RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 10-17-2017, 06:22 AM
Banned

Default Possible PC or console Twilight 2000 game

From Marc Miller on the my Facebook Twilight 2000 group

"I had a discussion with a software developer about a PC (and potentially console) game based on Twilight: 2000."

He told me its still too early to see if it comes to fruition. But thought everyone would love to hear that.

New sourcebooks, new modules and now possibly a PC or console game? Looks like the game is definitely back from the dead games category.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:54 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

I have to admit while it is solely a shooter (rather than a RPG), I get a T2k feel from Players Unknown Battleground (PUBG). Probably because of the heavy DDR/USSR feel to the combat area map.

Given that PUBG is the runaway hit of this year, I could see someone like me in the games industry seeing potential in such a game.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:41 PM
The end is nigh!!!

All depends on what you want from the game. If its a FPS what has to change to make it different from the rest? Will it be a RPG style game? Will it be a survivalist game? To each their own.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:16 PM

A few thoughts to make it different:

* less emphasis on weapon mods

* radiation tracking - but only displayed when you check your Geiger counter

* chemical contamination - NBC suits can be worn but limiting visibility, slowing tasks like reloading, etc

* tracer rounds

* no heads up ammo counter

* NPC allies who can be given simple instructions (probably based around hand signals) - these can be grouped or ordered individually

* more emphasis on single player storey mode than multi player

* maybe the campaign could be based on Going Home with time restraints

* oddly less combat and more story

* early choices have impacts later
Old 10-18-2017, 06:03 AM
Registered Registrant

James it sounds as though, based on your suggestions, the developers should do something along the lines of Metro 2033 & Metro: Last Light and maybe less so the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series of games.
They both have strengths & weaknesses but do feature such things as (Metro) the need to recharge your flashlight via a hand operated generator, the need to change gasmask filters and scarcity of good quality weapons & ammo or (S.T.A.L.K.E.R.) the need to eat and sleep, some wide open environments that let you choose alternate ways to deal with obstacles, finding stashes left by other people and the need for medical items to fix specific problems (e.g. bleeding, serious wounds, radiation).
Old 10-18-2017, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic View Post
James it sounds as though, based on your suggestions, the developers should do something along the lines of Metro 2033 & Metro: Last Light and maybe less so the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series of games.
I would play the hell out of a Metro or S.T.A.L.K.E.R. T2K mod/standalone game.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:41 AM
The end is nigh!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targan View Post
I would play the hell out of a Metro or S.T.A.L.K.E.R. T2K mod/standalone game.
Definitely STALKER/METRO combo would be great. Would you leave it single player or try to get a team together and make it multi-player?
Old 10-18-2017, 02:40 PM

This would of course be the second T2K game.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:25 PM
Banned

I have seen videos of screen shots/play of the old computer game (and boy are the graphics old now but hey I remember when that was state of the art) - did anyone ever play the original?
Old 10-18-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnwolf View Post
Would you leave it single player or try to get a team together and make it multi-player?
I think team-based would be fantastic (co-op campaign style). Perhaps even set up so a small number of human players (or even a single player) could have "NPC" AI characters along with them, with a common char gen system for "PCs" and "NPCs".
Old 10-18-2017, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targan View Post
I think team-based would be fantastic (co-op campaign style). Perhaps even set up so a small number of human players (or even a single player) could have "NPC" AI characters along with them, with a common char gen system for "PCs" and "NPCs".
A tatctical squad based rpg. Fallout tactics style.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:01 PM

Really, there are quite a few Arma mods you could do T2K with. There is/was a really extensive "90s" mod that could work. Of course you'd need the people to populate a server.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draq View Post
A tatctical squad based rpg. Fallout tactics style.
A different flavour of play, but I'd play that too
Old 11-10-2017, 03:00 PM

I always imagined an MP coop style game in either FPS or third person. Limit the game to 8 players and have the players randomly spawn somewhere in a procedurally generated eastern Europe. Make it survival based with some serious, lethal combat mechanics. It would be a blast!
Old 11-10-2017, 05:49 PM
Registered Registrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnwolf View Post
Definitely STALKER/METRO combo would be great. Would you leave it single player or try to get a team together and make it multi-player?
I missed this question due to my typical sporadic visits here but for me, the appeal of getting some like-minded players together for this type of game is very strong. So while I would model the game as single-player achievable, I'd definitely have it open to multi-player co-op along the lines of what Heffe mentioned (although I wouldn't have them spawn too far apart - far enough to be a small challenge to link up but not so far as to make it really difficult and thus less fun/interesting for the players e.g. have them scattered around the outskirts of a town or a battlefield).

There should definitely be some ability to recruit a limited number of NPCs particularly if you have a heavy weapon or vehicle and need crew members (I'm thinking specifically of ARMA with the need to have all crew members present to make a weapon/vehicle fully functional).
I'd certainly choose ARMA as a model for the NPC AI and for the weapon performance - I have good memories of one of the earlier versions, Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising and being the SAW gunner and when the Team Leader spotted one enemy near a thick clump of bushes, I hosed the area down with the M249 and got two enemy we didn't see.
And also of bad guys sneaking up behind the team to ambush us after they had found our vehicle (when we parked up to observe a missile battery that we had to destroy).
Old 11-15-2017, 05:46 PM

>ARMA Co-op T2K flavour

I'd definitely be up for something like that. I'd even spend the time to put together a co-op mission with the Cold War Rearmed mod to get the right feel. We could take a mini-mission from Challenge, a module or fandom and try it out. A group of 6-8, with custom kits and RPG-lite elements in the game. Many T2K elements are already available via DayZ offshoots as add-ons and mods.

I'd recommend ARMA 2, cause it's cheap if you don't have it, and runs better on older hardware if you don't have a state-of-the-art gaming rig. You'd also need a headset in order to play (chat during ARMA sucks).

Any takers? Let's plan it out.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:01 AM

I have ARMA II so might be up for this.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Hunter UK View Post
So do I, with all the official expansions, and luckily I had the presence of mind at the time to enter all the codes into Steam so I can reinstall at any time.

Last time I played I was using a TrackIR setup and joystick and I was getting pretty good at rotary wing piloting.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Hunter UK View Post
Started a new thread
Old 12-02-2017, 02:37 PM

Default ARMA-Fallout Love Child

It would be interesting to see the realism of ARMA mixed with the system used by Skyrim/Fallout. Crafting/upgrading weapons at benches and exchanging ten empty brass for ONE loaded cartridge. This could be interesting.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaghauler View Post
It would be interesting to see the realism of ARMA mixed with the system used by Skyrim/Fallout. Crafting/upgrading weapons at benches and exchanging ten empty brass for ONE loaded cartridge. This could be interesting.
Someone got an ARMA 3 crafting system going
https://epochmod.com/forum/topic/148...-crafting-v33/