RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

View Poll Results: What is your level of military service?
Currently in the military (active or reserve) 30 12.30%
No longer in the military 110 45.08%
Never served in the military 104 42.62%
Voters: 244. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-13-2008, 01:04 PM

Credit for 10 years 11 months and 11 days, Five years grunt, then five in TC as traffic manager. 1968-1979 Exotic tours in SEA, ROK, and FRG (over half the total service time.

Grae
Old 11-13-2008, 09:20 PM

Location: Equaly at home in the water, the mountains and the desert.

Well there's a familiar face err um screen name! How have you been? Where have you been Grae?
Old 11-14-2008, 07:46 AM

Chugging along, fighting RL. Nice to get back amoung folks with common interests. Back in Texas after five years in Mizzery. Didn't really want to leave there as had a great job, but the things you do for family........

Grae
Old 11-14-2008, 08:56 AM

I recall mi amigo, I dealt with the same thing. Still am well, its after affects.

Anyhow glad to see you again, so many good people have disapeared into the either, and I am glad you found your way.

Jes
Old 11-15-2008, 01:38 AM

Send a message via MSN to Ed the Coastie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester
Hmmm?

Again I ask, why on earth would someone downgrade?

Coast Guard=boats=no humping, and they sleep in beds and have hot food. Why on earth would anyone want to give that up for being bounced and battered in a armored vehicle, choking on diesel fumes and living in the cold or heat?

Ed, by any chance are you tall? Did you possibly bang your head on those bulkheads and do yourself an injury? Thats the only explaination I can fathom...
It's a long story, but in a nutshell I had the "misfortune" of being the boarding officer on a drug bust that involved in a VERY negative way a close family member of a then-prominent United States senator. As a result, I became a political hot potato for the Coast Guard...so the Army offered to take me off of the Coast Guard's hands, put me through officer training and do it's best to hide me within it's own ranks.

It worked out pretty well for both sides. The Coast Guard was shielded from a potentially embarrassing inquiry, and the Army wound up with an officer possessing an unconventional enough background to comfortably fulfill various oddball assignments.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:53 AM

Default holy crap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Coastie
It's a long story, but in a nutshell I had the "misfortune" of being the boarding officer on a drug bust that involved in a VERY negative way a close family member of a then-prominent United States senator. As a result, I became a political hot potato for the Coast Guard...so the Army offered to take me off of the Coast Guard's hands, put me through officer training and do it's best to hide me within it's own ranks.

It worked out pretty well for both sides. The Coast Guard was shielded from a potentially embarrassing inquiry, and the Army wound up with an officer possessing an unconventional enough background to comfortably fulfill various oddball assignments.

sounds like a hell of a plot .

what happened to the druggie /"importer" ?
Old 11-16-2008, 01:59 AM

Send a message via MSN to Ed the Coastie

Quote:
Originally Posted by headquarters
sounds like a hell of a plot .
*chuckling* Yeah, but it was typical of my entire career.

Quote:
what happened to the druggie /"importer" ?
I'm not at liberty to say.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:05 PM

Default echelon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Coastie
*chuckling* Yeah, but it was typical of my entire career.

I'm not at liberty to say.
I am thinking aboout the surveillance system nSA goyt set up - what the f*** will they think when these boards come blinking up on tehir screens with all our talk of nuclear devices and major metropolitan areas ,sedition,murder and of course bomb and whitehouse.

Wonder if they ever think - hey that is a pretty good idea -put in the manual !

Anyone got a nondescript van with blackened windows on their block as we speak ? hehe

Dont worry Coastie.I get it .

The relative sleeps with the fishes .

roger that .

lol
Old 11-16-2008, 03:00 PM
The Stat Guy

I used to wonder about that and our sites, but I figured that somebody was actually using their brains (a rarity in the government!).
Old 11-16-2008, 08:10 PM

Well it would probably help that we are all clearly patriots and not a word has been said by any of us that would suggest we are terrorist sympathisers.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:22 AM

Default eeeh..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targan
Well it would probably help that we are all clearly patriots and not a word has been said by any of us that would suggest we are terrorist sympathisers.
well if you look away from the fact that our chosen playground is a a USA devestated by war and split into fiefs and areas of lawless chaos with people using that Abe Lincoln monument in DC as a ritual human sacrifice spot -then yeah.

No seriously .I suppose they have just labeled us in the "harmless cookoos" category and read our stuff on slow shofts to get a chuckle .
Old 11-17-2008, 01:22 AM

Default oopss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b
I used to wonder about that and our sites, but I figured that somebody was actually using their brains (a rarity in the government!).

they will get you for that one !
Old 11-17-2008, 09:33 AM

Then I guess mention our annual ritual "removal and burning of mattress tags"
is right out then?...Oops!
Old 11-17-2008, 10:26 AM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Weiser
Then I guess mention our annual ritual "removal and burning of mattress tags"
is right out then?...Oops!
Uh-oh...I don't burn them, I just throw them out! I guess the NSA has a lot of those charges stacked up against me, since they pick through my garbage disguised as sanitation workers all the time...
Old 11-29-2008, 09:44 AM
Registered Snow Shoveller

On the relevant topic of the poll, no, I have never been in the military. Currently, I'm tracking myself to go into emergency services (firefighting, EMT, etc) when everything is all said and done.

Well, either that, or doing toxicology on dead people - I must confess, I haven't entirely decided yet.

And as for the NSA... "just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you!" and all that.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:37 PM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CStock88
On the relevant topic of the poll, no, I have never been in the military. Currently, I'm tracking myself to go into emergency services (firefighting, EMT, etc) when everything is all said and done.

Well, either that, or doing toxicology on dead people - I must confess, I haven't entirely decided yet.

And as for the NSA... "just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you!" and all that.
Cool, emergency medicine is a very relevant topic in T2K! But if you go the toxicology on dead people route -- are you going to be on CSI, CSI:Miami, or CSI:NY?
Old 12-05-2008, 10:40 PM
Player to be named later

Well, I'm the newbie here (or would FNG be more appropriate?) so I'll chime in. When I was younger I thought about serving, talked to a few recruiters, was told that my asthma and knee injuries might be issues, and then dropped the idea to move on to college. Kept Mom and Dad happy and college sure had fewer rules than the Marines it seemed. Every now and again I wonder what might have been, but there's no sense crying over spilt milk I suppose...
Old 12-06-2008, 12:56 AM

Welcome to the forum JimmyRay. Good to have you with us.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b
Cool, emergency medicine is a very relevant topic in T2K! But if you go the toxicology on dead people route -- are you going to be on CSI, CSI:Miami, or CSI:NY?

Hey, lets not forget NCIS or Bones.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:30 AM
The Stat Guy

I'd pick CSI:Miami. The women on the show are hotter, and they have computer equipment so modern it doesn't exist yet!

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 01-03-2009, 06:59 AM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigehauser
Paul's statement is why I am so glad I may actually get the unit that my avatar is....stationed BACK HOME, forty-five minutes from my house: Joint Communication Support Element.

WOOOO!!!!

Sorry...I am a bit tipsy...and am happy things are slowly starting to take shape in my life
Sooo...are you an Airborne computer geek or an Airborne skirt-chaser?

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 01-25-2009, 09:15 AM
Registered Kraut

Hi there, everybody!

I served as a conscript in the German Bundeswehr for 15 month (From 1985 to 1986). Although we were adressed as "Panzergrenadier", we were "Jäger". We were equipped with the M 113, but normally marshed without our PCs.

Most conscripts had a very bad training, but I served in an unit, that should be one of the first at the inner-German frontier, if there had been a war. Well, luckily there was none and I'm more than glad, that it came out that way.

Compared to other German units, our training was good enough.

"IT'S A FREAKIN GAME, PEOPLE!"; Weswood, 5-12-2012
Old 01-27-2009, 10:06 PM

Hi guys.

7 years as a FO in the Royal Artillary than transferred to the Royal Logistics Corps for another 4.

Some of my holiday spots included the Gulf (91), Bosnia (94 & 95) and Kosovo (99).

I always seemed to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and somehow got volunteered to go somewhere dangerous.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:00 AM

Apparently I voted in the poll but never added my experience in the thread.

USMC '85-89, USMCR 90-92. Logistics and Embarkation. Served all my active duty time with the Air Wings, picked up Corporal, did my reserve time with an Infantry Battalion (1/23), picked up Sgt.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.T.
Hi there, everybody!

I served as a conscript in the German Bundeswehr for 15 month (From 1985 to 1986). Although we were adressed as "Panzergrenadier", we were "Jäger". We were equipped with the M 113, but normally marched without our PCs.

Most conscripts had a very bad training, but I served in an unit, that should be one of the first at the inner-German frontier, if there had been a war. Well, luckily there was none and I'm more than glad, that it came out that way.

Compared to other German units, our training was good enough.

You didn't have an American M 577 attach itself to your unit in the '86 REFORGER exercise, did you?
If so, It was our company Operations Sergeant.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:52 AM

Hello all. I looked for the best place to do an introduction and was unable to find anywhere that looked as good or better than this. So...please don't misconstrue this as an attempt to brag or beat my chest in an attempt to belittle others.

My name is Eddie Thomas. No reason to hide it as it's in the publication credits for Twilight: 2013 and it's going to become quickly apparent that I found this place through that medium.

I'm an Infantry officer in the United States Army currently on Active Duty at Schofield Barracks, HI. I've been in the Army for a total of eleven years with a small break in service to get my degrees. I started off as an enlisted man before I had said break in service and then went to OCS after completing college.

My qualifications include a myriad of things, to include Ranger School, Sniper School, Basic Airborne, Air Assault, Infantry Mortar Leader's Course, Stryker Leader's Course, Sniper Employment, and a few other piddly schools. I've served in 3rd Bn, 75th Ranger Regiment; 2nd BDE, 10th Mountain Division; 2nd BDE, 25th Infantry division; and a couple of TRADOC units that I prefer not to mention. I just returned five days ago from the [dripping sarcasm]wonderful vacation spot[/dripping sarcasm] known as Iraq. My most important claim from that deployment? The only soldier that I didn't bring back with me, I lost due to him dislocating his kneecap playing football on Christmas Eve in 2008 and going home three months early.

My non-military education includes two Bachelors degrees in Management and Finance, and I'm currently attempting to complete the last three classes I need for my Physics degree. However, it'll be some time before I'm capable of doing that without losing lots of credits through transferring schools.

Writing and publication credits to me, I've done a little bit of consultation work and minor writing up until T2K13. Most of these were with Clayton in the Spycraft line for the Militaries series of books and some of it was with the Stargate line, though most of that was pushed through by another friend.

Outside of work and education, I have three children ranging from 6-12, help out on their soccer teams and I've taught jujutsu since 2002.

So you can see, I've led a pretty eventful life and have a wide experience base to draw on. I consider myself no expert on any subject, but I'm pretty damned knowledgeable when it comes down to it.

I look forward to adding to this community and already see some names that look familiar to me.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:00 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

Welcome aboard.

There are quite a few points of T2k13 and T2k overlap so there is a considerable amount of cross pollination between the two forums.

You have quite an interesting back story (which ironically could never be duplicated with either rule set lol ) and I and I am sure others look forward to your input.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:27 AM

Default welcome aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie
Hello all. I looked for the best place to do an introduction and was unable to find anywhere that looked as good or better than this. So...please don't misconstrue this as an attempt to brag or beat my chest in an attempt to belittle others.

My name is Eddie Thomas. No reason to hide it as it's in the publication credits for Twilight: 2013 and it's going to become quickly apparent that I found this place through that medium.

I'm an Infantry officer in the United States Army currently on Active Duty at Schofield Barracks, HI. I've been in the Army for a total of eleven years with a small break in service to get my degrees. I started off as an enlisted man before I had said break in service and then went to OCS after completing college.

My qualifications include a myriad of things, to include Ranger School, Sniper School, Basic Airborne, Air Assault, Infantry Mortar Leader's Course, Stryker Leader's Course, Sniper Employment, and a few other piddly schools. I've served in 3rd Bn, 75th Ranger Regiment; 2nd BDE, 10th Mountain Division; 2nd BDE, 25th Infantry division; and a couple of TRADOC units that I prefer not to mention. I just returned five days ago from the [dripping sarcasm]wonderful vacation spot[/dripping sarcasm] known as Iraq. My most important claim from that deployment? The only soldier that I didn't bring back with me, I lost due to him dislocating his kneecap playing football on Christmas Eve in 2008 and going home three months early.

My non-military education includes two Bachelors degrees in Management and Finance, and I'm currently attempting to complete the last three classes I need for my Physics degree. However, it'll be some time before I'm capable of doing that without losing lots of credits through transferring schools.

Writing and publication credits to me, I've done a little bit of consultation work and minor writing up until T2K13. Most of these were with Clayton in the Spycraft line for the Militaries series of books and some of it was with the Stargate line, though most of that was pushed through by another friend.

Outside of work and education, I have three children ranging from 6-12, help out on their soccer teams and I've taught jujutsu since 2002.

So you can see, I've led a pretty eventful life and have a wide experience base to draw on. I consider myself no expert on any subject, but I'm pretty damned knowledgeable when it comes down to it.

I look forward to adding to this community and already see some names that look familiar to me.
good to have you onboard - welcome to the best T2K boards on the planet !

you seem to have a full schedule there .Do you get any playing done ?
Old 03-04-2009, 01:43 AM

Welcome to the forum. Pull up a chair and call the cat a bastard.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headquarters
good to have you onboard - welcome to the best T2K boards on the planet !

you seem to have a full schedule there .Do you get any playing done ?
The only playing I've done for the last three years has been Play-by-Post stuff on a friend's website. Unfortunately, those games die out pretty quick because of RL. At least that's the excuse that we always get. Truth of the matter is, the same three people keep popping up, the pace is so slow only those three of us bear with it, and the games die. So I'll have sporadic bouts of gaming flurry, followed by long dry spells waiting to know if I can do what I'm trying to do. You know?

Tags
demographics, polls