Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Archive
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2010, 11:02 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default OT, but I hope its true.

TiggerCCW UK 09-09-2004, 07:42 AM Just got this off military.com

Link:

http://www.military.com/NewsContent/0,13319,FL_binladen_090504,00.html?ESRC=dod.nl

Text:

U.S. Near Seizing Bin Laden

Associated Press

September 5, 2004

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan - The United States and its allies have moved closer to capturing Osama bin Laden in the last two months, a top U.S. counterterrorism official said in a television interview broadcast Saturday.

"If he has a watch, he should be looking at it because the clock is ticking. He will be caught," Joseph Cofer Black, the U.S. State Department coordinator for counterterrorism, told private Geo television network.

Asked if concrete progress had been made during the last two months - when Pakistan has arrested dozens of terror suspects including some key al-Qaida operatives - Black said, "Yes, I would say this."

Black, who briefed a group of Pakistani journalists after talks with officials here Friday, said he could not predict exactly when bin Laden and other top al-Qaida fugitives would be nabbed.

"What I tell people, I would be surprised but not necessarily shocked if we wake up tomorrow and he's been caught along with all his lieutenants. That can happen because of the programs and infrastructure in place," he told Geo.

Bin Laden and his top associate, Ayman al-Zawahri, are believed to be hiding some place along the rugged border between Pakistan and Afghanistan. Officials have divulged no solid intelligence about bin Laden's precise whereabouts, and it's not clear if they have any.

Pakistan is a key ally of the United States in its war on terror, and Black's visit comes weeks after Pakistani security forces captured Ahmed Khalfan Ghailani, a Tanzanian wanted for the 1998 U.S. embassy bombings in east Africa, and Mohammed Naeem Noor Khan, a Pakistani computer expert allegedly linked to al-Qaida operatives around the world.

The arrests led to a terror warning in the United States, and arrests in Britain and the United Arab Emirates.

Black attended a meeting of the Pakistan-U.S. Joint Working Group on Counterterrorism and Law Enforcement in Islamabad on Thursday and Friday.

During the talks, Pakistan asked U.S. officials for more helicopters, surveillance and communications equipment to help Pakistani forces guard border areas near Afghanistan "more efficiently," a Pakistani official at the talks said.

"We got a positive response from the American officials," said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Pakistan has deployed about 70,000 troops along the Afghan border and conducted several military operations this year in its lawless and largely autonomous tribal regions against al-Qaida suspects and their local supporters.

Black hailed Pakistan's efforts in counterterrorism - despite criticism from Western officials who say that elements of the former ruling Taliban regime in Afghanistan still operate inside Pakistan.

"In terms of national programs and effectiveness, I would put Pakistan up against anyone else ... If you look at the arrests they have made, the information they have developed and the lives that have been saved, Pakistan is doing a great job," he said.

He added, however, that, "you can always do more."

If it is true and they do capture him, do you think he'll stand trial? I was wondering about the reactions of his followers if he is incarcerated in the US - what lengths would they go to to free him?

Grimace 09-09-2004, 10:43 AM Oh, I'm sure that the U.S. will attempt to look peaceful and fair and thus go through the very expensive, time consuming, and ridiculous farse of a trail. If they catch him in the next month, it will probably take 2 and a half years before the "courts" finally tell us what we already know....he's guilty.

Would be nice if he was caught, though.

And yes, they would probably try to bust him out, but I think he'd probably be the most highly protected prisoner ever, so I seriously doubt they'd ever be able to free him. Heck, they'd probably ship him off to Gitmo. That's probably the most high security base we have, and anyone trying to get in would have to have a literal army for any hope of success.

Matt Wiser 09-09-2004, 08:07 PM Although OBL is indicted by a Federal Grand Jury for the East Africa embassy bombings, when he's caught, along with Ayman Al-Zwahari, his right hand, they won't go into the federal court system. Their sorry selves will be sent to Gitmo or some other "undisclosed location." And then they'll be put in front of a military tribunal-no lengthy appeals process, no ten years on death row, it'll be quick. With him on tape bragging about 9-11, and everything that those already in custody have said, conviction is a certainty. If it were up to me, I'd build a gallows on the site of Ground Zero in Manhattan and hang both OBL and Al-Zwahari on the WTC site. Invite those who survived and those who lost loved ones on that day to watch. And televise it live-make sure that anyone else with similar ideas gets the point that if you kill Americans, we will come for you, get you, and deal with you. Same treatment for 9-11's planners, Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and Ramzi Binalshibh. And anyone else involved, whether it was planning, financing, or what not.

ReHerakhte 09-10-2004, 10:57 PM Although I pretty much agree with Matt's sentiments, I don't think it would be enough. You can't punish these people in this life by simply killing them, you have to make them fear for their time in the 'next life'. Considering that they all see themselves as devout Muslims (although they only take what suits them so they can justify their hatred/jealousy of the West), there are a few other things I would suggest once they are dead.

I think hanging is a good method purely because there's nothing pretty about a hanged body (so there goes their 'glorious death'), but once it's been done, the body should be disposed of in a manner that violates their Muslim beliefs. From what I remember, Arabs in particular have a dread of death by fire as the body is no longer whole and thus cannot go to Allah. And as they see the pig as an unclean animal I propose that once hanged, the bodies should be burnt and the remains made into pigswill and fed to pigs, all on international television.

Sure it's gonna piss-off a few true Muslims but all those 'holy warriors' out there might start to see their trip to Paradise being a lot less certain. After being turned into pigshit I don't think that all those virgins in Paradise will be so happy to see them...

Not-so-Cheers

Kevin