
Banned

After a very extended period of writers block I am finally back to work on Twilight 2000 stuff including a revision to the East Africa Sourcebook similar to what Raellus did with improving and updating his Korean Sourcebook. Fixing some editing errors and improving the flow and looking at possibly adding more info to improve it for those wanting to use it as a basis for campaigns in the area.

Definitely looking for any suggested areas of improvement or added information that people here might want to suggest.

One thing I will be adding is more info on Kenya's agriculture and animals - including the large numbers of camels and donkeys (over 1.8 million donkeys are used there in various transport capacities) that are used for transport in Kenya and the surrounding area that was barely touched on in the original release

Last edited by Olefin; 01-16-2019 at 07:45 AM.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:16 AM

Just bought it myself. Well done that man!
Old 01-16-2019, 11:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkLine View Post
Just bought it myself. Well done that man!
Thank you very much - very glad that you enjoyed it and good to see interest in it over a year and a half since it was initially published.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:43 PM

it would be nice to see something about the rail network
Old 01-21-2019, 09:05 AM
Banned

this is the entry as it stands - and could see about improving it to add more details

"Kenya’s railroad system boasted some 2,778 kilometers of narrow-gauge, one-meter track, 150 stations, and a fleet of 156 locomotives and some 7,000 coaches and wagons before the war began. The system, managed by the Kenya Railway Corporation (KRC), served both Kenya and land-locked countries in the East African region. The most important route runs from Mombasa through Nairobi to the Ugandan border. Rail traffic is now limited to what is needed for the military and vital military production needs, with only twice weekly passenger trains from Mombasa to Nairobi for civilians. About half the rolling stock and locomotives of the railway are still operational."
Old 09-03-2019, 03:24 PM
Banned

Updated East Africa Kenya Sourcebook being sent to Marc tonight - should be out soon - added more details about the Somalis including an orbat for the "brigades" that invaded Kenya in 2001, added an expanded animal chart that covers animals that are specific to the area (thank you Paul for the information that I needed on your page to create it), modifications to the encounter chart to take into account how that area (outside of Ethiopia and the Sudan) doesnt have much in the way of horses, as well as modifications to the V2.2 character charts to be able to do things like play a Pararescueman.

Will also include some information on the US forces that are in Liberia as well and why they are there.

Hope you all enjoy it - this will be the definitive version of it and no further changes or updates.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:49 PM

Bit late perhaps as you are already updating! But I had a few thoughts on the British contingent.

If Kenya is important enough for CENTCOM to deploy an airborne brigade followed by an armored brigade (Essentially an under-strength division) then for Britain to not make more effort to deploy there seems unlikely. Admittedly Britain and the US see the middle-east as the more decisive theater. But if Kenya falls then so does the mid-east. I think this justifies the British making a better 'token' display. I would suggest that a territorial army (British National Guard) battalion deploy. The Territorial army is a heavily neglected portion of canon and with between 72000 to 90000 men unaccounted for leaves you plenty of room to play with.

The British MEFF consists of an over strength Brigade with an attached battalion of Paratroopers who deploy everything from their garrison in Oman to Iran. This leaves Oman and their supply base exposed. To compensate, it could be explained that the British transport two Infantry Battalions to provide communication and home base security for Oman. When the Kenyans requests assistance from the western allies. The US deploys the 173rd and Britain splits off a battalion and sends it along.

This battalion would be light infantry and as such entirely relying on American transportation or whatever soft skinned vehicles can be cobbled together from the Kenyans or British Army Training Unit Kenya.

Was 46 Commando meant to be a battalion size unit or a company?

Colour Sergeant Bourne: And a bayonet, sir, with some guts behind.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:19 AM
Banned

The final update goes to Marc this weekend - so let me look again at the British Army Training Unit - one reason I have the US going there as did Frank in his original barebones outline was that the British couldnt help the Kenyans - they were literally spread so thin there wasnt anything left
Old 09-22-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
The final update goes to Marc this weekend - so let me look again at the British Army Training Unit - one reason I have the US going there as did Frank in his original barebones outline was that the British couldnt help the Kenyans - they were literally spread so thin there wasnt anything left
Does that mean my previous version of this great scourcebook i own will be change much.
Old 09-23-2019, 07:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordroel View Post
Does that mean my previous version of this great scourcebook i own will be change much.
Yes it will change - updated how it was written to make it flow better, fixed typos and some continuity errors, added the Somali "brigades" that actually invaded Kenya, added an expanded animals encounter chart and notes on animals used for transport in Kenya, updated the character notes to V2.2, added notes on security/MP troops and Air Force special forces, removed one formation as I realized it would have deployed to Iran with the 82nd, modified another to beef it up and added an appendix on Liberia with the forces there tasked to keep the Omega transmitter there in working order.

from what I understand from Marc if you have already bought it you should be able to get the upgraded version for free
Old 09-23-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:

from what I understand from Marc if you have already bought it you should be able to get the upgraded version for free
Thanks, for the update Olefin.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:39 PM
Registered Registrant

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordroel View Post
Thanks, for the update Olefin.
And what's most likely to happen is that you'll get an email from DriveThruRPG letting you know that an updated version is available. The email will usually have a link for downloading the updated version.
That's how it's worked for one of the other GDW games (The Tampete sourcebook for Dark Conspiracy) that needed an update.
EDIT: And yes, the update for the Tampete book was free of charge.

Last edited by StainlessSteelCynic; 09-23-2019 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Adding info
Old 10-02-2019, 10:00 AM

just got an email about the updated book on DriveThruRPG is ready to down load. I can not wait to get home and pull it down!!!!
Old 10-02-2019, 11:16 AM
Banned

and it is now stated to be officially V2.2 canon - per Marc Miller and in the introduction of the sourcebook as well as who has the copyright - i.e. no longer copyrighted to me but instead to Far Future Enterprises

hell of a moment for me to have it finally officially recognized as such
Old 10-02-2019, 01:58 PM
Banned

Among other things the newest and final version has:

Order of battle for Somali Islamists who invaded Kenya

Appendix detailing American and French forces in Liberia protecting the still operating Omega Transmitter at Paynesville

Update to correct timeline, units, vehicles etc.

Expanded animal chart to include animals for East Africa specifically as a mod to the V2.2 rules (thank you Paul for the information you had on your page)

Sections on modifications to human encounters as to what they may be using for transport in East Africa as a mod to the V2.2. rules

Update character section to include information from the V2.2. rules as well as information on how to roll up Air Force Commandos, military police, security troops and Air Force Pararescue

How Rads are handled for characters in East Africa

Updated currency, character generation and starting equipment sections

For those who have already bought it on drivethrurpg.com its easy to get the updated version - simple link - took about 2 minutes

Last edited by Olefin; 10-03-2019 at 10:07 AM.
Old 10-03-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawest View Post
just got an email about the updated book on DriveThruRPG is ready to down load. I can not wait to get home and pull it down!!!!
Also got it, going to be a nice reading for me tonight to see what is new.
Old 10-30-2019, 08:39 AM

just got a notice that a new another update was done?
Old 10-30-2019, 11:10 AM
Banned

apparently there was some confusion about it for some reason - so they sent out an official email on it to say that what was being offered was the most current update

for anyone who bought the original that was issued in April 2017 you should be able to get the update for free
Old 10-30-2019, 11:16 AM
Banned

hmm you are right - it says it was last updated today - not sure why - looks the same to me as what got updated a few weeks ago - i.e. I dont see any changes
Old 03-10-2020, 02:57 AM

Why are Scots guards training Kenyan soldiers? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-51579685
Old 03-10-2020, 11:32 AM
The Stat Guy

NATO needs the Kenyans to be strong and skilled, because of their proximity to countries where terrorists have their "home" and because we need a base of operations in Africa. I guess the Scots got the training call.

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 05-20-2020, 06:29 AM
Banned

Want to thank all of you who have bought and enjoyed the sourcebook again. Just reached the Gold Level for sales at drivethrurpg.com today which shows just how many people still love the game and want new material for it.

Starting work on the third volume of the fanzine and given what the new licensee has said I will be restarting work on new works for V1 and V2.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:55 AM

i have been getting more than a few PM over on the Battltech page, when I made a off hand twilight 2000 refer. none of them knew about the new book or fanzine. .
Old 05-20-2020, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawest View Post
i have been getting more than a few PM over on the Battltech page, when I made a off hand twilight 2000 refer. none of them knew about the new book or fanzine. .
I just joined the Battletech forums last week! Hey, if you wouldn't mind mentioning the Korean Peninsula Sourcebook and Rook's Gambit, also available on DriveThruRPG, I'd really appreciate it.
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, and co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048