RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2012, 01:08 PM

Default War Day revisited - OT

I can't remember what trigged it but I recently got an urge to re-read the novel "War Day". I couldn't find my copy so I picked one up at my favorite used book store. Its been 20 years at least since I read it. Here are just some random thoughts I had in case anyone wanted to discuss the book or post-apoc situation in general.

1. Of course its a little bit dated now; the idea of a nuclear confrontation with Russia is very remote. In terms of when this was written however, I like that the author doesn't portray the USA as totally innocent. We learn the Soviets strike out of fear of an American capability to stop any attack.

2. This was my first experience with the concept of deflation. When I read this book at a kid I thought, wow thats so cool you can buy lunch for a dime. Of course at the time I didn't understand how damaging such deflation can really be. I only thought hey anyone with a big piggy bank can now live like a king. I didn't understand that it also meant most people wouldnt have a job.

3. There is moment in the book where we meet a Canadian who is bit of an ass. But in fairness the book points out that Canada suffers greatly as well and not too many Americans even give it a second thought.

4. The role of the Japanese is curious. This is the 80's afterall most fiction at the time has Japan dominating the world. Reality turned out very different; the Japanese were even then and now are in a demographic spiral which they can't escape. Much of there strenght in the 80's nothing more than a temporary bubble.

5. I like how parts of the USA are becoming independent. I might not agree with the how or why. I just think its important to understand that if you wreck the USA in terms of economy or politics then nobody should be surprised if something new is born.

6. There was one little scene I found amusing; Japanese soldier were taking pictures with credit card sized cameras. A reasonable assuming in the 80's if you were too project out technology. But in reality cameras now are completely merged with phones; something that I would never have thought of.