RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Archive
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2010, 09:13 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default Possible 3rd ID UA TOE

shrike6 05-02-2004, 08:30 PM http://www.orbat.com/site/orbats/dat...y_newtoes.html

Abbott Shaull 05-03-2004, 08:38 AM Very interesting indeed. So do they plan on doing the 1st Armored and 1st Mechanized Divisions too?

It will be interesting to see what units get added to the Light Divisions and those added to the 82nd and 101st. Adding another Airborne Brigade. Well only makes sense just wonder where it will be located at.

shrike6 05-04-2004, 03:30 PM Originally posted by Abbott Shaull

Very interesting indeed. So do they plan on doing the 1st Armored and 1st Mechanized Divisions too?

yeah, it lists that 10 divisions will be transformed (6 heavy, 3 Light, 1Air Assault) If I had to guess before 4th ID and 1st Cav Div.

Originally posted by Abbott Shaull

It will be interesting to see what units get added to the Light Divisions and those added to the 82nd and 101st. Adding another Airborne Brigade. Well only makes sense just wonder where it will be located at.

Not sure where the Pacific Airborne Brigade will be based. Although I'll guess that one of the units for that brigade would be 1-501st airborne which is currently parentless.

shrike6 05-28-2004, 10:33 AM 4th UA, 3rd ID activated

4th UA OOB

3rd- 7th Infantry Regiment

4- 64th Armor Regiment

6- 8th Cavalry

1- 76th Field Artillery Regiment

703rd Brigade Support Battalion

4th Special Troops Battalion

4th Unit of Action activated at Stewart

In-Depth Coverage

Army News Service

Release Date: 5/27/2004

FORT STEWART, Ga. (Army News Service, May 27, 2004) -- The 3rd Infantry Division activated its 4th Unit of Action in a ceremony May 26 at Fort Stewart.

Col. Edward C. Cardon assumed command of the 4th UA, "Vanguard," adding a fourth brigade unit of action to the 3rd ID, the first division to reorganize under the Army's new modularity concept.

Realizing the vision of Army Chief of Staff Gen. Peter Schoomaker, officials said the 4th UA is organized to combine combat and combat-service-support Soldiers under the same command -- typically the way the division deployed to Operation Iraqi Freedom.

The Army will grow from 33 combat brigades to between 43 and 48, senior officials said, adding up to 15 units of action under the modularity process.

The 4th UA is composed of the 3rd Battalion, 7th Infantry Regiment; 4th Battalion, 64th Armor Regiment; 6th Squadron, 8th Cavalry; 1st Battalion, 76th Field Artillery Regiment; 703rd Brigade Support Battalion, and the 4th Special Troops Battalion. The STB combines military intelligence, signal, and military police units under a single battalion.

Maj. Gen. William G. Webster Jr., 3rd ID commander, said, "The chief of staff of the Army gave us the mission to reorganize the Marne Division back in September."

"Nine months later, you are the living example of his vision and what will become 15 new self-sustaining brigade combat team-sized units in our Army," he added.

"Today is a historic day, one of profound change," said Cardon. "This ceremony is a straightforward example of the tremendous change now underway in our Army," he said.

"We have inactivated the best Engineer Brigade in the Army and activated a new combat brigade to meet new challenges that face our Army," he added.

Webster told the Soldiers on the field to "work hard, play hard, and take care of each other."

"Ensure that you are the master of your individual soldier and team skills, but remember," he added, "no matter what your specialty is -- clerk, tanker, or infantryman -- that everyone is a rifleman first."

The Army is currently transforming into a more brigade-focused organization in order to be more responsive to regional combatant commanders' needs, and facilitate force packaging and rapid deployment, officials said.

Modularity provides rapid identification of UAs and packaging for short-notice missions to meet the combatant commanders' needs, officials said. They said modularity also provides greater readiness within the UAs, as the infantry, armor, cavalry, field artillery, and support units train together at all times.

(Editor's note: Information provided by the 3rd ID Public Affairs Office.)

Abbott Shaull 06-01-2004, 08:24 PM So what happen to the 3-7th Cavalry which served as the 3rd Mech Division in Operation Iraqi Freedom as the Divisional Cavalry Squadron. Did it get reflagged to the 6-8th Cavalry? Just wondering since this organization wasn't touch on.

Abbott

shrike6 06-02-2004, 06:51 AM I don't have a complete orbat for the division yet, Abbott. Although the 2nd UA is to have a Cavalry Squadron as well. So that might be where the 3-7th will end up.

Abbott Shaull 06-02-2004, 09:42 AM Shrike6,

Okay. I was just wondering since I have been reading over the material and hasn't been adding up. It would seem the logical if 6-8th Cav is suppose to mixture of M3 and Armored HMMWV that maybe instead of 2 Light Infantry Battalion(to be Motorized) that they would the 6-8th Cav is an outgrowth of the reorganization of the 3-7th Cav.

So maybe of 2 new light Infantry units, maybe they will be taking the Divisional Cav units and splitting them up??? So now it could be the Cav Squadron is used to form the core of 2 Cav Squadrons and then only 1 Light Infantry Battalion(Motorized) is required. Which would mean you could end up having Mechanized and Armored Division more or less looking identical instead of mirror images which since two of the three active 'Mech' Division are still configured as Armored.

Now here is the million dollar question(Besides a little OT) for those who have the war starting in the future instead of 1996... When the US gets involved in it. As National Guard and Reserve units are inducted what would happen...

Would the US Army in it wisdom try to convert the National Guard Division before they went overseas to the new Regular Army TOE by taking a the collection of Seperated and Enhance Brigades and having them join a NG Division.

Or would you see the Army going in the other direction of stripping a Brigade from the 10 Divisions and then taking the Brigades and the Seperated/Enhance Brigades(Regular/NG/Reserve) and forming new Divisions which would lack the organic Aviation and DISCOM units at first, but these short comings would be made up be Corps units being assigned to fill the gaps.

hmmm....

Abbott

shrike6 06-12-2004, 09:27 PM Complete 3rd ID UA orbat

http://www.stewart.army.mil/Display....D-7AAF2FBE0CE7

1st Brigade Unit of Action

HHC, 1st UA

1st Bn, 41st FA

1st Bn, 3d Bde troop Bn

2nd Bn, 7th Infantry

3rd Bn, 69th Armor

5th Sqdn., 7th Cavalry

1st Bn, 3d ADA

2nd Brigade Unit of Action

HHC, 2nd UA

1st Bn, 64th Armor

1st Bn, 9th Field Artillery

26th Forward Supt. Bn

3rd Bn, 15th Infantry

3rd Sqdn., 7th U.S Cav.

4th Sqdn., 6th Cavalry

3rd ID units

at Fort Benning, Ga.

3rd Brigade Unit of Action

HHC, 3rd UA

1st Bn, 10th Field Artillery

1st Bn, 15th Infantry

1st Bn, 30th Infantry

2nd Bn, 69 Armor

203rd Forward Supt. BN

4th Brigade Unit of Action

HHC, 4th UA

1st Bn, 76th Field Artillery

3rd Bn, 7th Infantry

4th Bn, 3rd Bde Troop Bn

4th Bn, 64th Armor

6th Sqdn., 8th Cavalry

703d Main Supt. Bn

Aviation Brigade

HHC, Avn Bde

1st Bn, 3rd Aviation (Attack)

2nd Bn, 3rd Aviation

3nd Bn, 3rd Aviation

4th Bn, 3rd Aviation

603d Avn Support Bn

DIVARTY

HHB, DIVARTY

1st Bn, 39th Field Artillery

Sustainment Unit of Action

HHC DISCOM

87 Corps Support BN

92d Chemical Co.

92d Engr. Bn.

260th QM Bn

559th QM Bn

3rd SSB

3rd Forward Supt. BN

3d ID(M) Band

3d Mil. Pol. BN (Prov.)

Division Chaplain

NCO Academy

SGT Audie Murphy Club

Abbott Shaull 06-13-2004, 10:14 AM Wonderful.

Looking more like a Cavalry Division than Mechanized Division and looking at some units they have under these Brigades. I have to ask myself if this was really though through or is this another military civilian leadership half-bake plan gone awired. hmmmm.....

Well as that is I would really like to see the compositions of these Cavalry Squadrons/Battalion on the equipment they will be having. Oh well.

Abbott

shrike6 06-13-2004, 05:44 PM Abbott, if I had to guess, the new Cavalry Units will probably use some sort of variation of the RSTA Squadrons in the Stryker Brigades. That's just a guess though.

Sault RPG Player 01-15-2005, 06:03 PM Yeah, that is what it would appears to be for the Heavy Divisions. Well at least they weren't the type of Light Infantry Battalions I had evision when they announced they would be adding Light Infantry units to the 3rd Mechanized Division. Now it would be interesting to seen the TO&E for the Cavalry Squadrons.

Now does the 3rd Brigade and for that matter the others too going to have Armor Cavalry Troops in the future since the 3-7th Cavalry appears to becoming a Combat Brigade Asset?

Abbott

Abbott Shaull 08-20-2005, 08:56 AM Well I was wondering now if 3rd Brigade is going to get RSTA Cavalry Squadron? I think I read something that even though that after the elements redeploy from their 2nd (Some it is third time IIRC the article correctly) from Iraq that the 3rd Division is going to be tweak some more...

Abbott