RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2009, 03:01 PM

Default Civil nuclear threats

I start this thread for two reasons even if we already had some exchange on that subject: because of the nuclear exchange we have on Australia and because of something I was watching on TV tonight.

What I was watching on TV was something on the civil nuclear waste and their recycling. Out of all this two specific things got my attention:

- Every nuclear facility (wolrdwide) has part or all of its nuclear waste stored in spent fuel pool(s) next to the facility. These have to be constantly monitored (something that would be stopped with the Twilight War) to avoid accidents.

- If the nuclear waste is exposed to air this results in an explosion and in a contamination equals to four time that of Chernobyl (this number comes from an official study made in the US and admited as perfectly accurate in 2005).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spent_fuel_pool

I don't know what you think but if the exchange in T2K remain limited that alone can represent a real threat and a much more important source of devastation. I'm not really thinking about including this in my game but it might be an interesting subject for a relief campaign: A number of surviving nuclear scientists become aware of that threat and they try to gather several teams to evacuate the wastes: the PCs being one of these teams. What do you think?

Just for info in 2008, there are 439 working nuclear power plant in the world. With general neglect that could result in a catastrophe equal to at least 1776 time chernobyl. Good night and sweet dreams.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:00 AM

Default merci

We have Sellafield in the UK just a few hours of a good wind away ..I got masks for the whole family in my cellar.

I guess nuclear power plants ,recycling and disposal facilities would contribute significantly to long term radiation and fallout amounts .

Best not to think of all those radiated specs getting dispersed via rainwater and wind into the clima cycle ..

no escape..
Old 10-16-2009, 06:18 AM
...not exactly open casket material

Send a message via MSN to General Pain
Default hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoender View Post
I start this thread for two reasons even if we already had some exchange on that subject: because of the nuclear exchange we have on Australia and because of something I was watching on TV tonight.

What I was watching on TV was something on the civil nuclear waste and their recycling. Out of all this two specific things got my attention:

- Every nuclear facility (wolrdwide) has part or all of its nuclear waste stored in spent fuel pool(s) next to the facility. These have to be constantly monitored (something that would be stopped with the Twilight War) to avoid accidents.

- If the nuclear waste is exposed to air this results in an explosion and in a contamination equals to four time that of Chernobyl (this number comes from an official study made in the US and admited as perfectly accurate in 2005).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spent_fuel_pool

I don't know what you think but if the exchange in T2K remain limited that alone can represent a real threat and a much more important source of devastation. I'm not really thinking about including this in my game but it might be an interesting subject for a relief campaign: A number of surviving nuclear scientists become aware of that threat and they try to gather several teams to evacuate the wastes: the PCs being one of these teams. What do you think?

Just for info in 2008, there are 439 working nuclear power plant in the world. With general neglect that could result in a catastrophe equal to at least 1776 time chernobyl. Good night and sweet dreams.
and how many are working properly and safe...as HQ sais....prolly no escape