RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 05-16-2019, 10:44 AM

Default Semi-Skills

Some skills aren't really skills at all.

These skills are just something you have to learn the concept of and then just do once you know how.

I think drone operation might be one of these 'semi-skills'.

Perhaps these things could be just done through statistic checks once the qualification is noted on the PC sheet?
Old 05-16-2019, 12:07 PM
Administrator

I respectfully disagree. I think any task that can be improved through practice can be considered a skill.

That includes drone operation.

How would that example (drone operation) be any different, fundamentally, than operating small arms, scuba diving, or riding a motorcycle? You learn the concept, do it, and improve through practice.

By your definition, couldn't one simply read about operating a firearm "and then just do once you know how?" I'd never fired a shotgun or a rifle before, but I read about how it was done, and then just did it. Your definition of "semi-skill" kind of breaks T2K char-gen, since pretty much any of the established Skills fall under it.

If it's a matter of adding new skills- like drone operation- to the T2K v1 or 2/2.2 lists, either include it in a skill that already exists (e.g. drone operation could fall under computers and/or piloting) or create a new one and place it under the appropriate Attribute/s (e.g. drone operation could fall undre Agility [dexterity], Education, or Intelligence) .
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, and co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048

Last edited by Raellus; 05-16-2019 at 12:20 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkLine View Post
Some skills aren't really skills at all.

These skills are just something you have to learn the concept of and then just do once you know how.

I think drone operation might be one of these 'semi-skills'.

Perhaps these things could be just done through statistic checks once the qualification is noted on the PC sheet?
I would consider them subskills. TW2K13 handles this by having Qualifications which are subskills under another skill. For example, Drone Pilots may only need familiarization on the controls BUT put a non-pilot in front of a drone control station and watch their confusion as they simply try to interpret all the symbols on the screens meanings. Without that basic pilot training to teach the drone operator what the controls DO, and what all those symbols on the screen MEAN, they would be lost on how to operate the drone.

I love the idea of Qualifications because they are a "Skill Within A Skill" in essence. Some examples include things like...
1) EOD as a qualification of Demolitions.
2) Rebreather as a qualification of Scuba.
3) Hacking as a qualification of Computer Operation.
4) Heavy as a qualification of either Pilot or Wheeled Vehicle Driver.
5) Surgery as a qualification of Medical

These all have their own Skill Levels BUT cannot be larger than the parent skill.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:58 PM

I added some basic skills that I think everyone would have like Perception, Persuasion, Observation, and Stealth to my game. These basic skills start at 1/2 the Characteristics they are based on.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:58 PM
Registered Registrant

I stole "Awareness" from I think Cyberpunk 2020 and had it for all the other senses. Observation covers sight and I left it at that because most of what we perceive is through sight, it's a major sense so it should have its own "skill" - for everything else, sense of smell, hearing, balance, temperature, etc. etc. I had Awareness.
I think Perception is a good addition as well because in most games, it covers those areas that while your senses might indicate something is "out there", it's the mind's ability to make sense of it that informs you of the potential for threat.

However, it might make better sense to swap them around - Perception would be the various senses ability to detect something and Awareness would be the mind's ability to figure out what the senses are telling you?
Old 05-17-2019, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic View Post
I stole "Awareness" from I think Cyberpunk 2020 and had it for all the other senses.
Awareness is a primary automatic skill in Harnmaster/Gunmaster too. Its Skill Base is determined from the stats Eyesight, Hearing and Smell/Taste.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaghauler View Post
I would consider them subskills. TW2K13 handles this by having Qualifications which are subskills under another skill. For example, Drone Pilots may only need familiarization on the controls BUT put a non-pilot in front of a drone control station and watch their confusion as they simply try to interpret all the symbols on the screens meanings. Without that basic pilot training to teach the drone operator what the controls DO, and what all those symbols on the screen MEAN, they would be lost on how to operate the drone.

I love the idea of Qualifications because they are a "Skill Within A Skill" in essence. Some examples include things like...
1) EOD as a qualification of Demolitions.
2) Rebreather as a qualification of Scuba.
3) Hacking as a qualification of Computer Operation.
4) Heavy as a qualification of either Pilot or Wheeled Vehicle Driver.
5) Surgery as a qualification of Medical

These all have their own Skill Levels BUT cannot be larger than the parent skill.
I just have to say as I see this alot, but EOD should not be a sub-skill/Qualification what not of Demolitions. US Military (I guess more or less the same for other nations but do not know) getting demolitions qualified is about two weeks, EOD is about a year. There is a lot more to EOD than just knowing how to deal with demolitions.
Old 05-31-2019, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAT View Post
I just have to say as I see this alot, but EOD should not be a sub-skill/Qualification what not of Demolitions. US Military (I guess more or less the same for other nations but do not know) getting demolitions qualified is about two weeks, EOD is about a year. There is a lot more to EOD than just knowing how to deal with demolitions.
Which is why EOD makes a good Qualification. You cannot even buy a Qualification WITHOUT first buying the "parent skill." The Qualification CANNOT be higher than the parent skill either. A Qualification is, in essence, a specialization or concentration of a set of skills which cannot even be learned UNTIL the student has mastered the fundamentals of the parent skill to the Qualification.

This prevents someone from learning EOD without first learning DEMO. Keep in mind that someone with DEMO skill CANNOT effectively perform EOD without possessing the Qualification.
Old 06-01-2019, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaghauler View Post
Which is why EOD makes a good Qualification. You cannot even buy a Qualification WITHOUT first buying the "parent skill." The Qualification CANNOT be higher than the parent skill either. A Qualification is, in essence, a specialization or concentration of a set of skills which cannot even be learned UNTIL the student has mastered the fundamentals of the parent skill to the Qualification.

This prevents someone from learning EOD without first learning DEMO. Keep in mind that someone with DEMO skill CANNOT effectively perform EOD without possessing the Qualification.
Except that there is a lot more to it than just Demo, we also are trained on electronics, WMD's, Robots, ECM and more.
Old 06-01-2019, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAT View Post
Except that there is a lot more to it than just Demo, we also are trained on electronics, WMD's, Robots, ECM and more.
As an Assault Pioneer I was also trained and qualified in construction (bridges, bunkers, etc), boats & pontoons, mine warfare, booby traps and, if I'd done the course just a month or two earlier, flame warfare (the course before was the last one that covered flamethrowers, etc ).
Explosives (including precision charges used in construction and clearing mines and booby traps) was only about a quarter of the whole course.

In 2.2 game terms I probably picked up a couple of points in Small Watercraft, Combat Engineer, Scrounging (you're ALWAYS on the lookout for building materials), Construction and Excavation.

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem