RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 08-20-2018, 05:12 PM

Default GMing a city defense

So after a few well placed catastrophic failures, the PCs and the city they reside in find themselves under imminent attack by the local warlord in the Texas area. He controls the region and subjugates the surrounding towns. The PCs defied him in not giving what he wanted and failed miserably to smooth things over angering the militia who is now going to make an example that this is what happens when you defy him.

How should I conduct this fight? Use D&D thinking meaning think big play small? only conduct PC combat and their tasks and depending on their successes or failures influences the overall defense? Some ideas would be most welcome
Old 08-20-2018, 07:40 PM

You will need to "focus in" on the group the way a TV show focuses in on the actions of the lead characters. You need to focus the action on the players to keep them invested in the game. If their fight is going badly, you can have townspeople show up to help them. If it is too easy, have a messenger come running up and yell "They've broken the defenses at [insert location here]!" The players will now have to "hustle over" to that location for round TWO. Only GENERALLY describe to the players what is going on in other parts of the town. This will allow you to "modify" the initial plot [of events] based on the Character's own success. Never "paint yourself into a corner" through too detailed a narrative about events that the Characters would only have the barest details of in reality.

Start with a RECON mission or Skirmish attack on the advancing Militia group. You want the players to understand that this group should NOT be allowed within "attack range" of the town unharrassed. It will also be important to know who is where with regards to Heavy Weapons or AFVs in order to set the town's defenses up properly.

The players could also be put in charge of "improving" the town's defenses. Have the player with Engineering Skill roll to direct the townspeople to construct those defenses properly. Failure indicates either an incomplete defense OR a hidden weakness that was unprepared for (such as an open drain or hole in an exterior defense that can be exploited.

The Recon Team could "call fire" from mortars or other artillery or mine bridges on the Militia's route to buy the Construction Team time to fortify the town. Make sure the Team has an "Alamo" or RP to retreat to. An escape route would be wise as well.

Some questions must be asked and answered in order to give yourself the best planning options. Those are:

-How many Militia are attacking and How experienced are they? Experienced units will thoroughly Recon the Town and NOT launch a DIRECT attack WITHOUT artillery support and MORE THAN a two to one superiority in numbers. They may try an Infiltration Raid with a Diversion if they have a two to one advantage. Most units will break off the attack once they have lost 25% to 30% of their forces. They will regroup and a Leadership (morale) check may be needed to continue. If they withdraw, the battle will go to the players but the WAR may continue as the Militia regroups and replenishes their strength. A counter attack may be in order to destroy the Militia's unit cohesion.

-How far must they travel? More than 20km and Fatigue becomes an issue for MARCHING units. This may mean camping near the town before launching the attack. A good idea for Skirmish troops would be to attack or mortar the encampment.

-How much "Heavy Equipment" does the Militia have? This may limit the Militia's routes of advance due to terrain or bridge weight limits. These are prime areas to defend with a "Defense in Depth" or to mine/destroy to deny their use to the Militia.

Make the PLAYERS work for their victory by giving YOU DETAILED plans for the defense. Don't do all the work yourself.

Last edited by swaghauler; 08-20-2018 at 07:42 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-20-2018, 09:06 PM

Wow some great suggestions thank you! The players have not yet taken a toll of the available force to them but they will have around 90-103 men available for defense (possible to rally neighboring settlements if the PCs can pull it off) they are outnumbered and outgunned easily. The attacking militia will be attacking with a force of over 250-30 men, has two M198 Howitzer batteries, plus civilian vehicles with MGs mounted. They have some AT weapons though limited and have enough ammo for a sustained siege.

The players have limited equipment in town as the town has been under constant tyranny from the warlord and he takes all their shit lol. But they will have 1 81mm mortar plus some MGs and heavy rockets and whatever equipment the PCs have. Also a Bradley.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:10 PM

You could use the large scale combat rules from Ruins of Warsaw, or perhaps Last Battle (which was actually intended to not only be a stand alone game, but used for larger T2k combats).
Look to Return to Warsaw for guidelines on converting to Last Battle.

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem

Last edited by Legbreaker; 08-21-2018 at 12:00 AM.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:30 PM

I'll take a look at them thanks!
Old 08-21-2018, 10:37 AM

Wait...two *batteries*? That's what, 8-12 guns, depending on which TOE you're going by and if they're full strength.

Probably the best hope that town has for survival, maybe the *only* hope, is to neutralize those guns quickly, with extreme prejudice. You say the baddies have the ammo for a protracted seige, I'm going to assume that means they've got a good supply of feed for that arty. If those guns don't meet an untimely end, they're going to ensure that everyone in that town has a bad day.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:28 AM

Also TNE's "World Tamer's Handbook" has mass combat.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stg58fal View Post
Wait...two *batteries*? That's what, 8-12 guns, depending on which TOE you're going by and if they're full strength.

Probably the best hope that town has for survival, maybe the *only* hope, is to neutralize those guns quickly, with extreme prejudice. You say the baddies have the ammo for a protracted seige, I'm going to assume that means they've got a good supply of feed for that arty. If those guns don't meet an untimely end, they're going to ensure that everyone in that town has a bad day.
Oops I meant two guns lol.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guncrazy View Post
Oops I meant two guns lol.
They must STILL die. I served on M114 "Hogs" and the M198s with the 10th Mountain. The M198 is capable of ACCURATELY delivering a 155mm HE shell out to 18km (the CEP is around 40 meters which is smaller than an HE's burst radius). They can set up a good distance from your town and rain destruction down upon the Characters from afar. A SINGLE 155mm HE round will COMPLETELY DEMOLISH a typical US stick-built single family home. NOTHING destroys your moral like watching your house disintegrate into a cloud of dust and falling debris.

On a better note, The M198 and 5-Ton "prime mover" CANNOT drive over the typical 10-Ton bridge found on most US secondary roads (they'll collapse). This may limit the Militia's approach routes.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaghauler View Post
They must STILL die. I served on M114 "Hogs" and the M198s with the 10th Mountain. The M198 is capable of ACCURATELY delivering a 155mm HE shell out to 18km (the CEP is around 40 meters which is smaller than an HE's burst radius). They can set up a good distance from your town and rain destruction down upon the Characters from afar. A SINGLE 155mm HE round will COMPLETELY DEMOLISH a typical US stick-built single family home. NOTHING destroys your moral like watching your house disintegrate into a cloud of dust and falling debris.

On a better note, The M198 and 5-Ton "prime mover" CANNOT drive over the typical 10-Ton bridge found on most US secondary roads (they'll collapse). This may limit the Militia's approach routes.
Yes, the odds are most certainly not in the PCs favor and they as characters (and players) are aware. Consequences of lying to the face of the warlord lol. Though this is my first GM attempt at T2K, I'd like to make the defense winnable but it will be a challenge. Big rewards of the PCs succeed.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Yes, the odds are most certainly not in the PCs favor and they as characters (and players) are aware. Consequences of lying to the face of the warlord lol. Though this is my first GM attempt at T2K, I'd like to make the defense winnable but it will be a challenge. Big rewards of the PCs succeed.
I might humbly suggest sapper and sniper teams to harass the militia. Expending remaining fuel to create molotovs may help. Replacing the fuel can be an adventure hook later.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:22 PM

Yes I suspect the PCs will be doing that so I planned ahead for it.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:47 PM
Ephemera of the Big Ka-Boom

Wink

(Mostly) fake minefields, with enough real ones and lots of booby-trapped fakes to slow them down.
If you have a good idea about the way the Warlord's forces would be coming, set up some tempting almost-hidden caches along their line of approach with whiskey laced with antihistamines, which will have them falling asleep on their feet or behind the wheel. If you're feeling evil, rig up some Gatorade bottles with antifreeze--their livers will thank you for it.
Otherwise, scorched earth
Contaminate water sources--wells, reservoirs, apparently sealed bottled water--with some easily-obtained E. coli bacteria (I'm sure you can figure that one out).
Stealth raid to steal or damage the breech blocks of the artillery. And the good old tried and true "sugar in the gas tank" trick.
If they reach the town, make sure they will be channeled into dead-ends and crossfires,with rat-holes allowing the defenders to shoot, scoot, and shoot again.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:16 AM
The Stat Guy

Just a note -- MOUT is regarded as an infantryman's nightmare, and with good reason. Every window, every crack, every corner, every car, every everything could have a gun or grenade behind it, and everything could be rigged to explode. You're constantly on edge, because an attack could come from anywhere. And it cuts both ways.

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 08-22-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b View Post
And it cuts both ways.
Worth noting that any little trick or makeshift weapon system the PCs/defenders come up with, the militia could also be using.
Drainpipe mortars, chlorine gas, jam tin grenades, trench catapults, etc. The only limit is imagination.

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Old 08-22-2018, 10:37 AM

The game commenced last night (Tuesdays are game night) So far the battle has started off poorly for our struggling PCs. After some time preparing and talking amongst themselves about defense prep they get underway and fast forward to the action. The siege begins with M198's shelling the town killing 10 men and giving one of the PCs a wake up call lol. Due to a great observation roll on the outskirts one player spots their F.O in the distance (we are in Texas/NM so desert terrain. The 81mm mortar is ordered to fire on that position. The player rolls for the mortar team and rolls a 20, catastrophic failure! being the nice GM I am I let him roll again to avoid a true nightmare scenario, the player rolls another 20. The round cooks off in the tube killing the crew and all remaining round for the one mortar. Only 1 81mm remains in the city. Round 2 sees the second mortar roll a 1 on its roll and hits the F.O position silencing the militias Howitzers, at least for the time being. Trucks can be seen and heard approaching the city as the shaken but determined defense prepares for urban combat....Thats where it stands now, next round will be actual initiative and combat commences.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
The game commenced last night (Tuesdays are game night) So far the battle has started off poorly for our struggling PCs. After some time preparing and talking amongst themselves about defense prep they get underway and fast forward to the action. The siege begins with M198's shelling the town killing 10 men and giving one of the PCs a wake up call lol. Due to a great observation roll on the outskirts one player spots their F.O in the distance (we are in Texas/NM so desert terrain. The 81mm mortar is ordered to fire on that position. The player rolls for the mortar team and rolls a 20, catastrophic failure! being the nice GM I am I let him roll again to avoid a true nightmare scenario, the player rolls another 20. The round cooks off in the tube killing the crew and all remaining round for the one mortar. Only 1 81mm remains in the city. Round 2 sees the second mortar roll a 1 on its roll and hits the F.O position silencing the militias Howitzers, at least for the time being. Trucks can be seen and heard approaching the city as the shaken but determined defense prepares for urban combat....Thats where it stands now, next round will be actual initiative and combat commences.
Dang! Sounds like they needed a team outside to harass the howitzer crews.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .45cultist View Post
Yeah I think they are finally gettign that point lol. But now that the first wave is coming they will have to deal with street to street combat first. Their first combat ever, pretty excited for it. Its amazing how some timely placed terrible rolls add to the roleplay lol.
Old 08-23-2018, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Yeah I think they are finally gettign that point lol. But now that the first wave is coming they will have to deal with street to street combat first. Their first combat ever, pretty excited for it. Its amazing how some timely placed terrible rolls add to the roleplay lol.
I did the improvised flame weapons for Dark Conspiracy since they involve fuel. Every thing from the Eagle Cocktail to flame barrels using the Engineer manual and the flame thrower rules. I statted out the flame initiator and everything. Also statted the M10 destructor for converting ordnance to explosive charges there too.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:57 AM

Here is a fast T2K conversion:Flame Ops.pdf
Old 08-23-2018, 12:08 PM

Thanks for these, they will definitely come in handy!
Old 08-23-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Thanks for these, they will definitely come in handy!
Sure, adjust the fuel costs from DC to T2K prices.
Old 08-24-2018, 12:24 PM

So, how did the massacre go? Or did Minas Tirith resist the orc army?
Old 08-24-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallShadow View Post
So, how did the massacre go? Or did Minas Tirith resist the orc army?
Its currently underway. We play on Tuesdays we ended the night just before close combat began since they are new I'd rather have more time to take it slower so they understand it. Just hope we get to it before the beer flows.
Old 08-26-2018, 12:24 AM

Quote:
<snip>Just hope we get to it before the beer flows.
But that's when the most cinematic actions are inspired--In Vino Virtus! (Or would that be "In cervisia temeritas"?)
Old 08-26-2018, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallShadow View Post
But that's when the most cinematic actions are inspired--In Vino Virtus! (Or would that be "In cervisia temeritas"?)
Yes Very true lol. Im working everything out now.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .45cultist View Post
THIS!
Old 08-26-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
I'm sure the fun isn't over yet. Those Militia probably have 3 or 4 FOs. This means that the first FO team could have "marked" (ranged and determined the grid coordinated of) EVERY important roadway/terrain feature, weapon's bunker, commo antenna, and AFV in the town. The M198s will then begin to fire on every strategically important object until they reduce it to rubble. It takes about 10 seconds to load during sustained fire and the HE shell's flight speed is about 800m per second. If they are 10km out, this will equate to a shell landing every 20 to 30 seconds (4 to 6 rounds) as long as the ammo holds out. Danger Close for artillery is around 1000m so not targets within 1km of the Militia will be targeted.

On the bright side, your players could be considered to have "Registered" (ie pre-ranged) all of the important terrain features and objectives. This will make your mortar fire ONE LEVEL EASIER and you may have "Short Orders" set up for these locations.

A "Short Order" is a single word designator like "location Lima Two" or "hill 123" that allow you to direct fire onto a location with just a single 5-second combat round of communication. "Registration" can also be done with crew-served machineguns (the tripod can record azimuth of fire and elevation needed) and AT weapons.
Old 08-26-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaghauler View Post
I'm sure the fun isn't over yet. Those Militia probably have 3 or 4 FOs. This means that the first FO team could have "marked" (ranged and determined the grid coordinated of) EVERY important roadway/terrain feature, weapon's bunker, commo antenna, and AFV in the town. The M198s will then begin to fire on every strategically important object until they reduce it to rubble. It takes about 10 seconds to load during sustained fire and the HE shell's flight speed is about 800m per second. If they are 10km out, this will equate to a shell landing every 20 to 30 seconds (4 to 6 rounds) as long as the ammo holds out. Danger Close for artillery is around 1000m so not targets within 1km of the Militia will be targeted.

On the bright side, your players could be considered to have "Registered" (ie pre-ranged) all of the important terrain features and objectives. This will make your mortar fire ONE LEVEL EASIER and you may have "Short Orders" set up for these locations.

A "Short Order" is a single word designator like "location Lima Two" or "hill 123" that allow you to direct fire onto a location with just a single 5-second combat round of communication. "Registration" can also be done with crew-served machineguns (the tripod can record azimuth of fire and elevation needed) and AT weapons.
Yes the M198's are 5km out and the PCs (or at least one of them) did scout outside of town and "prep" likely routes as well, AT mines have been placed at strategic locations, and they were made with an outstanding success roll (the few they have made). I was going to make a roll to see if the Milita's vehicle convoy does indeed roll over the mines (they likely will with a roll of a 1 by the PC)

As for multiple FOs there are certainly more out there, however I have to ease the players in since they are not familiar with modern day realistic military tactics and doctrines. So I will be cutting some slack in some areas. After all it should be fun first and foremost. Its also another reason why the players chose to a more "Postman/Jericho" style campaign, though 2 of the characters are military. One Force Recon marine with sniper terms, One Doctor with med school ( I guess he wanted to be the "cleric") and the other is a civilan construction worker, criminal, and former prison imnate who was drafted as a deal to get out of prison.

I was going with Artillery reigning down every 4 turns until either taken out or the FOs are taken out. They would have had a working Tank Breaker but they failed their gunsmithing check to fix it. And now the city is down to only a single 81mm mortar for infantry support. The Militia really wants Mr Jackson (The NPC who has PHDs in metallurgy and Civil Engineering) I figure in such dire times educated people would be worth their weight in gold and extreme measure would be taken to secure them, willingly or not.
Old 08-26-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Yes the M198's are 5km out and the PCs (or at least one of them) did scout outside of town and "prep" likely routes as well, AT mines have been placed at strategic locations, and they were made with an outstanding success roll (the few they have made). I was going to make a roll to see if the Milita's vehicle convoy does indeed roll over the mines (they likely will with a roll of a 1 by the PC)

As for multiple FOs there are certainly more out there, however I have to ease the players in since they are not familiar with modern day realistic military tactics and doctrines. So I will be cutting some slack in some areas. After all it should be fun first and foremost. Its also another reason why the players chose to a more "Postman/Jericho" style campaign, though 2 of the characters are military. One Force Recon marine with sniper terms, One Doctor with med school ( I guess he wanted to be the "cleric") and the other is a civilan construction worker, criminal, and former prison imnate who was drafted as a deal to get out of prison.

I was going with Artillery reigning down every 4 turns until either taken out or the FOs are taken out. They would have had a working Tank Breaker but they failed their gunsmithing check to fix it. And now the city is down to only a single 81mm mortar for infantry support. The Militia really wants Mr Jackson (The NPC who has PHDs in metallurgy and Civil Engineering) I figure in such dire times educated people would be worth their weight in gold and extreme measure would be taken to secure them, willingly or not.
If the guns are that close (need a reason? commo range of hand helds), I'd be engaging in an "Artillery Duel" with them using the 81mm. The PCs could get lucky. This WILL have an adverse effect on the Militia's morale too. The PCs just need to close the 1km gap and achieve a good (covered) firing position.