RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 05-28-2009, 05:30 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default A few European countries' summary pages

Was looking for information on the Ploesti oil fields and I found these. I had never seen these before so I thought I would post them.

Twilight 2000 Albania (by Sean Nolan)
Twilight 2000 Bulgaria (by Sean Nolan)
Twilight 2000 France (by Sean Nolan)
Twilight 2000 Greece (by Sean Nolan)
Twilight 2000 Romania (by Sean Nolan)
Twilight 2000 Turkey (by Sean Nolan)
Twilight 2000 Yugoslavia and Splinter States (by Sean Nolan)

Last edited by kato13; 02-06-2010 at 05:58 AM.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:48 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Grimace Send a message via AIM to Grimace Send a message via Yahoo to Grimace

Those are pretty cool! Thanks for the links!

Now if there was just something like that for central and south america, life would be peachy!
Old 05-29-2009, 11:56 AM

I find the assumption regarding an intact France a bit naive. If ever there was a neutral country worthy of being hit, France in 1997 and 1998 is a wonderful candidate. The Soviets will want to ensure that France is brought down to size in the midst of any East-West nuclear exchange. The Russians haven't forgotten about Napoleon. A French Republic with its armed forces, manufacturing base, and infrastructure intact is almost certain to emerge as a regional superpower (at the very least). Said superpower might absorb the Netherlands, Germany, Austria, etc. and encroach on Russian territory and Russian interests. Better by far to use the existing Soviet nuclear arsenal to prevent such an outcome.

But what about the French nuclear arsenal? Surely the threat of French nuclear retaliation would stay the Soviets' nuclear trigger finger? Hardly. By the end of 1997, there is hardly a target in the USSR that is the equal of Paris or Marseilles. A one-for-one trade of nukes will be decidedly to the Soviets' advantage. The loss of one more air base, refinery, or dirty industrial city in the Urals can hardly be compared to the destruction of Paris.

The United States and the United Kingdom are unlikely to view favorably the survival of pre-war France. Both countries have sacrificed enormously. The leaders of these countries aren't fools. They know that an untouched France has the capacity to remake Europe in her own image. The anglophone attitude is likely to be '**** that'

Both sides can easily launch from submarines, thereby giving themselves deniability. The French know that both sides have reasons to bear France enmity. Who's to say who launched an SLBM from the South Atlantic? Against whom will the French retaliate? It's a sticky problem so sticky, in fact, that the existing environment of nuclear exchange serves to undo the French ability to prevent nuclear attacks on France by threatening retaliation.

In short, I find it inconceivable that France will not have been struck by a number of nuclear weapons. I see no reason to assume that France is in anything like its pre-war state. The situation probably won't be as bad as it is in the US because the French armed forces are available to maintain order. Nevertheless, France in 2000 cannot be different than the other NATO powers in anything more than degree. Both NATO and the Soviets will have seen to that.

Webstral

Last edited by kato13; 02-06-2010 at 06:06 AM.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:46 PM

I always assumed that France would have suffered some nuclear strikes and I agree with the premise of what you are saying Webstral. Does it say inywhere in canon that France wasn't nuked at all? How far from canon would you be prepared to stray in fleshing out France's (albeit partial) destruction?
Old 05-30-2009, 12:18 AM

Send a message via AIM to natehale1971 Send a message via MSN to natehale1971 Send a message via Yahoo to natehale1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targan
I always assumed that France would have suffered some nuclear strikes and I agree with the premise of what you are saying Webstral. Does it say inywhere in canon that France wasn't nuked at all? How far from canon would you be prepared to stray in fleshing out France's (albeit partial) destruction?
If i remember right French ports got nuked, as well as some of their strategic military targets to keep them from being used by 'the other side'...

In my T2k setting, after the French-led Med Alliance 'stabbed NATO in the back' with the attacks on NATO members (especially the invasion of the Rhineland) caused France to be on the recieving in on a LOT of conventional attacks... Nukes didnt happen until after the nuclear exchanges when some NATO field commanders too the chaos as a chance to hit a few OTHER targets as well.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:29 AM

Location: Somewhere in the Eastern U.P. on the edge of Civilization.

In the canon they clearly state that areas with in the French Union did get hit with Nukes. This was done by both sides for two reason. 1st off to deny access of material to the enemy. 2nd off there has always been deep seated mistrust between Germany and France, both haven't been the best of European neighbors. As many in Europe felt united Germany was a evil, it is needed to counter a France that has shown it willingness before to try to unite Europe too.

Just some thoughts.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:48 PM
Activist Rules Lawyer

any one seen Dan Hebditch's etranger page?

From what I recall Dan is a heavy contributor to the Etranger yahoo group (2300AD)

He's got some links to T2k stuff, notably a British Army orbat (not that I want to take away from Rainbow six's info) and a history of the French Air Force in T2k.

bdd
Old 06-04-2009, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiedowndonovan

From what I recall Dan is a heavy contributor to the Etranger yahoo group (2300AD)

He's got some links to T2k stuff, notably a British Army orbat (not that I want to take away from Rainbow six's info) and a history of the French Air Force in T2k.

bdd
Yes. I wish he did more Tw2000 articles though. I came across that site a while ago and incorporated quite a few chunks.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiedowndonovan
I came across Dan's site by accident a few years ago...there's some good stuff on it...I like the article he has about Cavalry in T2K.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:59 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

A guest was looking at this page and the links were still to geocities. I have updated them to reocities and the should work now.

At some point I will try to find and update them all, but if you find one before I do give it a bump or PM me.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:55 AM

Thank you Kato, those links are a nice addiction to several (and also forgotten) countries... unfortunately I can't find something related to Italy

Tags
countries, eastern europe, europe, locations, western europe