RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Morrow Project/ Project Phoenix Forum

Old 06-22-2019, 01:32 PM

Default Blast only damage

Does anyone know what formula is used to determine explosive blast damage? I’m working on specs for the SOHG (Scalable Offensive Hand Grenade) as a replacement for the MK3A2 but haven’t found the formula anywhere.

For those unfamiliar with the SOHG, its like grenades crossed with Legos. The user can “stack” up to three at a time to adjust the level of blast and destruction. One article on the munition puts it better than I could…“To visualize what this hand grenade offers, think about a small wooden shed that you’d buy at Home Depot. If you use just one module, you’ll blow the door open and the windows out. Select two modules and you’ll knock the shed off its foundation. But screw on all three sections and the real magic happens; you’ll transform the shed into splinters.”

It's plastic case is 53mm in diameter and comes in two sizes 85mm and 135mm, containing 115g and 225g of Comp B (Heksotol 60/40) respectively.
Old 06-22-2019, 02:35 PM

If you are just looking for the explosive damage as in whole body damage, you can use the RE of Comp B and do the math against the damage C4 does. Comp B has an RE of 1.01, so in the quantities you list it won't be much different.

If you are looking for how much damage the fragments do, you will need to do more math using the Gurney Equations to get the speed of the fragments and then make a guess on fragment size and run the EFactor numbers from there. I think the spherical model would still apply for just about any hand grenade. The cylindrical equation is generally used for bombs.

I hope this helps.
Old 06-22-2019, 02:49 PM

Yes, that helps immensely. I was over thinking it, figured the real answer was too simple.
Cheers!
Old 06-22-2019, 07:09 PM

An interactive Gurnery Equations website: https://www.un.org/disarmament/un-saferguard/gurney/

It can also have 130g of PBXN-110 filler as well.

Edited: Article I used may have a transcribing error.

Last edited by nuke11; 06-23-2019 at 07:15 AM.
Old 06-23-2019, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke11 View Post
It can also have 130g of PBXN-11 filler as well.
I saw a mention of this in an article but nothing on the manufacturer's site. I also don't have a RE factor for PBXN-11.

Last edited by Desert Mariner; 06-23-2019 at 05:43 AM.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Mariner View Post
I saw a mention of this in an article but nothing on the manufacturer's site. I also don't have a RE factor for PBXN-11.
It might actually be PBXN-110 as NAMMO list this as 130 gr per SOHG module. PBXN-110 is 88% HMX and 12% HTPB-based binders. It's MP RE I'm calculating as 1.12.

I'm guessing PBXN-11 is a transcribing error by dropping the 0, as I have looked high and low for a reference to PBXN-11.