RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 03-22-2009, 11:59 AM
Staff Headquarter Weinie

Default Moving Around

Hey Everybody

Just soming that came to mind as I was working on an adventure (I going to post it when is done) but how would governments get around in the aftermath, I mean avgas and regular gas would in short supply. Most of it would held by the miltary, so any thing you needed move from one area to another would done by road and only the most important stuff would moving by air.

Dose this sound logical

I see a network of FOB's and convoys traveling beteewn them, the convoy would made up cargo vehciles, passanger vehciles and force protection element

any other thoughs
Old 03-22-2009, 01:29 PM

I come back on an old subject we discussed some time ago but, in several countries, railways can remain an option.

Several steam engine locomotive can still be found and they could be refited for that purpose with several wagon being armored and artillery being fitted. A large amount of rail equipements will still be around.

Another possibility I don't think we have been discussing so far, is river transportation. In the original game I recall reading something on the Danube and that's what is described in "Pirates of the Vistula".

- You might still find some river transportation in the Americas: Mississippi, Potomac, St.Laurent, Great Lakes, Amazone river...
- You'll find some as well in Africa, Asia and Europe: Rhone, Meuse, Elbe, Niger, Yang-Tse... However, the boats will change: small boats in Asia or Africa and larger ones in Europe.
- River transportation will also be in use in Russia: the Transiberian is going East-West but extensive water roads are linking the Black Sea and the Caspian sea to the Baltic Sea.
The russians still have a fairly large number of river patrol ship but that is also true for Brazil, Hungary, Vietnam...

Finally, sea transportation could be use as well and may be extensively. I'm not talking of trans-oceanic travel but I'm simply thinking about coasters (small cargo, sailing boats, adapted fishing ships, river ships...). You can find them almost everywhere and you don't need huge harbors. With coasters wharves are more than enough.

In all these cases, protection will always be the problem but convoys can be used. If you need fairly large ships (at least sea going ones) to protect an high sea convoy that is not the case anymore with coasters and river shipping. You just need to put some kind of weapon and why not armour on civilian ships. I think that at some point the Corpus Christi is facing fast motor boat (at least on the illustration).
Of course, weather will be the other problem and you'll always need to remain close to the coast in order to find some kind of refuge if a storm comes up.

Last edited by Mohoender; 03-22-2009 at 11:05 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:48 PM

Ralroads are a possibility. Either steam engines or trucks. Using rails increases the load limit.