RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 01-11-2010, 10:42 PM

Default Forum Idea/Suggestion

Is it possible for us to perhaps get a seperate OT section, or at the least a single, composite OT thead? I'm counting no less than 9 OT threads on the first page alone, roughly 1/3 of all posts. This cuts off a lot of valuable game threads that are bumped down onto the last page and ultimately lost.

Just a suggestion or idea.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:12 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusilier View Post
Is it possible for us to perhaps get a seperate OT section, or at the least a single, composite OT thead? I'm counting no less than 9 OT threads on the first page alone, roughly 1/3 of all posts. This cuts off a lot of valuable game threads that are bumped down onto the last page and ultimately lost.

Just a suggestion or idea.
I may have to become more vigilant on OT threads. Perhaps moving book and movie recommendations into their corresponding threads. Maybe grouping "humor" threads weekly as well. It probably will depend on how much traction a thread gets as 3 humor threads with 10 followups merged together would be confusing.

As far as falling off the front page, nothing is ever "lost". I believe the default settings are to show one months of threads (for the most part that is to get search engines to focus on newer threads). These settings can be changed on

User CP -> Edit Options -> Default Thread Age Cut Off

Set to "Show all threads"

I also suggest setting "Number of Posts to Show Per Page"

to 40 on the same page. Results in fewer clicks to see the same data.

I could change these defaults but in general it would increase by bandwidth usage by bots without much gain (Google already hits all pages).

Non registered users can get also see all posts by changing the "Display Options" near the bottom of the page and change "From the" to "Beginning"

In general I don't mind OT threads, but sometimes they do seem to dominate. To be honest it still amazes me that we can have any new topics after 25 years of thinking and ~13 of discussing.

Oh another solution is to go back into the older threads and bump something which is on topic back up to the top. Users are always coming and going (and hopefully coming back) so if you have something new to say on an older topic, go for it, as new eyes might fall upon it.

Last edited by kato13; 01-12-2010 at 12:20 AM.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:56 AM

For my part I don't think there is much need to change anything. Everything can be seen with only a few cliks at that's very handy.

The Tag search helps a lot also.

Tags
support