RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 12-28-2020, 01:57 PM

Default On the verge of doing some 3d printing

I'm going to start up with 3d printing soon, definitely going to have an LAV-75/RDF-LT as one of my early projects. The GI Joe Mauler hull and gun are practically 90% there, just need to modify the turret some.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3167750

Hopefully I can print it to 1/60 and hold on to the detail.
Old 12-29-2020, 09:01 AM

Cool!

My wife surprised me with an Ender 3 Pro and a kilo of grey filament for Christmas!

Bad part was, I was totally unprepared. It took me Friday AND Saturday to clear a workspace, so I only started printing Sunday. So far, so good...
Old 12-29-2020, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
Cool!

My wife surprised me with an Ender 3 Pro and a kilo of grey filament for Christmas!

Bad part was, I was totally unprepared. It took me Friday AND Saturday to clear a workspace, so I only started printing Sunday. So far, so good...
You're leaps ahead of me! I'm just getting the man-cave organized so I can have a place to set up and print. Do you find it creates a strong odor when printing? My wife is very sensitive to that kind of thing.
Old 12-29-2020, 06:47 PM

So, mine is in the basement, in my general hobby room. The laundry room and my woodworking shop are also in the basement, but separated by a wall and a door...

I have an Ender 3 Pro, printing PLA filament. So far, I'm keeping the prints down to about 2 hours max. The one overnight print I've tried so far failed because the filament jammed on the spool...

I didn't notice an odor. HOWEVER, I did break down and put the printer in an enclosure, to help with temperature/humidity issues and to keep any woodworking dust from getting on the printer parts. When I open the enclosure, I certainly DO notice a pretty strong odor.

I specifically put the printer in the basement so that I can run an exhaust fan if needed - I have a spray painting booth in my hobby room down there, ducted to the outside already. Looks like building a solid enclosure, with an exhaust fan, is my next step...
Old 12-30-2020, 11:34 AM

Very cool. I'm thinking of putting mine directly under a window (which is in a door), that way if I feel like I need to put some kind of hood with exhaust fan over it, it's easy peasy vs. running a whole lot of ductwork.