RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 06-23-2009, 07:45 AM
The end is nigh!!!

Default What other games are you playing.

Just curious as to what other games you play to pass the time.

Right now its Navyfield.

http://www.navyfield.com/
Old 06-23-2009, 07:46 AM

Call of Duty: World at War; Grand Theft Auto IV; Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War II.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:36 AM

When we gather it has been many different RPG systems from Cthulu, Runequest, Vampire and most commonly Rolemaster based in Middle-Earth.

On PC, I havent found a good wargame/strat in a while - finished the latest Total War, bought an old Axis and Allies to try (used to enjoy the board game). My old favourite PC games of the past were Harpoon, Perfect General and Age of Empires (I remember enjoying sid maier stuff, civ, colonisation + gettysberg).

If anyone knows a good turn based or adjustable time based strategy wargame let me know!
Old 06-23-2009, 08:57 AM

Grand Theft Auto IV, Fallout 3, and Hearts of Iron II.

But barely. Between family, work, playing an online T2000 game and running one myself, I've little free time.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:16 AM

In the RPG category I play in a Harnmaster campaign which has been running for about 16 years (real time) and I run a Harnmaster campaign which has been running for about 10 years (real time).
Old 06-23-2009, 09:34 AM

board wargame- Enemy at the Gates weekly (the old Gamers version, not yet updated to Case Blue)
Once or twice a month, either another OCS game or an 18xx train game at CABS (local boardgame mega-club).

PBEM/board wargame- Total War (playtest), Second Front + Scorched Earth, and Federation & Empire. I'll be doing more F&E at Origins starting tomorrow!

RPG- D&D 3.5 monthly.

PC/Wii/Gamecube- nothing, I let the wife & sons do that. Civ3 or RRTycoon when the mood moves me.

ADD: Star Fleet Battles once a month.

Last edited by Adm.Lee; 07-02-2009 at 10:42 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:36 AM

I play Civilisation 2 from time to time, occasionally Command and Conquer, either the original version or Red Alert. You may have noticed that all of these games are quite old...if I find a game I like I tend to play it over and over.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:52 PM
The Stat Guy

The "Slave to 5 Dogs" game.

Now, back in the day, I tried just about anything that came down to the pipe. I had a subscription to Strategy and Tactics magazine (back when it was owned by SPI), had dogfights in Airwar, played RPGs ranging from Arduin to Gamma World, was in the Society for Creative Anachronism...the list goes on and on.

I've never really played many computer games. I tried them, but I think Desert Storm spoiled their potential for me. I had to do it for real, and shooters just gave me memories I'd prefer to forget. Strangely enough, T2K doesn't do that -- possibly because of the remoteness layer that an RPG gives. I guess it's something to talk about with my therapist.

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com

Last edited by pmulcahy11b; 06-23-2009 at 03:58 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:15 PM
Administrator

I keep meaning to pick up a copy of the latest Operational Art of War PC game but its going to be tricky to convince the wife to approve of the purchase. I'd also like to take a stab at the latest in the Harpoon Series. There's no way I have time to do both, though.

I've nearly started up Conan, Traveller, and Morrow Project RPGs (PbPs) a couple of times but I've never managed to follow through on any of them.

Back in the day, I played the original Harpoon on my Mac and a little series of operational WWII battle sims called V for Victory. I also played good ol' fashioned Axis and Allies and a game in the same series called Fortress America the premise for which, now that I think of it, is strikingly similar to that of the new Twilight 2013 (as I understand it).

I also like the original Total War series of PC games. I think the original (Shogun) was my favorite (though it didn't seem fair that the Geishas almost never failed their assassination missions).

I'd love to play Call of Duty 4 (modern warfare) but, for me, FPS's trigger motion sickness...
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, and co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048

Last edited by Raellus; 06-23-2009 at 07:15 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:19 PM

GMing a GURPS weird WWII game since spring 2005 (run online via chat). Most of the weirdness is not public, but it has developed an alternate history timeline partly due to PC actions. After spending most of the campaign as freelance civilians (a Shinto priest from San Francisco and archaeology/linguistics professor from the University of Chicago, with an ex-Navy pilot added recently*), they are part of the OSS and on Attu Island on June 1, 1942. They thought they were there to destroy an evil shrine but have discovered a vast underground Atlantean zoo/lab.

* I joked to the player that previous #3 PCs lasted as long as drummers in Spinal Tap

http://copeab.tripod.com
Old 06-23-2009, 10:07 PM
Player to be named later

For computer games my favorites involve either driving or shooting people, so GTA IV is a natch for me since I get to do both.

For RPG/Wargame its mostly a mix of occasional BattleTech pick up games and episodes of Ninjas & Superspies.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:44 AM

For RPG's its a broad range, Twilight, Merc, assorted D&D versions, Cyberpunk, Flashing Blades, Cthulhu, Warhammer RPG, Star Wars and Gamma World.

Computer wise at the minute its mostly GTA 4 and Left 4 Dead on the 360. If anyone here is on x box live my gamer tag is the same as my screen name here. I also love the old Rainbo Six PC games and Janes Fleet Command.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:45 AM

I'm currently playing in a Seventh Sea RPG, and planning to run a Twilight game when that one ends. I'm also in the early stages of planning to run an RPG over IRC, which will probably be set in the Dune universe.

Once a week, myself, my wife and two friends get together to play board games. Which one varies. Last night it was Stone Age.

Russ

Twilight:2000 Resources
Old 06-24-2009, 06:18 AM

I forgot a great PC game that I loved - Ghost Recon and its add-ons. The engine could be tweaked for a T2K game well too if some game designer would do that, pretty please!!.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:01 AM
...not exactly open casket material

Send a message via MSN to General Pain
Talking The Games we play ....

PC: Las Vegas 2, COD WAW, CIV4, OBLIVION, and COMPANY OF HEROES!!!
BOARGAMES: CHESS
CARDS: TEXAS HOLDEM, and a norweigian card game called Drit (translates to shit)
RPGS:T2K,MERC2K, PARANOIA (been a while) , and ADD (custom rules)
Old 06-24-2009, 07:03 AM
...not exactly open casket material

Send a message via MSN to General Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caradhras
I forgot a great PC game that I loved - Ghost Recon and its add-ons. The engine could be tweaked for a T2K game well too if some game designer would do that, pretty please!!.
I'd buy it.

Still waiting for someone to render the whole planet in a T2K setting
Old 06-30-2009, 07:17 AM

For those of you playing GTA 4 - I finished the story missions yesterday just have to complete all the side missions now and the story missions again doing the other choices I didn't take - its a big game!
Old 06-30-2009, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiggerCCW UK
For those of you playing GTA 4 - I finished the story missions yesterday just have to complete all the side missions now and the story missions again doing the other choices I didn't take - its a big game!
What platform are you playing it on? I'm having a hard time actually succeeding in some of the missions. The car racing one for instance, and going up against dozens of mafia mooks at the construction site.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:55 AM

360. That construction site one is a tough one. I'd a couple of missions I got stuck on for ages. The multiplayer is great craic as well.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:04 AM

Let's see:

On the roleplaying side: Traveller, 2300, Cyberpunk 2020 (the new ed is bleh to say the least).

Miniatures: Used to play Battletech, but I am putting it away for a while...not to mention I am less than happy with some decisions made of late. I also play historicals (WWII)/hypotheticals (aka, 3rd World War stuff) in 20mm and 1/285. The 1/285 I use Fistful of Tows, it's simpler than Command Decision and plays faster for better results in my mind. Then, there's Ambush Alley for my 20mm, with their Force On Force Rules, there's not much you CAN'T do with the rules and they run firefights really well. Games run in 3 hours or less and they're a hoot.
I also do science-fiction in 15mm and 6mm. That's influenced by a variety of sources. I use Ambush Alley, Stargrunt II and Dirtside II for that.

Boardgames: Third World War by GDW, and a real eclectic mix of stuff from GDW and other publishers. Can't remember them all off the top of my head of late...then again, am reorganizing the collection and I sold some stuff off, including my Full Thrust stuff...I wasn't using it, but one of these days, when I find a group that plays locally, I will get back into it...

Computer Games: Hard crunchy strategy games...such as Carriers at War, The Operational Art of War III, HPS's North German Plain and Danube Front, as well as War Over the Mideast. I keep meaning to get Korea '85.

"Red Star, Burning Streets" by Cavalier Books, 2020

https://epochxp.tumblr.com/ - EpochXperience - Contributing Blogger since October 2020. (A Division of SJR Consulting).

Last edited by Jason Weiser; 06-30-2009 at 07:32 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:18 PM

For roleplaying games:

Twilight:2000, Dark Conspiracy and Traveller:The New Era. The advantages of using the same set of rules is important, especially when one usually acts as GM.

And I use GURPS for any non-modern setup. Among our players one of them is using GURPS for his own sci-fi campaign in a universe created by him.

We've luck and among the members of the two groups we have four GM, so the variety in our games is granted. Cthulhu, Mechwarrior, All flesh must be eaten...among others. We play no less than two times each month, always by night, often until dawn.

For computers games, my passion is the flight simulators since I had my first Amstrad CPC-464. I'm now with Flight Simulator 2004 and Wings over Europe. I would like to play some more modern games, but my computer would suffer and asthma attack. Then, Morrowind, Ghost Recon and others. The Total War series...and I'm currently with the tutorials of The Operationa Art of War III, thanks to some comments read in this forum.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:20 AM

For RPG:

Twilight 2000 (modified), Dark Conspiracy, Star Wars (modified and playing on a base of about 500 palnets), AD&D (not played in years), Fulminata.

On my computer:

Star Wars (over with), Europa Universalis 2 and Hearts of Iron 2 (a highly modified version were I changed parts of the rules, most images, many equipment names and several provinces elements...), IL-2. Several others in the past.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Anyone ever play Cyberpunk? I like that noir, near future, dystopian vibe (think Bladerunner) and I've read a few novels in the genre but I've never played the Cyberpunk RPG.
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, and co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048
Old 07-07-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus
Anyone ever play Cyberpunk? I like that noir, near future, dystopian vibe (think Bladerunner) and I've read a few novels in the genre but I've never played the Cyberpunk RPG.
I've only played it once, with a pre-generated character, too long ago to really be able to comment. My wife, however, played a few games and she didn't like it. Her comment was: "I don't like a game where you spend more time creating your character than you do playing her"

Apparently character creation is complex and time-consuming, but it's a very dangerous system, so it's not uncommon for characters to die after one or two sessions.

Twilight:2000 Resources
Old 07-07-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus
I did but never liked it. I just don't like the idea that you must be "cyber".
Old 07-08-2009, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avantman42
I've only played it once, with a pre-generated character, too long ago to really be able to comment. My wife, however, played a few games and she didn't like it. Her comment was: "I don't like a game where you spend more time creating your character than you do playing her"

Apparently character creation is complex and time-consuming, but it's a very dangerous system, so it's not uncommon for characters to die after one or two sessions.
Your wife certainly wouldn't like my campaign then We took many of the ideas in Cyberpunk's char gen system and incorporated them in Gunmaster:2000's char gen.

I own all the Cyperpunk:2020 books. And, in an amazing but incredibly time consuming labour of love, I converted the entire system to Gunmaster and ran a single, six month Gunmaster:2020 campaign. Heaps of fun.