RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 09-10-2008, 04:10 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default How many PCs have you had killed?

kcdusk 08-21-2008, 02:54 AM As players, how many PCs have you had die in either FtF or online T2K games across the years?

I'll fess up, and admit i have not had one T2K player die in a game. I think that just means i have not played enough FtF or online games.

Targan 08-21-2008, 03:51 AM I've played in maybe three or four T2K campaigns since the mid 80s and I don't recall any of my characters dying. But I've GM'd probably a dozen or more T2K campaigns across the decades and killed off dozens of PCs. I'm not sure whether your question relates to my own PCs or PCs in games I've been involved with as a player or GM.

kcdusk 08-21-2008, 04:38 AM I guess my question was aimed at how many PCs you've had die on you, as a player.

But more info is better than less.

Targan 08-21-2008, 04:46 AM I've just realised you made it clear in your question what you meant and I just wasn't paying enough attention. Sorry. So, neither of us has lost a character huh? We must be sneaky types then I guess. Well that's my reason anyway. Maybe you have really good dice-fu?

simonmark6 08-21-2008, 07:26 AM In T2K, ah so many deaths, so little time, as far as I can remember, at least 50. Some of our games were very high mortality.

One died when he contracted Aids after eating part of a corpse in a bizarre ritual to infiltrate a cannibal gang.

In a "Free City of Krakow" scenario, I had two characters, an Engineer and a Marine Sniper. As the Engineer cleared a path to the helicopter in the castle, he fumbled a trap, but the GM ruled he'd caught the detonator with his thumb. The others went on, eventually as the raid went on he cut his own thumb off and just made it too the top of the tower to jump on the chopper as it tried to escape. Then the AA opened up and he was jerked out of the chopper, hitting the courtyard below. My GM was a rules stickler and we rolled for everything and the PC survived the drop. Until the rest of the group used the fuel cell and a Willie Pete to clear the courtyard of enemy. My final words were, "How dead do I have to be to stop rolling?"

Then, as the chopper flew away it was taken under fire, first the under-carriage went, then the tail rotor, then the forward controls and than the rotor. The Marine Sniper clarified the situation, "So we're in a metal box, three thousand meters above the Vistula and there are no parachutes?"

That was the third consecutive total PK for that GM. I didn't mind, we deserved it.

Not my PCs, but one of my very good friends went through a munchkin phase just after we'd started to wise up about how to role play as opposed to roll playing and tended to screw the game up as only a power crazed thirteen year old can. He was the brother of one of teh girls in the group so we had to put up with him. His PCs used to die at least eight times a game, usually by the hands of other PCs. In the end it was SOP in the group to automatically shoot anyone carrying a Barret Big 50 on sight.

That said, the guy grew up to be an absolute diamond. He's the best Cthullu GM I've ever played under. The old game group gets together once a year for a week and everyone wants him to run the games. His sister is in some sort of Lesbian Hippy Commune in Oregon, so it's a funny old world...

General Pain 08-21-2008, 07:45 AM I've just realised you made it clear in your question what you meant and I just wasn't paying enough attention. Sorry. So, neither of us has lost a character huh? We must be sneaky types then I guess. Well that's my reason anyway. Maybe you have really good dice-fu?

Ohhh....they have a nae for guys like that....

I myself has lost atleast 10 pcs since I started playing..Usually because of stupidity (my own or someone elses) or by other pcs in a heated argument that went sour....

One of my personal favourites was: shot in the back after rescuing a fellow pc from a krakow prison.....bad thing I had a backpack loaded with experimental nervegass handgrenades and other explosives

Hangfire7 08-21-2008, 03:58 PM In T2K, ah so many deaths, so little time, as far as I His sister is in some sort of Lesbian Hippy Commune in Oregon, so it's a funny old world...

And do you have directions to this place?

Actualy as a player I was usualy good with my PCs, I may have lost half a dozen. Not including the ones who were killed by a GM when the games dried up and I got out of the habit of checking. But PCs who were killed when they were activiely played.

I must say however, half of those killed where usualy killed when I let someone else handle them while I had to stand a watch. Its amazing how brave my coplayers would be with other peoples characters.

One died from a sniper shot to the head when they went to make contact with a group who had their own fortified community. The GM had us contact that communities rivals who gave us bad intel, so we thought they were hostile. As Sean was scouting he brought his M14 up to scope the area, little did we know we were under ovservation the whole time, he was mortarly wounded and took a round to the head. What sucked was his wife was the units Dr and had to operate on him.

Stacey, a freind ran him while I had to stand a watch. He had infiltrated the New Americans who had set up in a secure mountain compound. The guy handling him had him try to rush up a sunken road with walls on both and sides a quad .50 covering the only entrance. Needless to say I ended up thumping my buddy there.

Another PC with a killed GM, 50% casualties in the first contact, this GM was a killer. He was manning the turret of a BRDM I beleive verses two BMPs. The turret was riddled as its systems were shot away. He was down to manual traverse firing back at extreme range until he took a couple rounds and that was that.

Another was wounded. An infection set in and then they were on foot and a platoon of Ivans showed up the party scattered, he found himself to weak to move, with the use of one arm laying against a wheel to the cart. So, havin little recourse he pulled out a pistol and a M67 frag and waited, playing possum. He took a couple Ivans with him when they got close enough and let the spoon fly.

I had another one take a direct hit from a 152, he simply disapeared.

I am sure there are others but for the life of me I can't recall them.

pmulcahy 08-21-2008, 05:52 PM Jeez, I've lost track! And if you figure in all the RPGs I've ever played, I've really lost track!

Raellus 08-21-2008, 07:12 PM I've only ever played in 8 T2K games, all PbPs or PBEMs, all within the last two years. I've never had a PC die on me (knock on wood). In fact, my PCs have outlived 4 of those games, all of which folded before my respective PCs came to grief. I quit 3 games, so I guess that's cheating a bit. At the moment, I have one only one active PC (in fusilier's game). He's currently pinned down by MG fire with 120mm mortar rounds walking towards him so my good fortune may end very soon.

As a PbP GM, I really don't want to have to kill off other people's PCs. All that hard work creating and playing them- to just end it on the roll of the dice seems so arbitrary. But, I guess that's life (or death), really. On the other hand, they have been awfully lucky on their rolls so I really haven't had to cheat (much). Out of about a score of active PCs in my year-old campaign, only one has been KIA (Law's Viktor Ritter) in the two weeks of IG time that have elapsed. Several, though, have been wounded during that time.

However, when players disappear or quit, well then I'm merciless, offing them to twist the plot or for dramatic effect. About 6-7 or seven inactive PCs have met their fate for this reason.

Snake Eyes 08-21-2008, 07:40 PM The merciless Cap'n Rae has killed me twice. But I deserved it.

Raellus 08-21-2008, 08:02 PM The merciless Cap'n Rae has killed me twice. But I deserved it.

But the second time I killed him off in style!

I had the recently resigned Snake's PC jump on top of a grenade hurled by a different, player-abandoned PC, saving the lives of two of the active PCs.

The latter player-abandoned PC (not Snake's) I had turn traitor in the middle of a firefight with a group of rogue U.S. SOF-led partisans. The whole improvised episode worked really well both plot-wise and character-wise since the former PC had been played as an off-beat fellow with a rather shady past. As he continued his surprise, murderous rampage, he was shot and killed by one of the surviving PCs. Two birds- one stone. Good times.

I must be doing something right, though- Snake's coming back for thirds!

; )

bigehauser 08-23-2008, 01:05 AM His sister is in some sort of Lesbian Hippy Commune in Oregon, so it's a funny old world...

I will tag along with anyone that wants to seek out this place.

bigehauser 08-23-2008, 02:01 AM But the second time I killed him off in style!

I had the recently resigned Snake's PC jump on top of a grenade hurled by a different, player-abandoned PC, saving the lives of two of the active PCs.

The latter player-abandoned PC (not Snake's) I had turn traitor in the middle of a firefight with a group of rogue U.S. SOF-led partisans. The whole improvised episode worked really well both plot-wise and character-wise since the former PC had been played as an off-beat fellow with a rather shady past. As he continued his surprise, murderous rampage, he was shot and killed by one of the surviving PCs. Two birds- one stone. Good times.

I must be doing something right, though- Snake's coming back for thirds!

; )

What game is this?

Where do you guys play?

Raellus 08-23-2008, 01:43 PM It's a Pirates of the Vistula PbP over on RPoL called "Twilight Cruise". There are probably about a half-dozen active T2K games on that site.

Hangfire7 08-23-2008, 03:00 PM I will tag along with anyone that wants to seek out this place.

Do I smell a ROAD TRIP!!!!

DeaconR 08-26-2008, 07:03 PM ...I couldn't picture a more pointless road trip. Are you saying that you WANT to go to a lesbian hippy commune? What's the point? Not to point out the obvious...

Anyway, I haven't lost count but there've been a bunch. I think one of my favourites was a friend of mine playing a german Panzer Unterleutnant who fumbled a grenade throw twice. Was that mean of me? I guess I could have just had it malfunction...