RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Morrow Project/ Project Phoenix Forum

Old 06-13-2021, 03:58 PM

Default Dog Training Kit

Has anyone worked up a dog training kit? Preferably for guard or explosive training.

More importantly, has anyone used such an animal(s) in a game?
Old 06-13-2021, 04:29 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

I only have a handler kit and it is just from my imagination not any official standards.

https://games.juhlin.com/equipment/k...ml?parent=1145
Old 06-14-2021, 06:57 AM

In addition to Kato's kit, some things I recall seeing when my grandfather was raising MWDs (some modern items added):
• Bite suit and accessories: sleeves, leg sleeves, groin protection, helmet/faceguard, hand protection (also hidden versions for wear under clothing)
• “Silent” whistle – these aren’t really silent for everyone, mom used to call me home with one if I was late for dinner, if I was within 5-6 blocks of the house I couldn’t not hear it
• Blank gun and blank ammunition
• Ball/treat pouch(s)
• Long lead(s) up to 30’
• Stake out lines (modern versions utilize bungee)
• Transport container/kennel
• Additional grooming tools (i.e. slicker brushes, undercoat brushes)
• Chew toys (i.e. Kong, tugs)
• Scent decoys: explosive (ammonium nitrate, HMTD, PETN, potassium chloride, Semtex, RDX, TATP, TNT, urea nitrate, smokeless powder, black powder, ICAO taggants) and drugs (cocaine, fentanyl, heroin, methamphetamine, PCP, cannabis)
• Scent boxes
• Scent bags
• LOTS of treats
Old 06-14-2021, 07:37 AM

I've been running through various dog-training companies and came up with these items:

Schutzhund Blind (7’ tall, heavy, rubberized material with three collapsible, take-down metal support poles.) This is used to conceal the 'dummy' wearing the bite suit. Usually has 3-4 of these scattered with one holding a person. Also features an eyehole on each side to observe the handler.

1-Meter High Jump (1m high (3 feet) and can be easily disassembled without tools for storage or transport. This jump is fully adjustable for different heights. All hardware and tubing is stainless steel and the jump is made from an extra heavy-duty rubberized material.

Schutzhund Dumbbells (One 650g dumbbell, one 1000g dumbbell, and one 2000g dumbbell.) Used for training the dog to bite the handle.

Jute Dumbbell (650g dumbbell) This is wrapped with a layer of jute to encourage the dog to hold onto the handle and not the ends.

Thorn Dumbbell (650g dumbbell has wooden thorns sticking up to encourage the dog to hold onto the handle and not the ends.

Tracking Flag Caddy (Features a removable threaded cap and carrying sling. Will hold up to 50 tracking flags.)

(50) Tracking Flags (Fluorescent flag has a 21" wire stake so that it is easy to see in tall grass. Use when laying tracks so that the handler knows exactly where the track is laid.)

Multicam Training Vest (Nylon vest is designed for year-round and all-weather use. It has plenty of pockets for training gear. Removable front treat pocket which can be worn on either side. Velcro straps allow you to attach tugs for focused heeling. There is one large back pocket with openings at each end.)
Old 06-14-2021, 07:41 AM

My thoughts on this, at least at this stage, are for three types of dogs:

Guard Dog

Disposal Dog

Scout Dog

Thoughts?
Old 06-14-2021, 09:08 AM

Same basic list with some additional specialization
• Apprehension
• Detection
- Explosive
- Drug
- Cadaver
• Guard/Patrolling
• Military Working (Apprehension/Detection/Guard)
• Search & Rescue
• Tracking
Old 06-15-2021, 12:14 AM

Dog boots/socks? Used by search and rescue dogs to protect the paws, probably even more important when you can't just nip off to the vet to get any injury treated.
Old 06-15-2021, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigD6er View Post
Dog boots/socks? Used by search and rescue dogs to protect the paws, probably even more important when you can't just nip off to the vet to get any injury treated.
Good point. I was limiting my gear to training rather than operational items per the original question. But the K9 would need training time with the operational gear to be comfortable in them. Besides boots, you could add hearing and eye protection, dedicated first aid kit, cooling pack(s) [relative recent thing], ballistic vest, and tactical harness. Plus accessories for the harness such as remote camera, radio, and lights.
Old 06-15-2021, 04:05 PM

Never forget that Morrow may have access to advanced training techniques that can result in superior results, as shown here:
Attached Images

Old 06-20-2021, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon500ly View Post
My thoughts on this, at least at this stage, are for three types of dogs:

Guard Dog

Disposal Dog

Scout Dog

Thoughts?
you forgot the tracking dogs,, good old blood hound is worth its weight...
Old 06-29-2021, 06:16 PM

So Guard Dog, Detection Dog (Explosive, Body or Drugs, perhaps trained in all three?), Scout Dog (Tracker Dog) for the basic types.
Old 08-17-2021, 08:25 PM

Default Doggies

I’m told the terms are quite specific, a “guard dog“ can mean passive watch dog
or mil-spec working animal which also attacks. I believe dogs can be trained to accomplish multiple tasks with certain breeds being optimized for their trades. Do you include other animals in your training? Do you freeze pretrained creatures?
Old 01-14-2022, 03:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmartin798 View Post
Never forget that Morrow may have access to advanced training techniques that can result in superior results, as shown here:
Ha, ha... that would be awesome, I won't lie. )

Last edited by Pop Alexandra; 05-03-2022 at 12:30 AM.
Old 05-31-2022, 11:27 PM

Default Dogs

This was the load I came up with, and the dog to go with it. Not a dog expert by any means, make of it what you will.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Morrow Dogs.pdf (249.5 KB, 23 views)