RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 12-15-2015, 11:15 PM

Default more questions about rules...

I can't find much for rules about rad/chem protection and related material.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:41 AM
Staff Headquarter Weinie

No there is not a lot about it, in the basic rules beyond the PC RADS. The only module adventure where it really comes into play is in the Ruins of Warsaw.

I'm guessing the creators didn’t really think that it would be a big part of the game.

I noticed in the equipment listing that there are some CBRN items, like alarms masks, ect. I'm guess those item were put in so you could travel is straight line when traveling. "Oh the radiation alarm is going off guess you have go around that area too bad it’s the quickest way there, I wonder what will happen when we go this way."
Old 12-16-2015, 09:22 AM
The Stat Guy

Damn! I'm getting so old! I used to be able to rattle off NBC information while barely thinking about it...

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 12-16-2015, 12:59 PM

Well whatever I can get will be helpful. In my opinion radiation is a crucial part of most post-apoc fiction, be that realistic or sci-fi. Especially in t2k. Same thing with guns, vehicles, and equipment wearing out, distilling fuel, crafting things when necessary, uncomfortable moral dilemmas, etc...
Old 12-16-2015, 01:16 PM

True about "Ruins", but, its those little changes GM's secretly make that spice the game up!

1. Sometimes the appearance of "Rads" is enough to spook players ("Danger" signs, the 3 circled "chem hazard" symbol outside a village, mutilated animals in a field, a player putting their gas mask on and finding out in the process theres a hole in it ....).

2. I thought T2K v1 had some stuff on how to handle actual actual radiation exposure, i'll see if i can dig it out.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:12 PM

Rads from the 2.2 book (pg 242)

A character in a crater area suffers 1d6 rads per minute. If he is riding in an open vehicle, this is reduced by half, and if he is riding in an enclosed armored vehicle, it is reduced by a factor of 10. If he is travelling in a radiologically shielded vehicle, it is reduced by a factor of 100. The type of NBC protection a vehicle provides (Open, Enclosed or Radiologically Shielded) is noted on that vehicle's data card. The referee may choose to ignore the accumulation of fractional rads.

I would consider a military NBC suit with gas mask to give a 10 factor of reduction. They don't do much against radiation but would keep contaminated particles out of contact of the body, and the mask would keep them out of the respiratory tract (inhalation of irradiated particles is the largest threat of fallout). All these suits are composed of is a layer of charcoal, primarily intended to neutralize chemical agents. There is no lead shielding involved.

If your guys have come across PROPER radiation suits with a self contained breather, then the reduction factor of 100 should probably apply.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:04 PM

Draq, I have some true subject matter experts at my disposal. If you, or anyone on this board, can post your questions I can get some generic answers and then perhaps we can all work to flesh out the minimal rules provided in the game.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper31 View Post
Rads from the 2.2 book (pg 242)

A character in a crater area suffers 1d6 rads per minute. If he is riding in an open vehicle, this is reduced by half, and if he is riding in an enclosed armored vehicle, it is reduced by a factor of 10. If he is travelling in a radiologically shielded vehicle, it is reduced by a factor of 100. The type of NBC protection a vehicle provides (Open, Enclosed or Radiologically Shielded) is noted on that vehicle's data card. The referee may choose to ignore the accumulation of fractional rads.

I would consider a military NBC suit with gas mask to give a 10 factor of reduction. They don't do much against radiation but would keep contaminated particles out of contact of the body, and the mask would keep them out of the respiratory tract (inhalation of irradiated particles is the largest threat of fallout). All these suits are composed of is a layer of charcoal, primarily intended to neutralize chemical agents. There is no lead shielding involved.

If your guys have come across PROPER radiation suits with a self contained breather, then the reduction factor of 100 should probably apply.
Concur, especially on the inhalation threat. That said, the rules did not even attempt to address the decon piece. There's also the rule of 10 to consider for radiation exposure. I think the rules did an ok job of dealing with radiation. Far less so for chem and bio, especially what we in the west know now about the Soviet programs. If you want to read a scary book check out "Biohazard" by Ken Alibek. Sweet dreams!

BTW Sapper 31 your Han Solo quote is awesome! And the updated quote from episode VII "It's true...all of it. It's all true" or something to that effect gave me chills!
Old 12-21-2015, 05:15 PM

[QUOTE=kcdusk;68898]True about "Ruins", but, its those little changes GM's secretly make that spice the game up!

1. Sometimes the appearance of "Rads" is enough to spook players ("Danger" signs, the 3 circled "chem hazard" symbol outside a village, mutilated animals in a field, a player putting their gas mask on and finding out in the process theres a hole in it ....).

My finest moment as a GM was when my PC's uncovered a suitcase of gold coins and jewels. They thought they hit the jackpot but failed to run any sort of rad detection equipment on the booty, which was covered by alpha and beta particles. I simply applied the contamination effects in the rules to each character's RAD total and then gradually described the effects until the longest serving character among them (highest RAD total) became deathly ill. Amazingly, one of the players (who was studying to be a chemical engineer) figured it out. Good times!
Old 12-22-2015, 03:16 PM

The rules make it seem like only the actual crater will still be hot, but considering how many large and small nukes were used, and remembering how far the fallout from Chernobyl spread, its seems like radiation would be as much of a threat as enemies, starvation/dehydration, disease, and getting lost. Radiation rules should be stout and simple, but also realistic and a real concern.
Old 12-22-2015, 03:18 PM

I'll review the 'ruins' section and come back.
Old 12-22-2015, 04:06 PM

I'll review the 'ruins' section and come back.
Old 12-22-2015, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draq View Post
The rules make it seem like only the actual crater will still be hot, but considering how many large and small nukes were used, and remembering how far the fallout from Chernobyl spread, its seems like radiation would be as much of a threat as enemies, starvation/dehydration, disease, and getting lost. Radiation rules should be stout and simple, but also realistic and a real concern.
There's a note to say (in the Twilight Encounters box I think) they deliberately downplayed the lasting effects of radiation to allow for a slightly "safer" world - one where everyone wasn't already dead or dying from the fallout. If they'd made it more realistic, almost everyone not locked away in a bunker would be a glowing corpse by the end of 1998.

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Old 12-22-2015, 05:52 PM

Understandable, but I think they underplayed things a little too far. Obviously it's the GMs discretion, but there's not really enough info to work with.
Old 12-23-2015, 03:25 PM

I seem to recall something from an interview GDW did long ago when the game was new about them not wanting to stress the nuclear contamination part too much - otherwise you characters will just sicken and die, which rather spoils the fun...

(Which is why in my games, nukes were not as heavily used as they seem to have been in others.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancestor View Post
BTW Sapper 31 your Han Solo quote is awesome!
Ah, but:

"Kid, I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other, and I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen *anything* to make me believe that there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything."

Uncle Ted
Old 12-26-2015, 03:23 PM

So I did find enough info in city of angels(?) To formulate something solid for radiation rules. Now to actually sit down and do it... Eventually, after I scan through the rest of the books, for more scraps of info.
Old 12-28-2015, 07:49 AM

Default NBC

There were a few bits on NBC (for 2.x) in my NBC article - there are a few updates - I will have another look at it, expand and post.
Old 12-28-2015, 12:06 PM

Default A few bits

Have a look at this - as ever everyone, please feel free to offer suggestions and criticism.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Chemical weapons.pdf (1.31 MB, 59 views)
Old 12-28-2015, 12:27 PM

Thanx. I can't wait to read it.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:14 PM

Excellent as usual, James. You write some of my favorites. One minor edit; the quote blurb at the end needs to have the box resized to fit the whole quote. And would it be possible to gather all the relevant rules/mechanics together? My only real complaint about t2k is how disorganized certain things are. I find it less frustrating to do a home conversion of v2.x into v1 than, for example, find every little detail and update for vehicles scattered across the whole series. I understand they had to expand the game as they went, but damn.

Last edited by Draq; 12-29-2015 at 08:21 PM.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:02 PM

James that was absolutely incredible! You clearly know your stuff! Not sure I can add much more.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:39 PM

I've started compiling all the information I can find about radiation, and maybe one day I can make a PDF, though it will probly pale in comparison.