RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Archive

Old 01-21-2010, 11:21 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default A Vehicle TO&E Question

DeaconR 07-28-2005, 02:02 PM When I looked up the TO&E of the 228th Signal Brigade online it more or less stated that most of their vehicles are 4x4s and 2 1/2 tons for the most part. I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me what other vehicles might have been made available to this kind of unit.

ReHerakhte 07-28-2005, 08:54 PM Not being very familiar with the breakdowns of US units, I did a quick websearch on this and from what I can see of their organization, the 228th is unlikely to have much more than what you have stated.

They do have some attached units that probably would have heavier vehicles. This is taken from the following site: -

http://www.scguard.com/arng/228signal.htm

Attached Units:

Headquarters and Headquarters Company

105th Signal Battalion

116th Signal Company (Tropo)

678th Engineer Detachment (Utility)

264th Engineer Detachment (Fire Fighters)

265th, 266th, and 26th Quartermaster Detachments (Water Purification)

108th Signal Battalion

114th Signal Company (Tropo)

111th Signal Battalion

151st Signal Battalion

228th Mobile Communications Detachment

From that I'd hazard a guess that the engineer units have some larger trucks other than 2 1/2 tons along with some mission specific vehicles such as fire appliances. The quartermaster detachments probably have heavier trucks to carry the water purification gear as well.

So besides the expected shelter carrier versions of the Humvee for comms and technical repair use and some general purpose trucks and trailers you could throw in a few staff car types. As for other types... ?

Other than that, I really don't know much about it

Cheers,

Kevin

pmulcahy 07-28-2005, 10:14 PM I don't know what a whole brigade has, but when I was assigned to the DTAC at 2nd Division in Korea, we had a Signal company attached to us. They basically had a collection of heavily-modified HMMWVs, 2 1/2-ton trucks (being phased out), and 5-ton trucks. Most of these were various shelter-backed versions of those vehicles, with fully-enclosed cargo beds carrying various types of gear, much of which you needed a Secret or Top Secret clearance to even look at. Some of the 5-tons were of the expandable types, which basically means that the sides can be pushed out and supported on jacks to expand the working area inside. (And they were a real bitch to expand, since they were manual -- I'm told they are now power-operated.)

DeaconR 07-29-2005, 03:26 AM Is there any chance that they might have HEMTTs instead of 2 1/2 tons or 5 tons? Basically the reason I am asking is that my players asked what would be available to trade their current vehicle with in the motor pool and unfortunately the modules related to the 228th don't suggest much since the idea is that you should go on foot. I'm tempted (my players have a landrover with an M60 mount) to simply say that there is nothing better than what they already have, but I thought I should have SOME idea first.

BTW, thanks for the ideas so far, and for the link and the TO&E list.

pmulcahy 07-29-2005, 03:16 PM I honestly don't think saw a HEMTT that didn't belong to DISCOM (Division Support Command) or DIVARTY (Division Artillery), or was farmed out to the various units by DISCOM for certain missions. Of course, in a Twilight 2000 context, almost any unit could have almost any vehicle type, including those of former enemies or allies...

Last edited by kato13; 02-08-2010 at 01:30 AM.

Tags
toe