RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Archive
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2010, 09:12 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default Is anyone actually playing?

Death From Above 04-30-2004, 09:19 AM I been gone a while, and was wondering if anyone is still actually playing this RPG.

I don't mean making a newer version of it, but playing it as-is.

Antenna 04-30-2004, 09:22 AM I played tha canon story as late as feb/2004 but with some Houserules of mine (and others). We going to play T2k in Sept this year again hopefully if I get a crowd together to pay some. until August/2004 we play some Dark Conspiracy with the same rules as T2k v2.2 but with emapthy.

Antenna

thefusilier 04-30-2004, 02:56 PM I still play every now and then with a few people. We use the basic rules, with just a few addons. Not as much as in the years before, but it is still an interest for us.

Andy-Shot 04-30-2004, 04:29 PM I would love to play again, but I cant right now. Hopefully I will get a chance. This game doesnt really draw many new people. This new generation doesnt want to use their imagination, they want everything in pixels. Hell, trying to explain what the cold war was like to some people is next to impossible.

I think this game is fueled only by the die hards now. Twilight 2000 was the very first RPG that I was ever exposed to, so it holds a special place in my heart. That, and the fact that the game was so well written too.

I really dont get much involved with the off shoots. I still like v 1.0 the best.

TiggerCCW UK 04-30-2004, 04:54 PM Just preparing a Dark Conspiracy campaign. I tried my group with T2K, but they weren't keen on the military angle, so DC is the nearest I can get.

TR 05-01-2004, 12:49 AM Not playing this one right now, the only semi-regular game I'm playing currently is Traveller. However my brother is actually going to be starting up his gaming group with a new round in few weeks and will be going with Twilight: 2000.

It's still out there and still being played, as amazing as it sounds... and for the RPGHost Community Forums Twilight is the 3rd most popular board right behind Villans & Vigilantes and AD&D.

Later,

TR

Ed the Coastie 05-01-2004, 12:36 PM Not playing at present, but that is primarily due to a recent move that, among other things, inadvertantly put my T2K books in storage.

Once I have regained them, I hope to start a new game here in my new town. Assuming, of course, that the Army doesn't show up on my doorstep with a letter that begins: "Congratulations. Your friends and neighbors..."

ChalkLine 05-22-2004, 04:11 AM Only via e-mail, although a few people have talked about it around here.

My PbEM is still going, five years and counting, and Graebarde's has hit 2000+ posts some time back.

Orrin's T2K-POW seems to have stalled, it's been five months since we heard from him.

There's a few other PbEMs kicking around, I'm not sure who's running them. T2K may be old, but it's alive and kicking n the net.

(Sheez, things sure have changed here!)

graebarde 05-23-2004, 08:00 PM Hey Chalkie,

Good to see you in the hall again. I know you have alot to add to the forums, and there might even be something new in here fo ya.

Yeah it would be great to have a FTF session, but what kid wants an ol fart playin FTF? Even if I am only 16!! (with fourty anniversaries to prove it!)

I'm a PBeM player all the way now. And there are many games out there. Go to yahoogroups and search twilight 2000. I find PBeM as a HoG great (sometimes) , as I can utilize the advantagesof the computer to help illustrate the setting (not always successful as it does require the players to READ THE DAMN FILES!!!)

Grae

Andy-Shot 05-24-2004, 01:10 AM I suppose with programs like Roger Wilco or Team Speak you could play in a chat room, and just upload maps and things to your players.

Might be an interesting idea.

If not a voice chat, a messenger chat could also work....

Death From Above 05-24-2004, 09:29 AM Or webcams........

graebarde 05-24-2004, 01:09 PM only problem with chat games is getting guys together and hooked up sometimes.. when you have players in Europe, Iraq, Australia (both coasts), and the US (both coasts and in between) it's a logisitcal nightmare for chat.

grae

Ed the Coastie 05-25-2004, 07:52 PM Now that I have been re-united with my gaming stuff (including my T2K collection), I am looking at starting a new game. Since the bulk of my gaming group is 100 miles south, we had been discussing a Play-by-Email game or something similar.

Any ideas on how to set something like this up? Graebeard?

ChalkLine 05-25-2004, 08:48 PM The simplest and I think most popular method is to start a gaming group at YahooGroups.

Beware people with names such as 'jhg57y@hotmail.com' trying to join, they may well be e-mail address trawlers for spam mechants, I write on the home page intro that surfers see 'please do not attempt to join without introducing yourself to the moderator via the e-mail addy at the bottom of the page, or your request will be denied.'

Yahoo gives you memory space for files that is very useful for maps and unit rosters etc, as well as a links page for direction to house rules on the web, a photo gallery and a poll function. It's free.

Dice servers like Rondak's Portal (http://www.rondaksportal.com/) are cool but I find the dice function over at Rondak's very primitive, it's just easier if the GM makes all the rolls.

You can start a forum based game, such as would probably be available here, but I find the restraints imposed by a public forum limiting, I let my players swear and be violent if the story requires it and a forum moderator may have issues with this.

The norm is for the GM to make all the rolls.

I am very anal about posters, even if players have nothing to say they should still post, a description of what their PC is doing adds to the enjoyment and gives the GM something to 'play off'. Also, if something suddenly occurs you don't have to backtrack four weeks of posts to find out what Mr Silent is doing.

My system is I post turns twice a week, players have until my next regular turn to post or I NPC them. If they miss three turns without contacting me I 'walk their PC offstage' and out of the action so I don't have to have this zombie cluttering up the game, if something occured to stop the PC posting such as a computer meltdown I just write them back in.

One thing I try and stop players doing is 'thinking out loud', this is where they post "My PC thinks that his PC is a total f*ckwit", it starts lots of mental non conversations that mess up the game, I just ban it outright.

Another thing you have to watch is players that do not respond to conversations from other PCs, this leads to the dreaded 'everyone talking to the air' where players start talking out loud so their PC is not stuck if another PC ignores them.

PbEM is very slow but very detailed, a small unit assault on a hill took my PCs a year of real time, it's not worth while doing long stories in play. I involve long running themes and ongoing subplots but I try and keep the action fast and flowing with clear transitions.

graebarde 05-25-2004, 10:24 PM Ed,

Chalkie said it all, I learned from him

I dont have a set time post in OpFred at present. With some breaks over the past year due to computer crashes, and illness, and moving.. we have covered about THREE day, but what THREE days they have been LOL.

In Gopher Tails I have gone with another approach however, and in six weeks we have surpassed 750 posts, and covered a couple of weeks.

Grae

Ed the Coastie 05-25-2004, 11:36 PM Email trawlers shouldn't be a problem, since I was looking pretty much just for a way for my old gaming group to get together with me on a semi-regular basis between my infrequent visists back there (which is when we would resolve face-to-face stuff). I was figuring on either a play-by-post or else a regularly-scheduled chat.

The disadvantage to chat (in addition to coordinating everyone being on-line at the same time) is that I will have to run a network in my home so that my wife (one of the players) can join in.

The disadvantage to PbP is that there is no real-time interaction with me. With the exception of my wife, the rest of the players are all in the same town and can co-ordinate their actions fairly well. (Not that they do even in table-top gaming...)

But thanks for the ideas. I'll let you all know what I come up with.

Lindgaard 05-26-2004, 01:18 AM I'm not playing at the moment. My campaign has been on hold since december, due to "real life" ( moving house in december and having a baby in january ! ).

I have just gotten hold of the v 2.2 rulebook and plan on playing again in a week or two.

Regards

Lindgaard

pmulcahy 05-26-2004, 07:34 AM I haven't played in a long time, but my therapist is recommending that I get into a PBEM as a step towards getting back into society.

Dogger 05-26-2004, 11:59 AM Still play now and then...getting ready to get back into a new T2K game arc soon.

jtar7242 06-13-2004, 04:21 AM Some friends of mine and I are actually starting up a new v1/v2 hybrid of T2K soon. Going to work with v2 using some tweaks to the system to bring it up to a timeline that takes into account much of the nineties while retaining the original timeline. Mostly issues taken to add some realism to the careers and equipment, including custom rules for the modern ballistic plate body armors, modern weaponry and ToE, as well as more realistic class definitions and skill choices.