RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Morrow Project/ Project Phoenix Forum

Old 11-29-2020, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nduffy View Post
I have heard there are a few wild ones still running around West Texas through New Mexico but I think its just hearsay. I know donkeys run those areas and do quit well. I can see all of these being used in a post apoc world. Caravan animals would be quit worth while.
Actually, feral camel herds are a very real thing. They just are more in the Mojave/Arizona.
Old 11-29-2020, 07:43 PM

I also thought about reindeer, folks up north have been breeding them for meat and fur. they can also be used for pulling sleds and carts. So in the northern parts this could also be a feasible possibility.
Old 12-12-2020, 03:40 PM

Add Capybara to the list. Found a ranch near Hondo TX that has them running wild and breeding on the ranch property... They also have running tanks and a few that are WMD registered so you can fire them...
Old 12-13-2020, 05:09 AM

Default elephants

I have used the descendants of zoo elephants as a wandering group called Mahouts, after the Indian elephant handlers. Also have used a pride of lions, again zoo descendants as an encounter group. One could also have all sorts of former zoo creatures as encounters groups.
Old 12-13-2020, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
I have used the descendants of zoo elephants as a wandering group called Mahouts, after the Indian elephant handlers. Also have used a pride of lions, again zoo descendants as an encounter group. One could also have all sorts of former zoo creatures as encounters groups.
I agree,,really makes for fun play, and unique encounters.. Oh the fun!
Old 12-20-2020, 10:24 AM

Default More critters

I had a couple of thoughts on this tread yesterday, one on Hippos, the other on Elephants. Both being mammals, both would develop more body hair and/or body fat to keep warm (like seals and whales). Both are herbivores, with Hippos finding food on land or in a body of water, most likely a river, and Hippos being ill tempered when encroached upon, have killed humans in Africa. Elephants would mainly be of the Indian species, some maybe of the African species, or a hybrid of both (it has happened before). Perhaps the elephants are mutating more in a Mammoth or a Mastodon species, with cross breeding abilities. Just thoughts.
Old 12-22-2020, 04:32 PM

I could easily see this.. There is an elephant sanctuary in Tennessee that has both African and Indian.. I could easily them cross breeding at some point. Also Hippos in the warmer climates like Florida, Louisiana, and even Texas, New Rio Grande Border Guards... Its actually pretty amazing how quickly they adapt to environments. I can also see a scenario in which mammoth DNA was injected into a viable egg and behold! The rebirth of the mammoth.. the Russians have been dabbling with this idea and genetic recovery of mammoths for years... I can easily see them being breed and domesticated, even thriving because of a lack of predators capable of taking one down...
Old 12-25-2020, 05:38 PM

I read today there is a population of approx 37,000 Nilgai in the state of Texas that are currently running wild... Now that is being somewhat kept in check by hunters and invasive species management. Imagine them going unchecked.
Nutria (aka swamp rats) also seem to be growing in numbers, they are good for their fur and now their meat... Cajun cooking? Swamp Rat Gumbo anyone?
I was in Victoria TX once years ago and had swamp rat tacos at a Vietnamese hole in the wall.. Actually not bad...
Old 02-04-2021, 07:13 PM

Default Nilgai

The population of Nilgai in Texas is over 30,000 strong and doing quite well.. Its become a great game animal and pest and responsible for a few diseases that spread to cattle and deer.... imagine them left unchecked...