RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Morrow Project/ Project Phoenix Forum

Old 03-26-2014, 07:51 PM
Internet Intellectual

Default KFS Refit

So in 4th Edition the Morrow Project gets an equipment refit to go with the later start date of the War.

To that end, I feel the KFS should get the same treatment.

New tech for the Rich Five, their minions The 2000, then the secret police and armies of this police state.

From "Bullets & Bluegrass" we know the KFS fields the Thunderbolt fighter bomber, V-300 (and variants), M1 Abrams, M2 Bradleys (both minus fancy electronics or munitions), M102 howitzers for large caliber systems. The troops have Mini 14s for rifles, the CETME SAW, S&W M59 pistol. M2HBs and rifle grenades add punch and supporting fire power. The use M35 (2 1/2ton) trucks and M151 jeeps regularly plus extensive use of horse patrols. They can communicate via radio from the platoon level upward.

What is your take on making the KFS a credible threat to MP personnel except to the fact that there is hundreds of them, and loyal to the Rich Five too?
Old 03-27-2014, 01:39 PM

All that stuff sounds mighty credible still, unless the Morrow Project has turned a lot more heavily-armed in the 4th Edition.

The V300 always struck me as a "let's use this, since we have stats on the V150 already" solution. For a "let's stash an army in the early 21st Century" scenario, MRAP vehicles and HMMWV variants would probably be more "in-period" than V300s and M151 "mutts".

The production of M1 tanks, but with different armor, weapons, systems, engine and drive train always struck me as another "let's use an existing published description" problem. It's just "shaped" like an M1 tank at that point. In my opinion, an KFS tank would be the engine, transmission, drivetrain, tracks and suspension of whatever industrial tracked vehicle they use/produce, and simple armored hull and turret, mounting a main gun in a caliber that matches one of their artillery rounds. Building a fake 20th Century main battle tank for a century after they're needed seems a bit odd.

Of course, there might be some political, ceremonial need to make a tank that "looks" like an M1.

The KFS army is described in Bullets and Bluegrass as having seven 1300-man regiments, plus the air force, secret police, etc.. There've been long discussions about the "correct" size of the KFS military, how much manufacturing capacity they would have, etc. The Bullets and Bluegrass book suggests that the KFS is the only source for percussion primers in their trading zone.

--
Michael B.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:15 PM
Internet Intellectual

If the Iowa tank plant and the Anniston Depot are under KFS control, the M1 makes sense as does the M2.

I figure the KFS and most anyone doing any fighting does so in the 18th to mid 19th century style. From the time after crops are planted up until crops need to be harvested. Agriculture being rather labor intensive. I would not doubt that any KFS units supplement their rations (in the corrupt KFS) by growing their own. KFS units might even place a premium on capturing pre-war farming equipment and healthy livestock.

Back to weapons. I think you're right on just using stock 1980's equipment without writing stats for something new. The M35 stats and the M151 stats are in "Liberation at Riverton".

I think that the KFS should be fielding M16s and M4s unless, those are worn out. If they are taking over M1 tanks, M2 IFVs, and M102 howitzers from former army and marine units then why don't they have the small arms too?

So yeah, KFS should have M16A2s. I think it was writers bias. Someone on staff really hates the M16. No reason that the Rich Five can't have the resources and machinery to produce more. If you can make a fusion plant, what is an M16?

I would have expected simpler vehicles even some WW2 and WW1 models, not even American ones at that. Those would be cheaper to make, cheaper to operate, simpler to repair, and easier to operate. The easier to operate would be a factor when you are intentionally limiting education to keep the masses controllable. To the point of fielding things like the Hetzer.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:32 PM
Internet Intellectual

The Thunderbolt is a pretty good airplane, especially for what the KFS uses it for. I think there is a strong argument for spotter aircraft like the piper cub and a transport like the DC-3 too. In that vein, rotary wing aircraft too. The KFS has a lot of territory and the pilots of the Thunderbolts are politically connected. I don't see why there isn't a helo standing by in case one of the T-birds gets shot down.

Then the argument for more luxurious or capable aircraft for moving family members of the Rich Five or executives of the 2000 around KFS territory.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:59 PM

I think the M1 and Bradley seem unlikely, they're the product of a wealthy modern state with near limitless resources.
Where as in the dark future they're 30 and 70 tonnes of heavy metal taking lots of resources too build, gallons of petrol to move.
Like WW2 Tiger tanks they'd be sitting broken down or out fuel by the side of the road.

I'd think they'd be more likely to go along the route of Allied armour units.

Small fast, long range tanks like Shermans or T34s and a few heavily armed tank destroyers for heavier opponents.

It's probably easier to retool the factories that to carry on.

I think the M16 makes more sense, but how popular is a weapon that chews about hundreds of bullets in a sustained firefight. When industrial production is lessened and there isn't a resupply helicopter in the hanger. Perhaps a semi auto version with a smaller magazine.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:13 PM

The KFS is described as "not having had a war in a century"; I don't think they would feel the need for tank destroyers (for example) or even, perhaps, tanks.

An armored car should be more than enough to deal with the cap-and-ball musket neighbors; the Air Force can put the fear of death into Truckers and other visiting "trouble".

--
Michael B.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySGT. View Post
If the Iowa tank plant and the Anniston Depot are under KFS control, the M1 makes sense as does the M2.

I figure the KFS and most anyone doing any fighting does so in the 18th to mid 19th century style. From the time after crops are planted up until crops need to be harvested. Agriculture being rather labor intensive. I would not doubt that any KFS units supplement their rations (in the corrupt KFS) by growing their own. KFS units might even place a premium on capturing pre-war farming equipment and healthy livestock.

Back to weapons. I think you're right on just using stock 1980's equipment without writing stats for something new. The M35 stats and the M151 stats are in "Liberation at Riverton".

I think that the KFS should be fielding M16s and M4s unless, those are worn out. If they are taking over M1 tanks, M2 IFVs, and M102 howitzers from former army and marine units then why don't they have the small arms too?

So yeah, KFS should have M16A2s. I think it was writers bias. Someone on staff really hates the M16. No reason that the Rich Five can't have the resources and machinery to produce more. If you can make a fusion plant, what is an M16?

I would have expected simpler vehicles even some WW2 and WW1 models, not even American ones at that. Those would be cheaper to make, cheaper to operate, simpler to repair, and easier to operate. The easier to operate would be a factor when you are intentionally limiting education to keep the masses controllable. To the point of fielding things like the Hetzer.
For commercial, emergency use, the partial wood trucks like the WWII Opel-Blitz would allow a rapid, cheap modern transport system.