RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 09-10-2008, 03:55 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default Fobs

pmulcahy 07-22-2008, 06:06 PM I remember when I was growing up (especially in my teens) reading and hearing on science programs on TV about FOBS satellites (Fractional Orbital Bombardment System). Sort of like on the movie Meteor -- except instead of full-sized missiles, just a cluster of MIRV warheads, each with a small engine for maneuvering and deorbiting. Anybody thought of whether FOBS systems would have taken part in the Twilight War? (For all we know, they're up there now...)

Nowhere Man 1966 07-22-2008, 10:12 PM I remember when I was growing up (especially in my teens) reading and hearing on science programs on TV about FOBS satellites (Fractional Orbital Bombardment System). Sort of like on the movie Meteor -- except instead of full-sized missiles, just a cluster of MIRV warheads, each with a small engine for maneuvering and deorbiting. Anybody thought of whether FOBS systems would have taken part in the Twilight War? (For all we know, they're up there now...)

Well, it depends on the Point of Divergence the Twilight world split from ours. IIRC, aren't there UN treaties that deny the militarization of space for one nation to fight another? I believe FOBS would violate that but as we all know, knowing my cynical self, treaties are made to be broken.

I remember the episode in Star Trek with Gary Seven where he, Kirk and Spock had to stop a missile platdorm from hitting the USSR in 1968, I assume that would be like FOBS. The idea goes back as far as the 1950's, when Sputnik was launched, there were concerns that the Soviets would put something like a FOBS system in orbit at some point.

Chuck M.

Hangfire7 07-23-2008, 01:21 AM That was also the plot to that movie Space Cowboys wasn't it? The evil Ruskies sent up a satelight that turned out to have missiles on it.

And lets not forget China and their satelight killing satelights? That if I recall had the whole world in an uproar for the very reasons you guys have said.

Nowhere Man 1966 07-25-2008, 10:12 AM That was also the plot to that movie Space Cowboys wasn't it? The evil Ruskies sent up a satelight that turned out to have missiles on it.

And lets not forget China and their satelight killing satelights? That if I recall had the whole world in an uproar for the very reasons you guys have said.

Come to think of it, there was a movie called "Earth II" that was made for TV in 1971. That is not to be confused with another movie with the same name that Gene Roddenberry made with Dylan Hunt as the main character. This movie was about a space station that was its own sovereign nation but the Red Chinese sent up a nuclear bomb to threaten it and it rook a combined Soviet/US team to disarm it.

Chuck M.