RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Morrow Project/ Project Phoenix Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2011, 10:30 PM

Default Hey all

Hey guys!

I'm new to the forum here ... clearly. I first played Morrow Project back when I was a teen, ie. in the 80's, and while our group alway ended up getting bored and just start blowing the crap out of things, the game always tuck with me. I always remembered the combat system of course ... very different form the sword and sorcery and superhero games I was acquainted with.

Anyway, I had mentioned it to a friend a few months and back, and what does he dig me up for my birthday? Yep the "old"(?) rule-book!

We've being playing off and on since.

The campaign is set on Vancouver Island, Canada, posits that the War didn't take place until at least 1991, following in the wake of the coup against the Gorbachev regime ... which proved to be successful and, not unlike events portrayed in the documentary like movie "World War 3" (on Youtube in 10 parts incidently), quickly led to an end of the "Great Thaw" and a global meltdown of nuclear proportions.

My campaign also differs from standard MP in a couple of other ways. One, the team was awakened 70 years after the fact. So, while effectively no one alive remembers the aftermath, they are only a few generations removed, with rare elders recalling the stories of parents who lived through it. Cultural memory is still relatively fresh. Likewise, structures. One hundred and fifty years just seemed like a little too much. I watch too much Aftermath I guess.

The other, more significant deviation is that it includes ... zombies. No. Not Blue Undead, but slow, lumbering Romero-style zombies. I'm not sure how widespread it is. So far, I plan on isolating it to the island, particularly the south. As the players have discovered, while the ruins of Courtenay/Comox -- former home of the Comox airforce base -- are sprinkled with them, the city of Nanaimo was crawling with them.

They had to rescue a Science team, which had awakened around the same time as the Recon team only to find their base filled with a foot of water, their equipment ruined, the outer door to the vehicle bay jammed, and of course, the small city overhead alive with the walking dead.

I imagine the zombies are the result of some biological weapon, perhaps some mutant strain of something released. So far, I have it originating in Victoria (former) home of CFB Esquimalt, with survivors of the Esquimalt blast carry it up to Nanaimo with them.

The collective team is currently on their way down to Victoria, where the Sci-Team has a back-up base ... beneath the University of Victoria ... that they believe survived the blast.

Beyond a variety of small subsistence communities spread throughout the island, made up of "normal" survivors -- one of which I'm thinking of making a less then normal commune of "Wiccans-gone-wrong" lol -- their are also a scattering of communities comprised of those born with hideous defects and so cast out. They tend to look like the freaks from "the Hills Have Eyes", but who have proven to date to be more scared than anything.

The north of the island, with it's smaller more self-reliant communities to begin with I think is much better organized than the citified south. Raiders are known to sweep through the southern communities from the north. Wether they're all united or not is still up in the air, but one is clearly dominant, and I'm thinking of making their leader a MP member who's group was awakened some 15 to 20 years earlier ... him being the last survivor of his crew, and possibly because he murdered one of two of them. He's an effective leader, for his particular tribe of "Road Warrior" type brutes, but he doesn't at all mind them prospering off the misert of others.

Their main opponent to date will likely be Native Indian communities, and there will be lots of racial tensions there.

Its neat to think back and remember what things were like in, 1987 when the Recon team went under, early 1991 when the Sci-Team went under. As each member was allowed a cassette tape as a comfort item, I Googled the top fifties chart for the respective years to lay down a soundtrack for the game session! lol

My son is playing a character ... the 13 year old computer whiz child of the Sci-Teams medical doctor. You should have seen his face when he asked me what kind of computer he had, and I said he had state of the art ... a Mac "as small" as a briefcase and weighing a "mere" 14 lbs! And of course, he wanted to access the 'net, but as his character knew the WWW. was only in the proposal state when they went under ... and the next generation of video games was visible on the horizon

No Nirvana, no Pearl Jam, the Scorpions never wrote "the Winds of Change" ...

Anyway, a fun game so far. And so far, they've had an overwhelming advantage in firepower against all adversity. They have, collectively, lost 3 or 4 members (not counting the 3 that died in stasis), but those were freak occurrences.

From the Recon team, the resident combat vet died in the tube. And then the zoologist bit it during their second encounter with "bio-plague victims", ie. zombies. A few had wandered into a building they'd holed up in for the night, tripping the entry frag-trip-line. They raced to the top of the stairs to see what had happened, only to see two more lumbering ever closer to the bottom of the stairs ... where they had rigged a second frag-tripline. The zoologist order them back, warning them of the trap over and over, while the other more sensible two ducked for cover. He took a frag to the neck and the face.

A couple of the Science team died in the tube as well, including one of their three combat vets. And another of the combat vets died when they first strayed out into the city above and encountered the "bio-plague victims" for the first time. And the final combat vet died after Recon had rescued them. He had taken the recon guys to check out a building to hole up in for the night, and not only did their just happen to be a very hungry, very scared, and very wet (a mansoon had just ended) cougar in their, but half it's bite hit his unprotected neck, while one of it's foreclaws tore his face/scalp off in it's opening pounce. Getting hit anywhere else ...

I have a campaign journal that "John LaBlanc", one of the two remaining Recon guys is keeping, that I'd like to post on here if there are no objections. Hopefully some will get a kick out of them!

Cheers!
Old 09-06-2011, 05:27 AM

Welcome!

And I'd like to see the campaign journal. It's always interesting to see how other people do things & view things

Matt W
Old 09-06-2011, 09:30 PM
Internet Intellectual

Welcome Aboard. Just keep posting.

Someone will chime in .............................

eventually.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:05 PM

Is this your campaign site?

http://mpnorth.wordpress.com/

I've been watching it for months...
Old 09-08-2011, 08:11 PM

Nope, not mine. I remember taking a look at that one though a few months back. Cool stuff!
Old 09-09-2011, 08:56 AM

test (sorry guys)
Old 09-09-2011, 09:08 AM

I've been trying to post my write up on my MP zombies and the virus ... I tried posting it in it's own thread, no luck ... pending moderator approval. I tried posting it under my MP: Van Isle thread, no luck ... pending moderator approval. I post the "test" (above), no problem, done. ???????
Old 09-25-2011, 05:31 AM

I enjoy reading about your campaign. Are you from the area or living in the area that it takes place in? How many players do you have? I'm thinking of starting a campaign with friends and I like how you are keeping it pretty simple.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMars71 View Post
I've been trying to post my write up on my MP zombies and the virus ... I tried posting it in it's own thread, no luck ... pending moderator approval. I tried posting it under my MP: Van Isle thread, no luck ... pending moderator approval. I post the "test" (above), no problem, done. ???????

Try editing the posts that did appear. Create the write up in a word processor program & then copy/paste it into the post
Old 09-25-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rundlemk1 View Post
I enjoy reading about your campaign. Are you from the area or living in the area that it takes place in? How many players do you have? I'm thinking of starting a campaign with friends and I like how you are keeping it pretty simple.
Yeah, I'm from Victoria on Vancouver Island. I only have two players, but have long since grown accustomed to small numbers/playing lotsa npcs. lol

Oh, thanks! I'm glad you're enjoying the entries!