RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Archive
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2010, 11:33 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default V2.2 NPC Hit Points

kcdusk 10-30-2005, 02:38 AM I've just found out that NPC's in V2.2 get 40 Hit points.

And that most sniper rifles do 4 damage, thats 4*D6, which is average damage of 14 points. Now, going on averages, thats going to take 4 hits to get the NPC below 0 hit points! Is this example right?

I know that NPC's had too few hitpoints in v1.0, but if the above example is right then it has gone too far the other way now.

A sniper rifle hitting someone in the chest or abs should bring down (serious or critically wound) anyone with just average rolls for damage, IMO.

pmulcahy 10-30-2005, 10:52 AM Of course, head shots do double damage according to the standard T2K 2.2 rules. If you use the alternate rules in Merc 2000, Infantry Weapons of the World, or Special Operations, there are chances of producing instant kills with hits to the head, chest, or abdomen (unfortunately, I can't remember them offhand; somebody help me out?)

thefusilier 10-30-2005, 07:09 PM I don't have my books around but I beleive it was something like... if it is an aimed shot and the target was unaware of the shooter... or something.

But yeah, I always thought the game was too underpowered with small arms damage. It made for me rediculous after-battle results with crazy amounts of gunshot wounds per person.

Lindgaard 10-31-2005, 02:59 AM Look in the v2.2 rulebook, page 210 top left corner . . . Quick kill rule !

"Any shot that hits the head or chest may constitute a killing shot . . ."

Roll less than the inflicted damage on D20 and the NPC is dead !

Regards

Lindgaard

thefusilier 10-31-2005, 04:34 AM I only ever had V2, was it the same for that? Sounds like a good rule.

kcdusk 10-31-2005, 04:48 AM thanks guys, found the quick kill rule.

My sniper rifle does 4D6 damage, which on average is 14 hit points. On a standard NPC with 40 hit points, thats a scratch wound ... but wait!

Quick Kill time. I did 14 points of damage to the chest or head, so if i roll under 14 on a D20 its instant kill time ... of course if i fail that roll i only scratched his chest :-)

Yeah, I like the quick kill rule, except if you fail that roll you only scratched him. Still, the more damage you do to the chest or head the more chance you have of the quick Kill.

I've never seen v2.0 to know if it applies there, but if you like the rule - use it.

ReHerakhte 10-31-2005, 06:16 AM G'Day all,

The Quick Kill rule was brought in with the Merc: 2000 alternate setting (page 85) and then carried over into Twilight 2.2. With Twilight 2.2 it was updated to reflect the change to a d20 system (use a d20 instead of a d10 roll). The Merc: 2000 book also had new rules for parachute landing deviation, silence/noise, sleeping garrisons, guard dogs and weather.

kc, you know that you can also enhance the damage of your ammunition if you are willing to accept some penalties to penetration? A variant rule brought in with the Twilight: 2000/Merc: 2000 Referee's Screen allowed for 1d6 extra damage for a Penetration penalty of 2 to each range band by either making the bullets 'dum-dums' or using hollow-point projectiles. Once the modified Penetration equaled or exceeded the modified damage number, that Penetration figure became Nil e.g. 7.62mmN is normally Dam 4, Pen 2-3-Nil, as an enhanced damage round it becomes Dam 5, Pen 4-Nil

It's also worth considering some of the other sniper rifles around that don't use 7.62mmN. Paul Mulcahy's and TR's sites have a number of them listed with more powerful ammo (like .338 Lapua which most people have worked out the stats as 6d6 damage - check Paul's site under Sniper Rifles, sub-section Finnish Sniper Rifles and look for the Sako TRG series, the TRG-41 is .338 Lapua).

And one last thing, although it's not certain to happen, there was also the provision I think, that if you scored an outstanding success in any shooting task, you got double damage.

Cheers,

Kevin

thefusilier 10-31-2005, 08:10 AM And for a few more points (V2 at least) had the blunt trauma factor. I believe for every D6 of damage a weapon has you added 1 more point of damage... so 4D6 rilfe would add 4 more points. I believe this was reduced with body armour and other penetrated cover but I am not too sure.

pmulcahy 10-31-2005, 08:17 AM I also add 2d6 to the base damage dice done by small arms. I just don't think small arms do enough damage. That's not actually reflected on the charts on my site (to maintain compatibility), but it is on the House Rules page.

thefusilier 10-31-2005, 08:25 AM Is that a flat 2D6 for any/all small arms weapon?

Twilight2000V3 10-31-2005, 08:41 AM Change your damage dice to D10. It makes a huge difference without unbalacing the game system.

Use the double damage to the head rule.

Use the Quick Kill Rule (Roll D20 if the roll is less than the number of base HD (for example "4") then the NPC is dead. Otherwise its still double damage. I use this for PCs too.

Also remember... 14 points to the HEAD will make all PC unconscious unless youre buffo-the-commando.

What I do is figure that the NPC has 30 points to the chest and 10 points to the head. ALl others are 15. If its close to this max tehy are out of combat (not dead but out).

Max

pmulcahy 10-31-2005, 09:17 AM Is that a flat 2D6 for any/all small arms weapon?

Well, sort of. Something like a .22 pistol (damage -1) would do 2d6-2 in my games (if I was running one right now). Something like the Kolibri or a sling (damage -2) would do 2d6-4. Certain bows (can't remember which ones) do 1d6+1 or 1d6+2; they would do 3d6+3 or 3d6+4. Etc.

pmulcahy 10-31-2005, 09:19 AM Change your damage dice to D10. It makes a huge difference without unbalacing the game system.

Max

That's actually a really good idea!

Twilight2000V3 10-31-2005, 10:58 AM Paul I thoguht you came up with that?!?! LOL

kcdusk 10-31-2005, 03:29 PM Wow

Looks like I missed out on some discussion here last night.

Some good ideas that I can put into play.

I guess for a while I was more interested in panning the rules as they stand. I cannot believe that by the time we get to v2.2 a sniper rifle (I'm back on that bandwagon) hitting someone in the chest will either scratch them or kill them outright ... lol. It just seems so obvious that something is wrong here with the values of small arm damage or NPC hit points, I cant believe it made it through QC.

I know there are other rifles around that do more than 4D6 damage, but, I like using my M21, and the fact it takes a 50 calibre cannon to kill someone just adds to the imbalance (although on occasion I'd like to try one of those super rifles if I ever come across one in the field).

Still, as with all RPG's there are houserules galore to fix it. I think I will be able to work around this.

Just thinking about head shots though. They do double damage. But the head also gets the least amount of hit points, it seems like a double, double whammy. Half the hit points and twice the damage. Oh well, that's what getting whacked in the head will do for you!

Milano 10-31-2005, 09:27 PM Here are some rules and variations that I use. It makes my players play alittle more conservatively.

Base Head: CONx2

Base Chest and abdomen: (CON + STR)x2

Base Arms and legs: (CON + STR)x1.5

Scratch is a quarter or less. Slight is base or less. Serious is base or more. Critical is 1 one and a half or more than base.

I don't use quick kill or double damage but i Have done a rule where every 6 rolled calls for a another roll PLUS the 6 to damage. ie 3 DAMAGE rolls are 4, 1, and 6. Another die is rolled... a 6. thus again a 4. Total damage 21. just my thoughts.

Tags
rules