RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 03-27-2012, 04:29 PM
This Sourcebook Kills Fascists

Default ... and all the ships at sea.

Courtesy of Robin Laws' Google+ feed, here's some story fodder: a 150-foot fishing boat that, ah, escaped during last year's Japanese tsunami is still afloat and now wandering around the coast of British Columbia:

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/Ja...036/story.html

Now there's a way to get your PCs home after they miss the last lift to Task Force 34...

- C.

Author of The Pacific Northwest, coauthor of Tara Romaneasca, creator of several other free Twilight: 2000 and Twilight: 2013 resources, and curator of an intermittent gaming blog.

It rarely takes more than a page to recognize that you're in the presence of someone who can write, but it only takes a sentence to know you're dealing with someone who can't.
- Josh Olson
Old 03-28-2012, 06:33 AM

Thats nothing...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ttraction.html

And who is to say who else took refuge there before the strikes of November? Weapons? Food? Ammo? All sorts of pre-war goodies.

Any port in a storm!

Colour Sergeant Bourne: And a bayonet, sir, with some guts behind.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:16 AM

Thanks for posting that Dude. I think I might include Tregothnan in a future update of my Cornish material...looks like it might make an appropriate residence for the Duke.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_uk View Post
Thats nothing...
I can't see ANY ships there in T2K. All shipping would be needed to transport troops and supplies to the numerous theatres as well as carry on with "normal" commerce. Remember during WWII there was nowhere near enough ships to supply just the UK's needs, in WWIII demand will be even greater.

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Old 03-28-2012, 10:46 AM
Staff Headquarter Weinie

I could also see Planes being used too I mean a lot of arline companies are going to hurting and would mind the bussiness or they just could end up being pressed into service, granted they can't carry the same stuff ships can or in huge quantlies, but remember the Berlin Airlift?
Old 03-28-2012, 06:22 PM
The Stat Guy

I've always thought that an interesting side "scenario" for the T2K world would be something based on The Last Ship (an excellent book in my opinion, by William Brinkley). One of the last intact major US Navy vessels in the world after a general nuclear exchange, with a captain desperately trying to hold the crew (and himself) together, an XO who essentially devolves into a psychopath under the pressure, (IIRC) three mutinies (two of which were rather messily put down), and being pursued by a Soviet Boomer who is, unbeknownst to them, is just trying to join forces for survival with what they believe may be the only other people in the world. Not to mention that some 15% of the crew are women, who very often must be protected from other members of their own crew and aren't sure who amongst their crew they actually can trust.

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 03-28-2012, 06:23 PM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcaf_777 View Post
I could also see Planes being used too I mean a lot of arline companies are going to hurting and would mind the bussiness or they just could end up being pressed into service, granted they can't carry the same stuff ships can or in huge quantlies, but remember the Berlin Airlift?
And Puff the Magic Dragon flies again! I love it!

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 03-28-2012, 08:51 PM

It's my understanding many commercial airline pilots are headhunted from the military. Most of those are likely to be recalled into service as replacements or to fly some of the older mothballed planes.
This may cause a shortage or qualified pilots in the civilian area.
Additionally, jumbos are somewhat vulnerable to enemy attack and could suffer from EMP. My guess is you won't see a lot of civilian flights after July 1997.

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Old 03-29-2012, 05:58 AM

That does make the idea of the ship carrying fuel used for Operation Omega just floating around the ocean a bit more believable.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:35 PM

IMO by the spring of 97 at latest all the mothballed vessels would be at sea, at least those deemed seaworthy. It depends on age and how long they were mothballed, as well as how fast crews can be found and pressed into service.

Civil aircraft in the US are in the Civil Air Reserve Fleet (CRAF), hence they would be military transports. Civil aircraft maybe more vulnerable than military to EMP, but I wonder really how much more than the military transports. The pilots that are not in the USAF Reserve or Air NG, would be flying the CRAF. Yeah a LOT of the airline pilots at the time learned to fly and got their hours in the military.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Six View Post
Thanks for posting that Dude. I think I might include Tregothnan in a future update of my Cornish material...looks like it might make an appropriate residence for the Duke.
Nice idea!

My original thought was what sort of goodies can we hide here? A ship hiding there during the strikes and the crew abandoning it.

Anything that might Particular keep the duke in power against challenger 2's? Ammo I think is the main thing.

Colour Sergeant Bourne: And a bayonet, sir, with some guts behind.