RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > 2300AD Forum

Old 08-06-2009, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default Non canon forum

Natehale1971 has asked me to create a sub forum for his universe. From what I have gathered within the 2300AD world there has been a desire to keep canon and non-canon information separate. Since there is both a canon and a non-canon forum on yahoo I decided to honor his request.

If anyone wants another sub forum for their universe or a generic non-canon one just let me know.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:07 AM

I'm creating a thread in which I'm going to attach a document containing the beginnings for uplifted animal characters for MajorPo's proposed campaign. As it is non-canon material perhaps it would be better placed in a generic non-canon forum. Then again it doesn't contradict anything in T2300 canon. Up to you Kato, I trust your judgement.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

That is clearly an optional bolt on type thing which does not undermine canon so it is cool with me.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:23 PM

My non-canonical setting bolts colonial space onto Cyberpunk 2020. I have a stronger role for megacorporations, and I don't use stutter-warp. This is not because I don't find it scientifically attractive, it's just too hard to implement. Instead I use a Battletech-style Jump Ship and Landers. The actual jump may take weeks, and its unpredictability is what gives those at the end of the jump their autonomy - higher ups don't know when their orders will get there and in what order.

Landers can have actual space combat, and I like the Cyberpunk 2020 Deep Space combat system.
Old 08-15-2009, 05:36 AM

I like to use settings from Cyberpunk 2020, Transhuman Space and even Space 1889 in my version of 2300AD.

I've always found that canon 2300AD overlooked colonisation of the Solar System, and lacks any detailed information about the other planets and orbital activity with the exception of the Beanstalk and the L-5 colony, and some references to a few small outposts on Luna, Mars and Mercury. 2020 and Transhuman Space have a great deal of information about the other planets, orbital colonies, and helium mining which can be easily fused with 2300AD.
Old 08-15-2009, 05:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to natehale1971 Send a message via MSN to natehale1971 Send a message via Yahoo to natehale1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by RN7 View Post
I like to use settings from Cyberpunk 2020, Transhuman Space and even Space 1889 in my version of 2300AD.

I've always found that canon 2300AD overlooked colonisation of the Solar System, and lacks any detailed information about the other planets and orbital activity with the exception of the Beanstalk and the L-5 colony, and some references to a few small outposts on Luna, Mars and Mercury. 2020 and Transhuman Space have a great deal of information about the other planets, orbital colonies, and helium mining which can be easily fused with 2300AD.
In my 2300ad the Sol System is one of the heaviest colonized areas in all of Human explored space, and it's part of the 'Teir system' that is used to classify just how powerful a country is... it's why there is a MAJOR difference in the planetary, stellar and interstellar powers in the game.

you have alot of countries still 'bound' to the Earth since they don't have their own ability to go into space. then you have the stellar powers, countries who have colonial assets only in the Sol system. the minor interstellar powers have only a few extra-solar colonial assets, while the major interstellar powers have more colonial pocessions. of course my campaign has alot more colonies located on the various planets (Neubayern and Dunkelheim both for example have three or more German colonies each). And there are worlds that have been surveyed for colonization that have the prelim settlement facilities that are used to give 'springboards' for future colonization.

i've been working on nomenclature for the various stages of colonization, but stillhaven't come up with a good name for the prelim stage that comes between survey and actual colonization.
Fuck being a hero. Do you know what you get for being a hero? Nothing! You get shot at. You get a little pat on the back, blah blah blah, attaboy! You get divorced... Your wife can't remember your last name, your kids don't want to talk to you... You get to eat a lot of meals by yourself. Trust me kid, nobody wants to be that guy. I do this because there is nobody else to do it right now. Believe me if there was somebody else to do it, I would let them do it. There's not, so I'm doing it.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RN7 View Post
Space:1889 is another of my favorite GDW RPG's. I have to ask: what parts did you use for 2300AD?

On the S:1889 yahoogroups a few years back, some number-cruncher revealed that the intra-system speeds for 2300's stutterwarp drive and 1889's ether propellers were eerily similar. I have *grand* plans for an 1889 group someday, that might venture beyond the 0.0001g line....

"Kafers, colour sergeant, millions of them!"
Old 08-16-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Space:1889 is another of my favorite GDW RPG's. I have to ask: what parts did you use for 2300AD?
Hi Adm. Lee, I've used a few things from Space 1889.

I've used the colonies on Mars and Venus in the 2300AD setting. I've used all the British, French, German, Russian, Italian, American, Japanese and Belgian colonies on Mars and Venus, and names like Syrtis Major, Ideaus Fons and Unebi Station sound great. Although I have downgraded these colonies to either research/military outposts or mining bases on both planets.

I also like using the ether/aerial fleets and add them to wider 2300AD naval balance. I use ether battleships (cruisers) and aerial fortresses (destroyers)and aerial cruisers (frigates) as stutterwarp capable warships, while the aerial gun boats and smaller zeppelins become sub-light system defence boats or corvettes. The addition of some Italian, Russian, Spanish and Turkish naval forces adds to the general flavour of my 2300AD setting and expands a bit from the usual big American and European Fleets. I've also changed the Austro-Hungarian Zep fleet to Freihaven (on Alpha Centauri) and the Belgian fleet is divided up between the French and Dutch. I also use non-canon Space 1889 material and incorporated into my 2300AD setting.

http://mateengreenway.com/steampunk/Space1889France.htm
http://www.sfsfw.org/a/system.php#s89

I'm also using some of the offworld military orbats found in "Soldier’s Companion" and directly transferring it to 2300AD, although I may base some forces outside of the Solar System or back on Earth and may also change the size of the units as having dozens of infantry regiments in an outpost on airless Mars for example doesn't realy make sense, and I'm also changing horse cavalry regiments to armoured or armoured-cavalry units.