RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 12-16-2015, 01:20 PM

Default Binoculars

A bit boring maybe, but ...

Do many players have binoculars? Do they actively use them (does the ref make them say "i use bins" to get the modifier?)? Do they help with encounters and encounter ranges?

Something i've only just learned/started to adjust for is encounter ID. For instance if marauders were sighted at 1,000m i used to say "you see bandits on the road ahead, 1,000m". But really at that distance, you only see "group of 6 - 8 men". You likely couldn't tell uniforms, much less intentions of the group. So now i game it you have to "close" to the encounter (maybe 300m with bins") in order to get more detail on the group (uniforms, gun types, cohesiveness, intentions).
Old 12-17-2015, 05:39 AM

There was a Challenge article about the identification of men and equipment. Need to look for it.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:59 PM
History Geek

If you're using v1, vision enhancement devices are on Page 21 of the Referee's Manual. If a character has binoculars and is in a position to use them his RCN is increased by 10, or by 20 for the image intensifier. For the 2013 system magnifying devices reduce range band spotting penalties.

I consider binoculars essential because my PC group is probably weaker than most, and one of their advantages is hopefully being able to detect another group first and either avoid or get into an advantageous position and surprise the other party.

My group usually has 1 or 2 designated spotters who carry the binoculars. If they are static or the designated spotter in a vehicle (and not driving) I assume they are using their binoculars. If standing watch in shifts I assume the PC on watch is using them. If marching they have to get by with their naked eyeballs.

Several years ago someone posted a chart for recognition ranges. It is not mine, but I will re-post it because it is old and maybe no one else still has it.
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx recognition ranges.xlsx (12.4 KB, 74 views)
Old 12-17-2015, 08:36 PM
The Stat Guy

My personal experience is that players don't use binoculars as much as they should, while a real infantryman will often buy their own and carry and use them.

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 12-17-2015, 09:28 PM

Default Ye Bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b View Post
My personal experience is that players don't use binoculars as much as they should, while a real infantryman will often buy their own and carry and use them.
And Not only that but with the "new" high quality mini size it is super.
I carried a pair as a Scout on the SWAT team always in my left breast pocket of the load vest.
used a lot not just to see who is there but what have they got who else is watching me watch them etc.
Tis better to see them afor they see you.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:54 AM
Staff Headquarter Weinie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b View Post
Agreed when I was infantry I bought a Bushnell 8X21 pictured below, I'd also like to point out that in both the Canadian and British Armies, they have a scope attached to their service rifles. The C79 Optical Sight for the Canadians

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/C79_optical_sight

And the Sight Unit Small Arms, Trilux, or SUSAT for the British

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SUSAT

Both have Tritium posts and marking which offer limited night and low light capability. Not sure about the SUSAT but in 1994 C79 was standard issue to all army personnel and were attached to all C7A1 Service Rifles.

I did my basic infantry training in 1994
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2015, 06:20 PM

I recently treated myself to a pair of Nikon 5, 10 x 42 binos. My wife will "give" them to me for christmas.

My son has a pair of 9 x 20, and the increase in bino size from 20mm to 42mm is extreme! The larger size lets in so much more light, i was seriously impressed. I had them out the other evening, sun had set, it was verging on "dark" and when i looked at items through the bins it looked brighter than the naked eye.

Anyway, thats what promoted me to start this thread, and wonder how it applies in T2K.
Old 12-19-2015, 12:00 AM

I have a pair of entry level Astronomy binocs that are 10x50 and weigh a ton. But they are really good for regular hikes and such. Last X-mas I treated myself to a pair of Steiner Marine binocs. The internal compass is a bit overboard without a boat but they are really clear. These are 7x50 IIRC but still weigh alot.
Old 12-19-2015, 01:03 PM

... In a situation like t2k I would imagine any sort of image magnification would be vital, since most means of gathering intel are sparce at best, if even functioning. No satellites, few radios, things have been reduced to ww1 level of things for the most part. Besides as the others have said, even in a modern setting binocs are life savers.
Old 12-28-2015, 11:14 PM

Default British optics

The L9A1 SUSAT was available from the outset for the SA80 series. It was fitted to all infantry rifles and all LSWs (IRL it was also fitted to the LMG and M2). Iron sighted versions of the SA80 were issued to support troops. Units with the older SLRs were issued with a very simiar sight called L2A2 SUIT (Sight Unit Infantry Trilux) although this was less common (at most 1-2 per section - really as a dedicated marksman item before the term was used). Suit could also be fitted to the GPMG. Both very poor in jungle conditions and many units here switched to using iron sight. IRL SA80s have generally been upgraded to newer sights.
Old 12-28-2015, 11:46 PM

Default Soviets

And as a quick thought the RPG has a 2.5x optic scope
Old 01-03-2016, 01:59 AM

Location: Equaly at home in the water, the mountains and the desert.

Per the game I always gave the players a +1 bonus for using binocs.

In real life as a range instructor I bought my own pair because the kids hungover at the targets and line shack were slow in scoring. As a squadleader and mortar crewman these also came in handy. Used em so much the case rotted away from jungle funk.

I will point out. As a small ground escaping. It is in their best interest to scope the area prior to moving to be sure no hostiles are there to light them up. I mean, really, if you are moving, look to see if it is really safe first. This is a key rule for rural, open, mountain and urban. And if in the open like our plains of the steps of Eastern Europe or Asia, then even battleship scopes are good!

Scope the area to see if it is SAFE!
Old 01-09-2016, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcaf_777 View Post
when I was infantry I bought a Bushnell 8X21 pictured below
These are great for events. Well constructed and exceded expectations. Clear view once adjusted correctly. Can you use these with prescription eyeglasses btw? Bought them in addition to ATN digital optics for my 17 year old son for his hunting and fishing day pack.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:21 AM

I've got a pair very similar and with glasses it's a pain in the arse. However, it's a simple matter to take off the glasses and adjust to your individual eyes as I did/do.

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Old 01-11-2016, 02:49 PM

Default Same

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legbreaker View Post
I've got a pair very similar and with glasses it's a pain in the arse. However, it's a simple matter to take off the glasses and adjust to your individual eyes as I did/do.
I have not found any that I can use with out removing my specs.
Tis better to see them afor they see you.