RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 06-05-2009, 06:25 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default Map of British Nuclear Targets

Ok I have pulled the British Nuclear Targets from the V2.2 Manual.

Aberdeen, Aldershot, Bantry Bay, Barnsley, Bedford, Birmingham, Blackburn, Bolton, Bradford, Bristol, Bury, Cardiff, Coventry, Derby, Dover, Dundee, Edinburgh, Folkestone, Glasgow, Gloucester, Grangemouth, Grimsby, Hereford, Hull, Leeds, Liverpool, London, Luton, Lanchester, Milford Haven, Newport, Nottingham, PortTalbot, Rochdale, Rotherham, Sheffield, Southampton, Stockport, Swansea, Warrington, Wigan, Wolverhampton, Yeovil, York.

I have a question about Bantry Bay. Is there a Bantry Bay in the UK? I have found one in Ireland (Southern) and in South Africa. For now I am leaving it as the Irish one. Am I missing something here?

Last edited by kato13; 06-05-2009 at 06:56 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Link to the map below.

http://games.juhlin.com/files/uk_strike_map.jpg (1200x1520 124 KB)

Last edited by kato13; 06-05-2009 at 07:18 PM.
Old 06-06-2009, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato13
I have a question about Bantry Bay. Is there a Bantry Bay in the UK? I have found one in Ireland (Southern) and in South Africa. For now I am leaving it as the Irish one. Am I missing something here?
There is no place called Bantry Bay listed in my AA atlas of the UK. I'm fairly sure that it's the one in Ireland that GDW were referring to, particulalry since according to Wkikpedia Bantry Bay is the main petroleum terminus for Ireland. I'd say it falls under the category of neutral nations attacked to deny their facilities to the belligerents.

Thanks for creating the map - it's a good resource.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:42 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Six
There is no place called Bantry Bay listed in my AA atlas of the UK. I'm fairly sure that it's the one in Ireland that GDW were referring to, particulalry since according to Wkikpedia Bantry Bay is the main petroleum terminus for Ireland. I'd say it falls under the category of neutral nations attacked to deny their facilities to the belligerents.
Thanks for the confirm on this. I'm guessing that they saw Ireland and just rolled it into the UK.

Quote:
Thanks for creating the map - it's a good resource.
I'm always glad when people find my work useful.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to natehale1971 Send a message via MSN to natehale1971 Send a message via Yahoo to natehale1971

Thank you for this...

I've a couple of questions...

First is, how did you make it? And second was... do you think you'll be making any more for the other countries or even one of the European continent?
Old 06-06-2009, 06:58 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by natehale1971
Thank you for this...

I've a couple of questions...

First is, how did you make it? And second was... do you think you'll be making any more for the other countries or even one of the European continent?
I built the code to make it using google maps and my webserver.

If someone gives me a target list (with warhead size) I can build a map in about an hour I would expect.

Massive numbers of strikes or a huge map might take longer. I am currently working on the math for a MIRV impact as described in the Morrow Project basic rules. Once I complete that I will do a 2802 warhead strike on the US. I don't expect it to be pretty.

Last edited by kato13; 06-06-2009 at 08:22 PM.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:45 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Grimace Send a message via AIM to Grimace Send a message via Yahoo to Grimace

Poor UK. Compare the number of nukes that hit it vs. the number of nukes that hit the entire US. Us Yanks faired far, far better in terms of not being nuked to radioactive rubble compared to the Brits.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace
Poor UK. Compare the number of nukes that hit it vs. the number of nukes that hit the entire US. Us Yanks faired far, far better in terms of not being nuked to radioactive rubble compared to the Brits.
Tell me about it! My house is under one of those big red circles on the map!
Old 06-06-2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Tell me about it! My house is under one of those big red circles on the map!
I sympathise! According to real Russian targets, my house would have gone as well with 20Mt targetted at Belfast for the shipyards and aircraft factory. In canon though all I had to contend with was a sectarian civil war that had reduced my city to rubble....
Old 06-06-2009, 09:33 PM

One of Australia's two biggest fleet bases is just south of my city (also within the same area is the biggest fuel refinery in this part of the world). A nuke target for sure.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:55 PM
Administrator

The 25 nearest canon strikes to my home (and my relation to them)

37.8 km NxNW of Whiting, IN, 1750 Kt
63.4 km NE of Joliet, IL, 1000 Kt
327.8 km WxNW of Lima, OH, 750 Kt
342.1 km W of Toledo, OH, 1750 Kt
363.8 km N of Lawrenceville, IL, 500 Kt
382.8 km W of Windsor, Canada, 1000 Kt
405.8 km NxNE of Wood River, IL, 1500 Kt
426.8 km NxNE of Scott AFB, IL, 500 Kt
444.7 km WxSW of Sarnla, Canada, 1750 Kt
506.8 km S of Sawyer AFB, MI, 500 Kt
586.8 km NW of Catlettsburg, KY, 750 Kt
652.8 km W of Hamilton, Canada, 1000 Kt
657.7 km ExNE of Sugar Creek, MO, 500 Kt
671.1 km ExNE of Kansas City, KS, 500 Kt
699.9 km WxSW of Toronto, Canada, 2000 Kt
694.4 km E of Offutt AFB, NE, 1500 Kt
703.4 km NxNE of Blytheville AFB, AR, 1000 Kt
810.9 km WxSW of North Bay, Canada, 750 Kt
852.0 km WxSW of Trenton, Canada, 750 Kt
835.1 km NW of Fort A. P. Hill, VA, 500 Kt
930.8 km WxSW of Chalk River, Canada, 500 Kt
912.7 km ExNE of Eldorado, KS, 500 Kt
940.5 km NxNW of Dobbins AFB, GA, 500 Kt
959.2 km WxNW of Arlington, VA, 500 Kt
960.6 km WxNW of Quantico, VA, 500 Kt

The results of one of the many tools that will be available when my new mapping project launches. Stay tuned.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:54 PM

Well the UK hit list could have been alot worst.

Plymouth and Portsmouth were not on the list. So the Royal Navy keeps a main repair base and a nuke sub re-fueling base at Plymouth and another major repair base at Portsmouth. Also both have large ammo and fuel depots.

I'm surprised to see none of the USAF's bases in the UK didn't get hit either.
At the time both TW2000 v1&2 came out the US still had large bases at Fairford & Upper Heyford to name just two.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:08 AM

I've always assumed in my campaign that obvious targets that one would expect would be nuked (especially NATO targets) but were not had had nukes fired at them but the weapons had been intercepted by some 'Star Wars' system, malfunctioned because they are crappy Soviet weapons, missed or were taken out or rendered inoperative by some other means such as EMP.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:27 AM

I was born and brought up in Maltby, about six or seven miles from Rotherham, one of the targets listed.

I spend a couple of years in a little village in Lincolnshire, which appears to be far from any targets. Lived in Carlisle for some years (also far from any targets), then moved to Stoke-on-Trent, where I currently live. Still not close to any targets, but closer than I was in Carlisle or Lincolnshire.

Thanks for the map. I'd looked at the list of targets, but didn't quite notice Rotherham was on it until I looked at the map - that took me slightly by surprise

Twilight:2000 Resources
Old 06-29-2009, 12:15 PM

If you look at the strikes on Swansea and Port Talbot, the bit where the two strikes overlap is where I live. At least it would have been quick...
Old 06-30-2009, 02:13 PM
...not exactly open casket material

Send a message via MSN to General Pain
Talking The West Coast in Regards to HQs World

I'd love to se a map of the US west coast if HQ would provide you with the targets and locations...

How are your maps considering dirty bombs by the way ?

Reason fo this question is :

When General Pain fled bombed out LA ; he blew up the Library Tower in downtown LA using a dirty (faulty) Nuke hidden in an Soda dispenser...
This casued the collaps of the General Pain rule in LA....a sad day really...
(non of my so called allies responded to my hails of help)
(but after helping the start of WW5 who could blame them)
Attacking force consisted of former loyal troops led by my own flesh and blood...ahh family......
Old 06-30-2009, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Pain
I'd love to se a map of the US west coast if HQ would provide you with the targets and locations...

How are your maps considering dirty bombs by the way ?

Reason fo this question is :

When General Pain fled bombed out LA ; he blew up the Library Tower in downtown LA using a dirty (faulty) Nuke hidden in an Soda dispenser...
This casued the collaps of the General Pain rule in LA....a sad day really...
(non of my so called allies responded to my hails of help)
(but after helping the start of WW5 who could blame them)
Attacking force consisted of former loyal troops led by my own flesh and blood...ahh family......
Have not really considered dirty bombs.
If you send me the list I will add it to the system. More details in a PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:21 PM

Struggle for Survival
Governing Britain after the Bomb.
by Steve Fox

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/rsg/featur...new_page_1.htm
Old 08-28-2013, 07:14 PM

Sorry for resurrect an old thread, but no RAF Menwith Hill?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Menwith_Hill
Old 08-29-2013, 12:07 AM

My guess on the airbases is that by the time of the strikes most aircraft would have been forward deployed to Germany either as formed squadrons or as replacements.

Alternatively persistent chemicals and or conventional weapons may have been used on them.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:09 AM

In my opinion it's an important site as you can see and not simply a RAF base.

From the Wiki:
Quote:
RAF Menwith Hill is a Royal Air Force station near Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England which provides communications and intelligence support services to the United Kingdom and the United States of America. The site contains an extensive satellite ground station and is a communications intercept and missile warning site and has been described as the largest electronic monitoring station in the world.

RAF Menwith Hill is commanded by a Royal Air Force Officer, supported by an RAF element, whilst the majority of support services are provided by the United States Air Force, 421st Air Base Group.

The site acts as a ground station for a number of satellites operated by the US National Reconnaissance Office, on behalf of the US National Security Agency, with antennae contained in a large number of highly distinctive white radomes, and is alleged to be an element of the ECHELON system.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:30 AM

I'm inclined to agree with James that Menwith Hill might have already been hit by conventional strikes earlier in the war making a nuclear strike unneccessary. That said, there are a number of other locations that are equally likely targets that don't appear on gdw's target list - if you look at the map there's a large gap between York and Glasgow, so the whole of the north east of England hasn't been targeted. That area includes several major sea ports, one major airport and one smaller one, and the Teesside oil refinery, which could process 280,000 barrels a day.

As Ramjam said earlier in the thread none of the Royal Navy's bases have been nuked either and neither was NATO's North Atlantic Maritime HQ which was based in Scotland.

Last edited by Rainbow Six; 08-29-2013 at 06:38 AM.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:36 PM

Bear in mind I am working from memory here:

* wasn't the map in the Survivors Guide to the UK (SGUK) different in the strike list with extra targets?

* nuclear strikes below a certain size are not listed

* not sure if this was canon or discussion but there was an assumption that as command and control and launchers were hit, some targets escaped by accident. In addition as the strikes continued EMP affected later strikes.

* Portsmouth's strike missed and hit the sea (SGUK)
Old 08-30-2013, 01:54 PM

Going from memory here also (will be home on Sunday at which point I'll have access to everything on my home pc including a copy of the SGUK), so not sure about a conflict between different lists. Point about sub 0.5 mt strikes has come up before though and I believe that there are no references to warhead sizes in the SGUK but there are in the v2 BYB (which basically takes what was in the v1 SGUK including incorrectly listing Bantry Bay as being in the UK. Previous discussion was here

http://forum.juhlin.com/showpost.php...5&postcount=87

Reading that post again, it looks like there may well be ambiguities between the two maps in the SGUK, although those may relate more to the island of Ireland than the UK.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:57 PM

OK, back home now. Looking at the two maps in the SGUK I can't see any obvious major discrepancies between the two...the first map (the nuclear strike map) doesn't show any strikes on the entire island of Ireland but does have the disclaimer "Strikes in Eire Not Shown" (I can't be sure what context they are using Eire in - I always thought that Eire referred only to the Republic of Ireland, but I think we had a discussion about this on this board and one of the Irish members said that Eire refers to the entire island).

The second map (the general UK and Ireland map) again states that data for Eire is incomplete and that communities in parentheses were subjected to one or more nuclear attacks. That map shows Belfast and Londonderry as being rubble but not in parentheses, but I think that can be explained by civil disorder and the Southern Irish invasion.

I've read through the entire SGUK and can't see any reference to strikes under 0.5 mt not being shown - it maybe there and I've missed it...(the wording used in the BYB is "the following British Cities were subjected to nuclear attacks of greater than 0.5mt"). A number of places show on the second map as being intact, including Newcastle upon Tyne, Doncaster, Stoke on Trent, Leicester, Portsmouth, and Plymouth. In Ireland Dublin, Cork, Galway, and Limerick are all showing as intact.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:52 PM
Administrator

A quick reminder, my mapping system was built to handle dozens of variations. If anyone wants to put together a different list (perhaps including sub 0.5MT strikes) that can be mapped as well.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:51 PM
Administrator

This discussion is hit almost every day by guest users. It is probably 3rd in terms of hits relative to the number of posts in the thread (After "homemade guns" and "faraday cages").

I think they might be looking for a map of all potential targets from the cold war days and not one from our pretty limited conflict. Has anyone here worked on such a list.

I would try to map it out if someone provides one.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:27 PM

There's a target list for a full scale exchange on this site.

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/rsg/featur...dices.htm#app5

It's pretty comprehensive, although note it does date from the late 1960's and doesn't refer to the specific locations of Regional Government Headquarters (RGHQ's, also known as Regional Seat of Government or RSG), it just says that each one would be a likely target. In the 1980's there were eleven RGHQ's as follows:

Scotland:
RGHQ: Cultybraggan, nr Crieff, Tayside

Alternate RGHQ: Kirknewton, nr Edinburgh, Lothian

NE England:
RGHQ: Shipton, North Yorkshire

Alternate RGHQ: Hexham, Northumberland

East Midlands:
RGHQ: Skendleby, nr Spilsby, Lincolnshire

Alternate RGHQ: Loughborough, Leicestershire

East England:
RGHQ: Bawburgh, nr Norwich, Norfolk

Alternate RGHQ: Bedford, Bedfordshire

Greater London:
RGHQ: Kelvedon Hatch, nr Brentwood, Essex

(No alternate)

SE England
RGHQ: Crowborough, nr Crawley, West Sussex

Alternate RGHQ: Basingstoke, Hampshire

SW England
RGHQ: Chilmark, nr Salisbury, Wiltshire

Alternate RGHQ: Bolt Head, nr Salcombe, Devon

Wales
RGHQ: Wrexham, Clwyd

Alternate RGHQ: Brackla, Mid Glamorgan

West Midlands
RGHQ: Swynnerton, nr Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire

Alternate RGHQ: Lawford Heath, nr Rugby, Warwickshire

NW England
RGHQ: Goosenargh, nr Preston, Lancashire

Alternate RGHQ: Hack Green, nr Crewe, Cheshire

Northern Ireland
RGHQ: Ballymena, County Antrim

(No alternate)

There was also a (supposedly secret and unknown to the Soviets) Central Government bunker at Corsham in Wiltshire.

Looking at the list it looks like virtually every significant Royal Navy and Royal Air Force base is targeted although most major Army bases aren't, so you could probably add Aldershot, Salisbury, and Catterick (at least) to the list as well.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:48 PM
Cthulhu is my pointman

This is taking the piss GDW. They nuke WEST Cork/South Kerry?! Theres nothing there! The only military installations are old British forts and a camp where a few hundred reservists get trained in the summer. Beyond that, sheep farming and a few fishermen. Tsk tsk USSR.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapparee View Post
This is taking the piss GDW. They nuke WEST Cork/South Kerry?! Theres nothing there! The only military installations are old British forts and a camp where a few hundred reservists get trained in the summer. Beyond that, sheep farming and a few fishermen. Tsk tsk USSR.
I think the target was meant to be the oil terminal at Bantry Bay.

Tags
maps, nuclear strikes, united kingdom