RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Archive

Old 01-21-2010, 11:41 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default Strangers in Strange Lands

Targan 11-10-2005, 11:52 PM Has anybody read anywhere, or written up themselves, information on the various military enclaves based outside their countries of origin? I am thinking of such facilities as the USMC base at Guantanamo Bay, the US facilities on Okinawa, Subic Bay in the Philipinnes (I am guessing it would not have been closed down in T:2000), the airbase at Guam, the Gurkhas seconded to Brunei, the British Royal Marines in the Falklands and on South Georgia, the various French garrisons throughout the Pacific, Denmark's garrison in Greenland, and the various Antarctic bases.

Have any Challenge Mag or other articles ever been written describing Japan's T:2000 force projection capabilities?

This question is probably one for theFusillier, in T:2000 did France send military forces to Quebec to back it in its secession from Canada, and if so, is Canada locked in a nasty war with the French?

DeaconR 11-11-2005, 07:37 AM In the challenge article there is no sign of French troops. What I think you are possibly remembering is the chapter on the blight in "Kidnapped" which is the only reference I have for French troops and support sent to Canada.

I must emphasize that in rl Canada the Quebec issue is divisive even in that province; it is not as though everyone there is a shoulder to shoulder supporter of the Bloc Quebecois. A more detailed look at a possible future for Quebec in TW2000 would also have to speculate about the immigrants who are of African, Asian and non-French European origin, of whom there is a sizeable minority.

Finally, not all french speaking units would in my opinion immediately go over to an independant Quebec. The soldiers of the 22nd Regiment Canadien Francaise (The Van Doos) for instance swear allegiance to the nation and the Queen like everyone else. I can imagine some scenario where like the 10th GTD depicted in "Return to Warsaw" that such units might become divided themselves.

thefusilier 11-11-2005, 10:17 AM Has anybody read anywhere, or written up themselves, information on the various military enclaves based outside their countries of origin? I am thinking of such facilities as the USMC base at Guantanamo Bay, the US facilities on Okinawa, Subic Bay in the Philipinnes (I am guessing it would not have been closed down in T:2000), the airbase at Guam, the Gurkhas seconded to Brunei, the British Royal Marines in the Falklands and on South Georgia, the various French garrisons throughout the Pacific, Denmark's garrison in Greenland, and the various Antarctic bases.

Have any Challenge Mag or other articles ever been written describing Japan's T:2000 force projection capabilities?

This question is probably one for theFusillier, in T:2000 did France send military forces to Quebec to back it in its secession from Canada, and if so, is Canada locked in a nasty war with the French?

There are alot of Tw2000 stuff out there refering to places you mentioned. I don't have my books but he is what I know of what you mentioned not including my own invention.

Guantanamo - Evacuated by US, reclaimed by Cuba the next day.

Brunei - Based there is 1/10th Princess Mary's Own Gurkha Rifles Regt.

Falklands - Still has a garrison, a TA battalion. Argentina got agressive but lost interest when hostilites began with Brazil.

All French overseas garrisons in place.

2 more off the top of my head...

British/German mechanized training group out in Alberta still in Canada but now located in Ontario.

British Cyprus Bases - Still present.

As far as France in Canada. A challenge article does mention a small force landing and supporting the succesion. Not much info and in my opinion highly unlikely. As mentioned above, it also isn't a clear case of "Quebec" wants to seperate and if necessary by force. I tend to think of it as Quebec in the midst of their own civil war at war with themselves as much as the national units which are also involved on the side of the loyalist. Any units Quebec separists would field would mostly be local based militia/reservist units (only small arms), pro-separist deserters from units that remained loya and of course volunteers.

As an example in my Tw2000, besides a resurgent FLQ, there is my own invention, a terrorist organization called ACID. "Acadian Coalition for an Independant Democracy", they are extremists and anarchist and also plague northern New Brunswick (many "french" Canadians there).

DeaconR 11-12-2005, 02:00 AM The Japanese OOB and the lack of info generally available on it is part of why I decided to have my players go west rather than east. Originally I was really intrigued by a general campaign area that would be set upon their arrival in Korea and then branch out along the "Black Dragon" river and Kamchatka and the Kurile Islands. But couldn't find some vital information...

If I ever do, I'll let you know.

Rainbow Six 11-12-2005, 06:32 AM Re: the French in Quebec, I haven't seen that particular article for years, but IIRC it stated something about French comabt troops being spotted in Quebec, but didn't mention any numbers / units.

I've always assumed, therefore, that any French troops in Quebec would be small in number, with their primary mission being as advisors to the Quebec forces. A secondary role would be political, with their presence reaffirming France's commitment to Quebec.

I've thought the same thing was likely in my own Country (Scotland); historically, Scotland and France have strong ties, and I think that it's highly likely that in a fragmented Scotland where various groups might be vying for power the French might make contact with one or other of the more dominant and semi legitimate factions and offer political / military support. The political support would come in French recognition of that faction as the legitimate Government of Scotland, the military support would take the form of a small group of advisors and weapons (remember in the UK, private firearm onwership is practically nil, so arming one faction with surplus French weapons could radically affect the balance of power). The French troops themselves wouldn't be involved in any combat - their role would be purely advisory (obviously they may get drawn in to the odd skirmish). The ultimate French goal would be to have the Scots join the Franco Belgian Union, thus placing a French ally on England's Border.

That's similar to how I think it might be in Quebec. The French would be fighting by proxy - the Scots against the English / other Scots factions, the Quebecois against the Canadian Federal forces.

Rainbow Six 11-12-2005, 06:41 AM There are alot of Tw2000 stuff out there refering to places you mentioned. I don't have my books but he is what I know of what you mentioned not including my own invention.

Guantanamo - Evacuated by US, reclaimed by Cuba the next day.

Brunei - Based there is 1/10th Princess Mary's Own Gurkha Rifles Regt.

Falklands - Still has a garrison, a TA battalion. Argentina got agressive but lost interest when hostilites began with Brazil.

All French overseas garrisons in place.

2 more off the top of my head...

British/German mechanized training group out in Alberta still in Canada but now located in Ontario.

British Cyprus Bases - Still present.

Also, in the Twilight World, Hong Kong would not have been handed over to the Chinese, so there would still have been a British Garrison there. IIRC correctly, there is a reference somewhere in canon to the British Forces fighting with the Chinese until such times as they linked up with the US at the Yalu River, after which they came under the command of US Forces Korea.

The Anglo / German forces in Canada always struck me as a bit odd though. They total Four regular Battalions, ie a Brigade of troops. I know that the British make regular use of the training facilities at Canadian Forces Base Suffield, Alberta, in peacetime, but I always thought it was a bit unlikely that so man regular troops would be training in Canada during a War.

What I thought you might find in Canada are various NATO aircrews - the RAF trained a lot of pilots in Canada during World War Two as they could learn to fly safely without worrying about the Germans. If the same logic applied in World War Three, you could have airmen from virtually every NATO Nation stranded in Canada after the bombs dropped.

thefusilier 11-12-2005, 07:52 AM Also, in the Twilight World, Hong Kong would not have been handed over to the Chinese, so there would still have been a British Garrison there. IIRC correctly, there is a reference somewhere in canon to the British Forces fighting with the Chinese until such times as they linked up with the US at the Yalu River, after which they came under the command of US Forces Korea.

The Anglo / German forces in Canada always struck me as a bit odd though. They total Four regular Battalions, ie a Brigade of troops. I know that the British make regular use of the training facilities at Canadian Forces Base Suffield, Alberta, in peacetime, but I always thought it was a bit unlikely that so man regular troops would be training in Canada during a War.

What I thought you might find in Canada are various NATO aircrews - the RAF trained a lot of pilots in Canada during World War Two as they could learn to fly safely without worrying about the Germans. If the same logic applied in World War Three, you could have airmen from virtually every NATO Nation stranded in Canada after the bombs dropped.

The Hong Kong garrison was beefed up to a two brigade division of mostly Gurkhas, the 6th Infantry. After fighting near the Yalu, they eventually relocated back near Hong Kong.

I expect that the units in the Anglo/German brigade would be primarily new inductees. I figure it would be hard to train new German troops with Pact forces so close, and sometimes operating behind NATO lines. Here they can train in a training area larger than some countries with total security.

An important NATO training base is in Goose Bay, Labrador, for German, British, Canadian, Dutch and American aircraft. They do mostly low level exercises since there is so few people and the terrain is difficult. Orions can also be deployed there to patrol that region of the North Atlantic giving the convoys some aircover, like the Azores would so in the mid Atlantic.

Targan 11-13-2005, 11:52 PM Thanks guys, all good info.