RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Archive

Old 01-21-2010, 11:54 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default Smoke

kcdusk 12-04-2005, 03:23 PM I'm trying to find the effects of smoke grenades in v2.2.

On page 222 it talks about a smoke round from FASCAM, roll 1D6 to determine how many rounds it takes for smoke to form, the first 30 seconds of smoke is thin then 2 minutes of dense before another 30 seconds of thin.

Do smoke grenades get a mention anywhere?

Would shooting or siting through thin smoke be one level harder, and dense smoke two levels harder (or is it impossible)?

kcdusk 12-04-2005, 09:09 PM Page 223 - light smoke obscures visability and dense smoke blocks visability completley.

Still counldnt find anything else on smoke grenades though to know what sort of smoke they generate and for how long.

ReHerakhte 12-05-2005, 02:46 AM According to the 2.0 edition book 'Heavy Weapons', smoke hand grenades (listed as chemical grenades) do Damage C:1, B:12 and the "...cloud covers an area the width of the burst area and four times as long as the burst area. The cloud originates at the burst point and stretches downwind."

The explanation is on page 4 under the CHEM title.

You can also find the same explanation on page 222 of the 2.2 book under the title CHEMICAL WARFARE starting at the second paragraph although it isn't as concise.

The info you quote from page 222 about FASCAM smoke is from that section and is not actually about FASCAM (which is a delivery system for laying remote minefields). The info provided about Smoke rounds applies to any round that delivers smoke be it grenade, artillery round or mortar bomb etc.

Cheers,

Kevin

kcdusk 12-05-2005, 03:02 AM So we're talking Damage C:1, B:12 and the "...cloud covers an area the width of the burst area and four times as long as the burst area. The cloud originates at the burst point and stretches downwind."

Light smoke obscures vision ... dense smoke blocks all vision ...

Targan 12-05-2005, 03:25 AM The PCs in my campaign nearly always prefer to use WP rounds when they want to create smoke in the vicinity of enemy forces, because they always consider inflicting damage to opponents and their equipment to be desirable even if generating smoke is their main aim. WP smoke covers a wider area than hexachlor smoke because WP rounds throw fragments of white phosphorous in all directions and each fragment generates smoke of its own.

I am assuming that if a smoke round detonates in an enclosed space or when there is no breeze at all, you would all rule that the smoke-affected area is circular, the smoke cloud is more dense and its duration is greater?

Anyone got stats, area affects and rounds for the fixed-direction smoke round launchers mounted on the front of APCs and AFVs?

Badbru 12-05-2005, 11:05 AM Just from memory, I really ought to check, but I think smoke grenades (Thrown) are like the Fascam you mentioned earlier light smoke for one round, four rounds of dense smoke, then one more round of light smoke before total dissapation. Cloud drifts downwind primary radius wide x four or maybe x 5 long.

As for the smoke dispensers on vehicles I treated them the same as thrown grenades and placed there starting discharge point a d10 meters from the side of the vehicle that the discharger was mounted on.

Targan 12-05-2005, 11:18 AM FASCAM is an acronym for Family of Scatterable Mines. It is a system used in larger artillery projectiles and rocket payloads, and I suspect it was mentioned in relation to the area of effect of smoke grenades/rounds because FASCAM sub-munitions are deployed in a predictable "footprint", with some designed to detonate a shaped charge when they hit a hard target from above and others which act as contact-triggered land mines, thus denying the footprint area to the enemy (and one's own forces).

kcdusk 12-07-2005, 03:31 PM I'd agree targan about smoke in a confined space being denser (although once its dense it cant be seen through - so what does it matter?) and also lasting longer. But ...

Would it be circular if its in a confined space (ie no wind)? I would think so, but would the smoke rise to the top of the room or would it sink down like dry ice? I'd think it would "fill" a room, hell, even two rooms and a corridor inside.

Milano 12-07-2005, 06:45 PM Just a silly question but most modern smoke grenade dischargers, ie from vehicles, will interfere with thermal vision sights and obviously normal vision. Do smoke HAND grenades do the same?

Do they make them? Is the color different?

kcdusk 12-07-2005, 08:03 PM The rule book says smoke interferes with thermal imaging - so i would say hand grenade smoke would interfer as well as other types.

Just on smoke, by all accounts it is harder to see OUT of than it is to see IN. If there was alot of smoke around, i could imagine it being very disorientating and you could maybe run out of it INTO the enemy rather than away from them. Vehicles popping smoke might loose thermal sites, but they have popped smoke for a reason, and thats because they know they have been sited and/or a bigger gun is on the field. So evasion would be their priority.

Targan 12-07-2005, 10:49 PM MBTs and APCs in a skirmish line and commencing an attack run may launch smoke to obscure light vehicles and/or dismounted infantry following behind.

kato13 12-08-2005, 03:56 AM I remembered paul's site had some information on what gets blocked by certain types of smoke.

http://www.pmulcahy.com/equipment/other_equipment.html

look for "Tactical Smoke Generator"

thefusilier 12-08-2005, 04:51 AM I'm trying to find the effects of smoke grenades in v2.2.

Do smoke grenades get a mention anywhere?

Would shooting or siting through thin smoke be one level harder, and dense smoke two levels harder (or is it impossible)?

Also to keep in mind there are about 2 main different smoke grenades. The ones listed are the usual white phosphorous ones which also kill but your just as likely to have the non-explosive smoke grenades, which can actually be more common.

Tags
chemical weapons