RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 02-11-2010, 07:59 PM
Administrator

Default OT: Survivors on BBC America

Just saw a preview for a new post-apocalyptic show (new here, at least) called Survivors. Looks to be set after some sort of epidemic (there was a mushroom cloud too)- reminded me a bit of King's The Stand. Appears to be about a few civilians trying to, well, survive in a PAW. Looks promising. Starts this Saturday on BBC America. I'll definitely check it out and let you know what I think.
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, and co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048
Old 02-12-2010, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
Just saw a preview for a new post-apocalyptic show (new here, at least) called Survivors. Looks to be set after some sort of epidemic (there was a mushroom cloud too)- reminded me a bit of King's The Stand. Appears to be about a few civilians trying to, well, survive in a PAW. Looks promising. Starts this Saturday on BBC America. I'll definitely check it out and let you know what I think.
Series 2 is showing in the UK at the moment. I dont want to say anything about the plot / characters as I don't want to spoil it for anyone who might watch it, but personally I've been watching it and thoroughly enjoying it (particularly the last couple of episodes).
Old 02-12-2010, 03:48 AM

Is it anything like the original Survivors series. I loved that. Oh wait, maybe I'm thinking of Threads.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:27 AM
Ephemera of the Big Ka-Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targan View Post
Is it anything like the original Survivors series. I loved that. Oh wait, maybe I'm thinking of Threads.
Are you thinking of the one that has the opening credits sequence of an asian scientist getting aboard an airplane and (implied) basically spreading a massive plague through the whole world?

That addressed a few down-to-earth points that could really affect your quality of life in a PAW--like stray/feral animals with rabies.

"Threads" was a film that had a pretty gritty down-and-dirty, I-need-to-take-a-bath-now feel about it. REALLY a downer.

"The War Game" was a 1965 BBC TV production that wasn't aired until 1985 (due to its graphic and "disturbing"content.

Last edited by WallShadow; 02-12-2010 at 04:32 AM.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:39 AM

Quote:
The orginal Survivors aired in the mid 1970's. Afraid I've never seen the original so I can't say how this version compares to it.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:54 AM

Default remake

Quote:
It is a remake of the three season 1970s show called survivors.

I really liked it .Recommended .

Cant wait to get seson two .
Old 02-12-2010, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headquarters View Post
It is a remake of the three season 1970s show called survivors.

I really liked it .Recommended .

Cant wait to get seson two .
If you can access BBC I player the first four episodes of season two are available online.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:36 AM

I've been watching this and have to say the BBC has done a great job.

When the 1st series was on last year and we had the Swine Flu just breaking out, my wife said how close to the truth this could have been.

Watch it and you won't be disappointed.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:35 PM
The Stat Guy

I just turned to program this into my DVR, and what's on BBC America? A show called "Should I Smoke Dope?".

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 02-12-2010, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b View Post
I just turned to program this into my DVR, and what's on BBC America? A show called "Should I Smoke Dope?".
Well go on, tell us. What was the verdict?
Old 02-12-2010, 10:39 PM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Well go on, tell us. What was the verdict?
It was toward the end of the show, but the verdict seems to be that booze is better than dope...

Old 02-13-2010, 12:27 AM

Quote:
It was toward the end of the show, but the verdict seems to be that booze is better than dope...
I find that surprising. I'm guessing that that verdict assumes moderate use of either drug? Because I'm pretty sure that excessive alcohol consumption will do alot more damage to your body than excessive cannabis use.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:41 AM
The end is nigh!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00q3gk5

Survivors is a British television series devised by Terry Nation and produced by Terence Dudley at the BBC from 1975 to 1977. It concerns the plight of a group of people who have survived an accidentally released plague that kills nearly the entire population of the planet. The programme is usually described as falling into the science fiction genre, and fits into the sub-genre of apocalyptic fiction. It was remade in 2008.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:05 AM

Default ach..

Quote:
I find that surprising. I'm guessing that that verdict assumes moderate use of either drug? Because I'm pretty sure that excessive alcohol consumption will do alot more damage to your body than excessive cannabis use.
whats one without the other ?

Old 02-13-2010, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnwolf View Post
...Terry Nation...
One of the writers for the original Doctor Who series if I'm not mistaken.

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Old 02-13-2010, 02:36 PM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legbreaker View Post
One of the writers for the original Doctor Who series if I'm not mistaken.
I know I'm about to say something totally blasphemous...but I like the new Doctor Who series better than the old one.

Old 02-13-2010, 04:55 PM

I have to agree although I like both. It would be interesting to see what they could have done in the earlier series if they'd had the same buget and technology. As it was they created one of the all time great shows with little more than pocket change.

Mors ante pudorem
Old 02-13-2010, 06:59 PM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
I have to agree although I like both. It would be interesting to see what they could have done in the earlier series if they'd had the same buget and technology. As it was they created one of the all time great shows with little more than pocket change.
Nowdays, it's much easier to create special effects on a smaller budget using computers and CGI. Now, what I want to see is a real Starship Troopers -- not that drivel they put out years back. CGI can make that happen. Or a series of movies or a miniseries based on The Forever War.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:14 PM

Now you're just trying to make me drool!

Mors ante pudorem
Old 02-14-2010, 07:55 AM

Quote:
I know I'm about to say something totally blasphemous...but I like the new Doctor Who series better than the old one.
Me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b
Or a series of movies or a miniseries based on The Forever War.
Couldn't agree more.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
I like them both, and think David Tennant has been great, but for me the golden era of Doctor Who will always be 1974 - 1976...Tom Baker's early years were awesome.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Six View Post
I like them both, and think David Tennant has been great, but for me the golden era of Doctor Who will always be 1974 - 1976...Tom Baker's early years were awesome.
I used to love Doctor Who when I was 7-10. They used to show it Sunday mornings on PBS back in the mid '80s. Tom Baker will always be the Doctor to me. I had my mom knit me a 20' long scarf.

I've watched quite a few of them via Netflix and they're pretty dreadful. Terrible special effects, mostly poor acting, convoluted stories, and lots of dead space. When I was a kid, I thought I was watching an adult show. Now I know that they were purposely producing show for kids and now, as an adult, this is almost painfully obvious. Even so, I still get a nostalgic pleasure from watching them. I've made my wife watch them with me. They're good for a laugh, at least. Although a lot of it is pretty cliched, there are some really neat but relatively undeveloped sci-fi ideas sprinkled in there too. There was a lot of potential there.

I tried watching the new WHO and couldn't get in to it. IMHO, they've wasted the potential in the Doctor Who universe. Too much of it seemed to happen on Earth and it can't seem to decide if it's serious sci-fi or a campy parody of earlier incarnations. Neither of the "new" Doctors can match Baker's ability to go from earnestly serious to irreverently goofy without seeming phony. I just can't watch it.

I'm putting on my asbestos coveralls right now...
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, and co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

Old 02-14-2010, 03:54 PM

Some interesting points there, but remember that each incarnation of The Doctor is essentially a totally different personnality. Take a look at the very first Doctor and compare them to everyone who's come since - there are startling differences between each and every one of them.

Mors ante pudorem
Old 02-14-2010, 04:39 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Some interesting points there, but remember that each incarnation of The Doctor is essentially a totally different personnality. Take a look at the very first Doctor and compare them to everyone who's come since - there are startling differences between each and every one of them.
That's true. I watched a few of the episodes just before and just after Tom Baker and the three of them were very different. I think the reason TB is, for so many people the one and only Doctor is that he was so goofy and I think that really appealed to the kids the show was aimed at.

I just noticed that the most recent incarnation of the Doctors tries the funny/serious thing too and, IMO, doesn't really pull it off very well.

Old 02-14-2010, 05:49 PM

I've watched every surviving episode and enjoyed them all (even if some were just silly). It's a real shame that most of the 1st and 2nd Doctors episodes have been destroyed, or only a part or two of each one remains.

Mors ante pudorem
Old 02-14-2010, 09:43 PM

Quote:
It's a real shame that most of the 1st and 2nd Doctors episodes have been destroyed, or only a part or two of each one remains.
I didn't know that. How did that happen?
Old 02-14-2010, 10:14 PM

Apparently old film could and was recycled. Nobody thought in the early days that keeping the original reels would be all that important, therefore....
If only they'd known back in the 60's how much of a cult classic it would become, how important it would be to so many worldwide.

Mors ante pudorem
Old 02-15-2010, 03:13 AM

Lucky for us here in Australia we have the National Film and Television Archive. Hopefully that should help preserve all of our locally produced material. Now if we could just find some worth preserving...
Old 02-16-2010, 10:12 AM

So, did any of our US posters watch Survivors? And if so, what did you think of it?