RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Morrow Project/ Project Phoenix Forum

Old 08-17-2022, 02:20 PM

Default Thermobaric explosives and rotary wing aircraft

Just to prepare for a possible encounter outcome for my group, has anyone seen scholarly articles or other data on the use of thermobaric warheads against rotary wing aircraft? Is the sudden change of air pressure fast enough or strong enough to make an impact on the flight characteristics? As an example, if one goes off in proximity of a hovering aircraft, does it lose enough lift to cause a potential problem. I am going to assume the airframe would take shock similar to other vehicles.

Last edited by mmartin798; 08-17-2022 at 08:40 PM.
Old 08-19-2022, 01:07 AM

I'm not sure of the use case here. A rotary wing aircraft flying through a thermobaric explosion would be badly destabilized, but would not inherently lose control unless the blast is close enough and long enough to change the pressure under only one side of the aircraft. If they are moving, this is unlikely and if they are not... there are easier ways to take it out.
Old 08-19-2022, 04:19 AM

It's an edge case. My players currently have access to air assets and the group they are coming into contact with has some air fuel ordinance that might be employed. I just wanted to have my bases covered.
Old 08-19-2022, 10:50 AM

Unless they try to land on it they should be fine - I'm not aware of any existing anti-air weapons using thermobaric explosives and I can't imagine how someone could make one that would be effective. It's like trying to filet a fish with an axe.
Old 08-20-2022, 08:08 AM

I'm with you there. I can see a case where you might be able to cause a jet engine to flameout from a well placed shockwave, but that would be a very lucky shot and not applicable in my situation.
Old 09-13-2022, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmartin798 View Post
I'm with you there. I can see a case where you might be able to cause a jet engine to flameout from a well placed shockwave, but that would be a very lucky shot and not applicable in my situation.
FAE's consume all the oxygen in the surrounding area, so it would be entirely possible that jet engines would flame out because they lost their O2,... also the instability and partial vacuum they would create would possibly cause issues.
Crew would be seriously affected if they were in the blast area. Concussion damage possible rupture of internal organs, and the risk of having the air sucked out of their lungs and them imploding. Thermos are no joke,, the poor mans nuke.