RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Morrow Project/ Project Phoenix Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2014, 10:58 PM

Default Stoner Weapon System replacement?

I really liked the Stoner Weapon system from 3rd edition rule and thought they made sense. I also understand Stoner weapons were frequently used by SEAL teams in Vietnam, but that they tended to be kind of expensive and suffered frequent jams. A talented, experienced and sophisticated unit like SEALs might be able to avoid the malfunction problems, but a Morrow Team generally doesn't have elite troops.

So do you have suggestions for a replacement system for the Stoner weapon systems?

I am also wondering what do you folks think about changing the cartridge from 5.56 mm to .308 for carbines or battle rifles?
Old 07-18-2014, 07:59 AM

IMHO, this is why the A-Team mentioned in Ruins of Chicago has M-14's. Much heavier than M-16's. But it uses 7.62 (Or 30-06, your choice)

My $0.02

Mike
Old 07-18-2014, 01:38 PM
Internet Intellectual

Kevin Dockery apparently had a huge dislike for the M16 series. As he is a Viet Nam veteran I can fully sympathize. The introduction really did cost some Troops their lives.

The Stoner system is pretty unique. As a system the whole kit really does make some sense. No unit is really going to field the whole assemblage and there wasn't a single county that was going to scrap their arsenal for such a system.

The SEALs employed the Stoner MK 23. The belt fed light machinegun. This fulfilled their niche for a belt fed light support weapon. There wasn't a lot of choice for a light 5.56 machine gun in the late 60's.

I don't use it. I am writing my own combat loads based on Team assignment.

Rifleman (most common), Radio Operator, Team Leader, Field Scientist, First Contact, Light support, Vehicle crewman, etc, etc, etc.

Basing that weapons load out around the job description. Things like the M202 wouldn't be a primary load. That is mission specific equipment, same for the FIM-92 stinger.

Do I like the Stoner system? Yes. Do I use it in the game? Only if the PCs want to play a vintage game.

As for going up in caliber. No. 5.56 will get the job done and basically you get two 5.56 for one 7.62 considering weight. If you are really concerned about damage the Morrow Project is a private organization and not bound by Geneva/Hague, hollow points are in then.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:55 PM

honestly there aren't many weapons systems with the level of interchangeability of the Stoner. figuring the project would desire the capability to adjust the weapon to the mission as events change i could suggest either the G36 series or the ACR as they have similar capabilities if you want to modernise them and keep that ability.(although you will loose the belt fed option you get a 100rd drum instead.)
the best course of action when all is against you is to slow down and think critically about the situation. this way you are not blindly rushing into an ambush and your mind is doing something useful rather than getting you killed.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:20 AM

Thanks guys. I had been thinking about the .303 vs 5.56 round simply because it seems more .303 carbines or battle rifles are coming into the market. Sgt. I agree about the issue of weight, and normally I like a game in which restrictions are tight on players, but given the cargo capacity of the Project, I am unsure whether the difference would be that substantial. A friend, an army colonel, prefers the .303 round simply because it is more effective in the field. Married with a more precise rifle, it would seem a good balance of both worlds, but I am unsure.

With regard to the Stoner system, what got me thinking about it was that the Stoner was a rare system and not a perfect system- although favored by SEAL teams in Vietnam. Stoner seemed to be ahead of his time. What got me thinking about this was the M4 system and accessories - SOPMOD 1 and 2 and M4 MWS as kits that allow for adaptability for a weapon that is widely used. That's a leap before a light machine gun.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:25 PM
Internet Intellectual

Welsh,

.303 is the British rimmed case of WW2 fame for the Lee Enfields and BREN guns.

I think you mean .30 cartridges and there are many that have that bullet diameter and vary widely on case length and capacity.

I think you are going for 7.62 NATO as your cartridge? A .30 on a battle rifle capacity brass casing being 7.62x51mm vs 30.06 a .30 on a larger capacity case the 7.62x63mm

I can see the reasoning for a .30 caliber battle rifle. .30 was the smallest caliber deemed possible by the U.S. Army Ordnance department that could still drop a charging horse pre-WW1.

Shoots through 30 inches of pine boards, etc.

Having a precise rifle paired with good ammo and a good scope is great but, the reality is that not everyone gets to be a sniper shooting without being detected.