RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2015, 09:05 PM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by .45cultist View Post
Plus MRE's are not survival rations, they're combat rations. That reminds me to look at the Mtn House weights. At Yokota AB, a case of Bud helped when dealing with the JN's more than correct paper work.
LOL, I cleared CIF at Taegu, ROK with two cartons of Marlboro Reds......

Missing items, dirt, unserviceable... all together unsat.

Korean Civilian takes one look, no, no, no. Lifts the waterproof bag. Two carton, stops. Hand carries my paperwork to the other end. Korean there stamps it and signs off..... out the door I went.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:51 PM
The Stat Guy

At Ft Bragg, they unsatted my rucksack. My sergeant said, "Don't clean it, don't wash it, just throw it in your locker and forget about." Two days later, I turned it in and it passed.

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 05-16-2015, 01:45 PM
Ephemera of the Big Ka-Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySGT. View Post
LOL, I cleared CIF at Taegu, ROK with two cartons of Marlboro Reds......

Missing items, dirt, unserviceable... all together unsat.

Korean Civilian takes one look, no, no, no. Lifts the waterproof bag. Two carton, stops. Hand carries my paperwork to the other end. Korean there stamps it and signs off..... out the door I went.
Back in the 70s as my wife tells it, Salems or other menthol cigarettes got you through customs in Egypt pretty easily.
<Customs Agent> Miss, you are only allowed to bring in one carton of cigarettes.
<Wife, in her young innocent college age woman mode> Oh, dear, I _really_ didn't know. I wasn't trying to break the rules. Here: you'll take care of the overage, won't you? ("wide-eyed face of a cherub" engaged).
<Agent> Of course, miss. (goes no further with examination of luggage, puts on appropriate tags and stickers). You may go on.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:48 PM
The Stat Guy

[QUOTE=WallShadow;64790]Back in the 70s as my wife tells it, Salems or other menthol cigarettes got you through customs in Egypt pretty easily.
In Korea, if you went to the PX at Camp Casey and got a bottle of Johnnie Walker Black Label, you could get just about anything out of the Koreans -- from a special wash job on your TA-50 that would pass any inspection (including CIF) to deep discounts on brand-name electronics (including having them brought to your hooch so you didn't have to use your ration card). We used to bring a few bottles to the field and got all kinds of stuff on the local economy.

The locals could resell them for a fortune. I brought two bottles to a certain shop downrange and got a complete set of TA-50 plus other kit, and from that point on, I just put the stuff CIF issued me in a duffel bag and never used it.

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 05-16-2015, 06:16 PM
Registered Registrant

You know, it would probably be worthwhile compiling a list of typical packaged food weights from the various countries involved.
I'm thinking of this for the benefits of comparison as much as for the game mechanics so for example, what would be the typical size/weight of a tin of soup from the Canada, Germany, Poland, the UK, the USA, the USSR/Russia?
If they're exactly the same then great but if there is any difference in sizes, we can use that as another (no pun intended) flavour element for the game.

But I'm also thinking of the extra details like this, as far as I am aware, while you can buy cartons of beer in cans in Poland, in Germany they typically sell it in bottle in crates of 20.
The only problem I can see for this idea is whether the sizes/weights have remained constant from the 1990s to now or if there were different "typically" sizes/weights.

And for what it's worth, according to a friend who spent some time in Poland teaching English, the tobacco in Polish brand cigarettes (like many other Eastern European brands apparently) is rough at best and downright harsh at worst!
Old 05-16-2015, 08:09 PM

Gents these stories are awesome! Please keep them coming as details like these are what separates an average game from an unforgettable game!
Old 05-16-2015, 08:56 PM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallShadow View Post
Back in the 70s as my wife tells it, Salems or other menthol cigarettes got you through customs in Egypt pretty easily.
In Korea, if you went to the PX at Camp Casey and got a bottle of Johnnie Walker Black Label, you could get just about anything out of the Koreans -- from a special wash job on your TA-50 that would pass any inspection (including CIF) to deep discounts on brand-name electronics (including having them brought to your hooch so you didn't have to use your ration card). We used to bring a few bottles to the field and got all kinds of stuff on the local economy.

The locals could resell them for a fortune. I brought two bottles to a certain shop downrange and got a complete set of TA-50 plus other kit, and from that point on, I just put the stuff CIF issued me in a duffel bag and never used it.
I bought a taxi ride from Camp Carrol (Waegwan) to Camp Henry (Taegu) with the magnum bottle of Jack Daniels. I missed the train getting some round eye and had to get back before curfew.... $300.00 taxi ride for less than twenty.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:09 PM
Internet Intellectual

http://reprorations.com/ unfortunately suspending operations for a few months.

http://www.dererstezug.com/German_Ra..._the_Front.htm

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us
Old 05-20-2015, 05:28 PM

I remember Marlboros (Red, boxed) and Levi's 501 Blue Jeans being the currency of choice during the Reforger exercises in Germany. I wonder if those "Bratwagons" would show up on the firing point during a real battle. I wouldn't put it past those German food vendors.

I've already posted how little bottles of booze, candy bars, disposable Bic lighters, and a cheap Casio watch allowed me and my charges to pass through a couple of roadbocks in Nigeria. I still get a chill down my spine thinking about it.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:13 AM

A minor update, while looking for gross weight of canned items, there are a number of food items in plastic retort style packages. The nukable stuff could be heated by dunking the sealed item in boiling water, some long tongs are all that's needed.