RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 03-18-2009, 01:12 AM

Default Best job in T2K

Yesterday, I was watching something on the Altiplano of Peru. That reminded me of how fast cars are breaking down on you when you are not driving on nice hard roads.

As a result, I started to think that (beside brewers and alcohol makers) mechanics would be almost everywhere in T2K. You'll find at least one in every village and they would be among the wealthiest people around. The fun part is that, depending on the guy's knowledge, your vehicle might break down fast or last for several more miles.

Among the top professional I would put:
- Brewers and alcohol makers
- Mechanics
- Metal workers.

What do you think other good job can be in T2K?
Old 03-18-2009, 01:22 AM

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, MILGOV.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targan
Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, MILGOV.
I don't doubt that you will hold that job but I was thinking of more regular ones. The ones where you might not have to dodge too many atomics .
Old 03-18-2009, 02:23 AM

Any kind of medic will be very much in demand in the T2K world, be it a pre war GP, a med student or a local wise man/woman who knows traditional methods of treating illness or injury.

Farmers who are familiar with more traditional methods of agriculture are going to be very much in demand as modern methods become impractical due to lack of supplies. Likewise Vets are going to be in demand to look after livestock.

And of course military skills will be in demand to look after the vet, the doc, the mechanic and the brewer.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:29 AM

Location: Equaly at home in the water, the mountains and the desert.

I would say someone who is a good lab tech or microbiologist. A microscope, some slides and media to test cultures. I mean how else do you know if you are dealing with the Flu or the plague?

And the lab workers can also culture yeasts and such for making bread, beer and alcohol since you won't be able to pop on over to the store to buy store bought products its all from scratch now baby. As well as pencilin and morphine and even antiseptic.

Remember the technology to do those is pretty low tech, but the knowledge and developing it was the hardpart and now we have it so the rest is much easier.

I mean a lab, underground for stability, safety and temp and contaminant control. Power will be needed but most would consider it a needed expense for what was being produced.

A couple microscipes, a box of slides, assorted vials, test tubes and such to test and make cultures. Then when the right cultures are made to produce them in large batches and then process.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:02 AM
...not exactly open casket material

Send a message via MSN to General Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester
I would say someone who is a good lab tech or microbiologist. A microscope, some slides and media to test cultures. I mean how else do you know if you are dealing with the Flu or the plague?

And the lab workers can also culture yeasts and such for making bread, beer and alcohol since you won't be able to pop on over to the store to buy store bought products its all from scratch now baby. As well as pencilin and morphine and even antiseptic.

Remember the technology to do those is pretty low tech, but the knowledge and developing it was the hardpart and now we have it so the rest is much easier.

I mean a lab, underground for stability, safety and temp and contaminant control. Power will be needed but most would consider it a needed expense for what was being produced.

A couple microscipes, a box of slides, assorted vials, test tubes and such to test and make cultures. Then when the right cultures are made to produce them in large batches and then process.
I must agree, but it all depends on the timeline chosen by the GM.

If nothing grows because it's a permanent radioactive dust covering the athmosphere preventing sunlight and photosynthesis, anyone producing food would be the wealthy one....

apart from that in more canon-way of looking at it (fall of central government etc) mechanics and chemist would be rich
Old 03-18-2009, 04:17 AM

How about black marketeers?

Or pimps...?

Both would be providing services that would be in demand.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:39 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Six
How about black marketeers?

Or pimps...?

Both would be providing services that would be in demand.
Too much competition and too many enemies. Also while it may take a skill to perform these jobs you can be easily replaced.

Last edited by kato13; 03-18-2009 at 04:57 AM.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato13
Also white it may take a skill to perform these jobs you can be easily replaced.
Good point...I suppose they're not the sort of skills that you need years of training to acquire...
Old 03-18-2009, 05:13 AM
...not exactly open casket material

Send a message via MSN to General Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Six
Good point...I suppose they're not the sort of skills that you need years of training to acquire...
Hey man Pimping ain't easy.....
Old 03-18-2009, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Pain
Hey man Pimping ain't easy.....
I would imagine its like any job - depends on the quality of your merchandise
Old 03-18-2009, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester
You know easily the difference between flu and plague from the pile of dead bodies, from what they look like... However, the microbiologist allows you to know that just a little bit ahead. As a result, you might survive and not find out what the differences are from yourself.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:56 AM

How about people with language skills? Good interpreters could end up excused heavy manual work and being fed and protected by local military units.

For example, Poles who speaks fluent English might be in demand as translators / interpreters for a British or American unit in cantonment in Poland so the troops could communicate with the local doctor / blacksmith etc. Likewise Soviet units would be on the lookout for Russian speakers for the same reasons.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:06 AM

Pimps have their own problems, as shown from this extract from an rpol game...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusilier
As Damien's floating emporium of forbidden pleasures slowly backs away from the shoreline in a cloud of blue smoke, his voice can be heard trailing off above the din of revving engines and crackling small arms fire.

"Good luck Amis! Better you than me!"

Anyone taking a moment to look at the pimp would notice his lavish exit. Standing on the edge of his boat, Damian swings his goodbyes over his head with his large fedora hat. If they watched any longer they would notice the helmsman accelerate the sightseeing boat to make their hasty escape. Too preoccupied with ensuring his image is grand, Damian loses his balance and falls back into the craft. A pair of silver toed cowboy boots are left sticking up into the air.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:39 AM

Location: Equaly at home in the water, the mountains and the desert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoender
You know easily the difference between flu and plague from the pile of dead bodies, from what they look like... However, the microbiologist allows you to know that just a little bit ahead. As a result, you might survive and not find out what the differences are from yourself.

Well yes and now.

In T2K even the Flu would kill millions just like the Spanish flu of 1916-1919, it circled the world twice and mutated killing MILLIONS!

It would also give you an idea of how to treat those who are sick, what precautions to take. And it is a good idea to know this before you have piles of bodies because that will just result in the disease spreading much faster. Dang you Euopeans didn't you lean anything from the last plague! Sheesh!
Old 03-18-2009, 12:17 PM

Jest

I agree with you but I would simply expect the plague to kill at least twice as much. Especially in the West where no one has faced the plague for a long time. If a black plague breaks out in our countries after a nuclear armageddon, I would expect the death rate to reach at least 50% of the survivors much as it did in the 14th century. Actually, you have a very good point, the inhability of people to recognize it might make it even more deadly.

The death rate of a black plague could be something like 10 times that of the worse flu. An exception to that, however, could be a mutated version of H5N1. From what I read, so far it killed about 60% of the humans that have been infected. That would compare to the black death but we don't know (and don't want to know) what the result could be if a larger number of people were to get it.

Nevertheless, as stated in the game the various epidemics appearing everywhere would have a devastating effect. I find the figures of T2013 a little harsh (especially in term of gameplay) but I find that of T2K to be underestimated. As a a matter of fact, I often consider that the casualties are about 50% higher than the ones indicated per cannon. As an exemple, in my game, the number of survivors in the US is only around 80 million (out of 300+).

Last edited by Mohoender; 03-18-2009 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoender
....I find that of T2K to be underestimated.
So, you find a casualty rate of 97% a little light on then?

Ok, I admit, that's just for Selesia in the south of Poland and includes deaths from nukes, etc....
Old 03-18-2009, 04:57 PM

No I found that one stupid at best. If you compare it to the casualties everywhere else.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:06 PM

It does seem a little excessive compared to other areas at first glance, however, the area was fought over several times, subjected to a number of strategic nukes (and uncounted tac nukes), which would probably account for a large number of that 97% simply moving away from the area as refugees. The remainder would be attributable to disease, starvation, exposure, and all the other causes of death found everywhere in the world.

I would probably estimate only half were actual fatalities, the rest just found a better place to be.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:43 PM

I agree. I said it was stupid only when compared to other casualties. For my part, I kept that causalty level for Poland. I simply raised the other ones. However, it's only an opinion and I agree that I have been a bit harsh in the way I said it but I was not entirely serious.

However, I don't always intend to be realistic. If I was I would quit playing that game.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:49 PM

Like you say, it's just a game.

As for great jobs, well grave diggers would have to be in high demand, although with all the disease and so forth sweeping through the world, their careers might be short.

Removalists in the early part of the war might also see a boom in demand while building tradesmen would definately be in short supply as fallout shelters, etc were constructed.

Come to think of it, those same tradesmen might have an advantage over everyone else once the bombs did drop - they'd know which backyards had stockpiles of hidden supplies.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:56 PM

Electrical Plant operaters would be high on my list of people to find alive.