RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Archive
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2010, 11:33 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default Grenade Launchers on Rifles

kcdusk 10-29-2005, 03:32 PM I know about the M16/M203 combo, and the M4/M203 pair, and the russians have there AK47/HK69.

My question is, will the M203 go on just any rifle or will it only fit the M4 + M16?

ANd i guess more generally, will any GL fit on any rifle? Ie a M4/HK69 setup?

ReHerakhte 10-29-2005, 08:16 PM In earlier decades, the few rifle-mounted GLs in service were pretty much designed for a specific rifle e.g.

40mm XM148 (the first under-barrel design trialed by the US) and M16

40mm M203 and M16

35mm BG-15 and AK74

Later designs were a little bit more flexible such as the H&K HK69 which could mount to most of the H&K G3 and HK33 series rifles.

With the introduction of the M203PI, a mounting rail is fitted to the weapon and the GL attaches to the rail rather than directly to the rifle (as in earlier designs). This also means the GL can be removed when necessary or, when fitted with a stock, used as a seperate weapon. The M203PI has been demonstrated fitted to M16, M4, AKM, FN FAL, H&K G3, Steyr AUG and others.

Without checking some books I can't think of much more but basically, depending on the specific design, some grenade launchers can fit a variety of rifles and if you want to get really Rambo, even to some smaller weapons (the M203 fitted to an MP5 in the "Arnie" movie 'End Of Days' comes to mind).

Cheers,

Kevin