RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 01-17-2020, 03:15 PM

Default Most unusual death in a T2K campaign?

What is the most unusual death you've seen in a campaign?
Old 01-17-2020, 07:02 PM

Hmmmm....

1) Back in 85-86, my first T2k campaign ever. New player, new character, first firefight. He's riding in the group's fuel-carrying truck, it's hit and catches fire. I figure an easy AGL check to bail out, or take damage. I think he tanked the roll, and the character died. He never played with us again.

2) approximately 1988, college now: new player, new character, first firefight, first shot by the enemy: {roll randomly} at the new guy, [roll] head shot, [roll] dead. Ooops. Similarities to the above noted. He played with us again, but I'm not sure that campaign lasted much longer.

3) Back in that first campaign, during Pirates of the Vistula: the boat & barge are moving by night, not seeing one of the heavily-armed groups on shore. The bad guys open with a mortar that just misses the tug. [roll] that lands just a few meters off the side, near where one of the PCs is sleeping. Ha, ha, guess Capt. Tackleberry got splashed awake. Next round, Capt. T. is awake, and pulls up his sniper rifle. [roll] he IDs the mortar team. [roll, roll, roll] he gets 3 hits! [roll, roll, roll] 2 of them are fatal head shots. "OK, no one wake up the captain by dousing him with water!!!!!"
Old 01-17-2020, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adm.Lee View Post
3) Back in that first campaign, during Pirates of the Vistula: the boat & barge are moving by night, not seeing one of the heavily-armed groups on shore. The bad guys open with a mortar that just misses the tug. [roll] that lands just a few meters off the side, near where one of the PCs is sleeping. Ha, ha, guess Capt. Tackleberry got splashed awake. Next round, Capt. T. is awake, and pulls up his sniper rifle. [roll] he IDs the mortar team. [roll, roll, roll] he gets 3 hits! [roll, roll, roll] 2 of them are fatal head shots. "OK, no one wake up the captain by dousing him with water!!!!!"
See this is why you should always site your indirect fire weapons in dead ground and use a concealed forward observer.

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Old 01-18-2020, 09:28 AM
The Stat Guy

The most unusual deaths in a T2K game I've been in were done by another PC -- by a doctor, of all things!

She did carry an Uzi for if she felt she needed it, but her primary weapon was the axe from our M113's pioneer tools set. She'd very stealthily sneak behind the enemy and dispatch them , usually with a blow to the head with her axe. Then, just for good measure, she'd give the enemy soldier two or three more whacks.

I do not think this character followed the Hippocratic Oath when she was hunting with her axe!

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com

Last edited by pmulcahy11b; 01-18-2020 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Mispelling that confused the entire sentence I was typing.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:26 PM

How about getting eaten by a Crocodile?

I have my players generate TWO characters for my games. When one character is badly wounded or otherwise not playable, OR for certain situations where a different MOS is a "better fit," the player simply switches PCs and continues on with the alternate character. I even had one player who chose to believe his two characters HATED each other and got into a fight whenever their paths crossed.

One of my players was playing their alternate PC and tried to swim across a river in the Congo to escape some insurgents who were chasing the party. The chance of a Wilderness encounter was a 1 in 20. I rolled a 1. The critter in question? A Nile Croc! The other PC (covering the 1st PC's escape swim) watched in horror as his partner was dragged under, tenderized, and eaten. He decided surrender was preferable to being eaten alive...