RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2023, 04:21 PM

Default Specialties V4.0

I'm creating some PCs in V4.0. The rulebook says PCs can start with a specialty. I'm assuming this means one only, i haven't been able to find anything in the Ref or Player manual that suggests otherwise.

One of my PCs is an experienced A grade operator. I've given him 4 specialties (ranger, navigation, scout and infiltrator).

How have you dealt with specialties in your games? Have you limited it to one per PC? How many specialties would you give a high level experienced PC and still keep it "real"?

As stated, i've given out 4 specialties to represent a form of sniper/behind enemy lines kind of operator - but have stopped from giving them +1 specialties for firearms.
Old 08-29-2023, 04:53 PM
Administrator

This assumes that one is using the archetype char-gen method. I started off by giving each PC one bonus specialty (for a total of two per PC), as a house-rule.

I tracked earned XP during the campaign. The base rules have mechanics for improving skill level and/or acquiring new specialties, so my PCs were able to "level up", as it were, after a few sessions.

Someone suggested the house-rule of adding a specialty each time a skill reached C level. I began my campaign using this house-rule, but discovered as soon as PCs had earned enough XP to start increasing skill levels that it produced OP characters. It created a "reverse-double whammy" situation, where the PC was rewarded twice every time a skill level was raised to C (once, with the higher skill level, and again with the added specialty). I didn't like how quickly my PCs were becoming super soldiers, so I abandoned that house-rule several sessions in. I even went back and removed any specialties gained through routine skill advancement.

IMHO, artificially adding more specialties to a starting archetype will result in OP PCs. I'm not a fan of that approach, but it may suit others' tastes better than the base rules.

TLDR Version:
  • +1 bonus specialty at char-gen
  • From then on out, base rules for earning XP and spending it on skill level increase OR adding a specialty
  • Adding more specialties on top of the above creates OP PCs

-
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, the gear-book, Baltic Boats, and the co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048
https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/...-waters-module
Old 08-29-2023, 06:04 PM

I rolled up 11 completely random characters a while back to use as back up NPCs, using the lifepath method, and they had an average of around 4.8 specialties EACH, the lowest having only 2 specialties, and the highest having a whopping 7 specialties. That's all prior to gaining in-game experience.

If you're running with archetypes, I think giving them each 2 or even 3 starting specialties seems entirely within reason. This is (IMO) one of the main reasons why the lifepath method creates characters that are generally much stronger than using archetypes, so some balance is probably appropriate.
Old 08-30-2023, 05:10 AM
This Sourcebook Kills Fascists

In my current campaign, I discarded both archetype and lifepath character creation in favor of free-form (but almost all of my players are World of Darkness veterans and accustomed to that mode). Each PC starts with a skill pyramid of 1xB, 2xC, 3xD, arranged as desired. They then get three specialties, one of which must be associated with the B skill.

Further specialty acquisition during play follows the book's rule: 10xp and successful instruction from someone who already has the specialty. It hasn't seemed unbalancing. We're about 30 sessions in and I think one PC has six specialties. The rest have between five and their starting three.

- C.

Author of The Pacific Northwest, coauthor of Tara Romaneasca, creator of several other free Twilight: 2000 and Twilight: 2013 resources, and curator of an intermittent gaming blog.

It rarely takes more than a page to recognize that you're in the presence of someone who can write, but it only takes a sentence to know you're dealing with someone who can't.
- Josh Olson
Old 09-05-2023, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegyrius View Post
In my current campaign, I discarded both archetype and lifepath character creation in favor of free-form (but almost all of my players are World of Darkness veterans and accustomed to that mode). Each PC starts with a skill pyramid of 1xB, 2xC, 3xD, arranged as desired. They then get three specialties, one of which must be associated with the B skill.

Further specialty acquisition during play follows the book's rule: 10xp and successful instruction from someone who already has the specialty. It hasn't seemed unbalancing. We're about 30 sessions in and I think one PC has six specialties. The rest have between five and their starting three.

- C.
Teg, do you give them a starting point system for attributes as well? Or just follow the standard lifepath method for attribute points?

I've found that the 2-6 attribute point range on lifepath character creation is a bit too variable for my liking - one character might only roll up a 2xC and 2xB character, while another rolls up a 3xA and 1xC character. I'd be interested to know how folks are handling attributes in case someone has found a better method that works for them.
Old 09-05-2023, 02:47 PM

I use free form to generate my PCs. I have a picture in my head of what the PC is, then assign attributes and specialties as i see fit.

For example, a helicopter has crashed in the jungle and the crew is missing. A follow up rescue team sent in 4 days ago has also dropped off the grid (insert Predator introductory music here).

A second rescue team is being put together. For the Swartzeneger character i will not roll for his skills. I may choose to assign 3 x A's plus a B for instance for the lead character.

I grew up having to roll introductory PCs so always started with bare minimum skills etc. Then was made to pay mid to high difficulty modules in various RPG systems. I grew tired of always having to start with novice PCs, unable to complete a module, potentially dying, then having to start with a new novice level PC.

Looking back, i loved my time playing DnD, Top Secret and James Bond. But i had novice PCs and was too young a player to be good enough to make up for my lack of stats. I guess in my older life, i've realised if i want to play a mature and experienced PC then i just assign stats that reflect the character in my own head and ignore rule book PC creation.

Also, i tend to run my PCs in solo campaigns. So i don't mind them being a little over powered.
Old 09-06-2023, 05:02 AM
This Sourcebook Kills Fascists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heffe View Post
Teg, do you give them a starting point system for attributes as well? Or just follow the standard lifepath method for attribute points?
All attributes start at C. Apply three 1-step increases as desired. As an option, reduce one attribute to D for a fourth increase.

For CUF, I allow the player to choose their character's starting CUF... but their starting permanent rads are the result of a CUF die roll.

- C.

Author of The Pacific Northwest, coauthor of Tara Romaneasca, creator of several other free Twilight: 2000 and Twilight: 2013 resources, and curator of an intermittent gaming blog.

It rarely takes more than a page to recognize that you're in the presence of someone who can write, but it only takes a sentence to know you're dealing with someone who can't.
- Josh Olson
Old 09-06-2023, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegyrius View Post
All attributes start at C. Apply three 1-step increases as desired. As an option, reduce one attribute to D for a fourth increase.

For CUF, I allow the player to choose their character's starting CUF... but their starting permanent rads are the result of a CUF die roll.

- C.
Ahh interesting, so closer to the archetype averages than the lifepath averages. Thanks for that.

The CUF/Rad thing is really interesting. Do you find folks leaning toward better CUF/more rads? That seems like a bit of a no-brainer.