RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 01-04-2011, 01:56 AM

Default Expanded British character generation rules for 1.0

Hope some of you find this useful.

As ever comments are welcome.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Character Gen 1-0.pdf (117.4 KB, 210 views)
Old 01-04-2011, 01:13 PM

You've put the Royal Logistics Corps and the Adjutant Generals corps there These two were only created with the end of the cold war and Options for change.Deliberate?

Colour Sergeant Bourne: And a bayonet, sir, with some guts behind.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_uk View Post
You've put the Royal Logistics Corps and the Adjutant Generals corps there These two were only created with the end of the cold war and Options for change.Deliberate?
Good point, my Options for Change reformed support services but did not reduce the size of the army. Feel free to change to the previous corps.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to natehale1971 Send a message via MSN to natehale1971 Send a message via Yahoo to natehale1971

You could have the 'options for change' that happened during the early-1990s be a restructuring to make the army more flexible and more able to deal with a wide variety of threats and not just the Soviet Union... This is what i did in my alternate T2k campaign that had a slow build up to the nuclear exchanges. Especially with what the British media refer to as the new series of 'troubles' happening around the Globe. There was something i had written about each of the brush fire wars happening, and the names for each of the conflicts used by the British Media (that would be picked up by American Media as well).

The media would name these brush fire wars such as The <name> Conflict, the <name> Confrontation, the <name> Troubles and the <name> Emergency.

Of course my idea for the Twilight War is a little different, inspired a little by World in Conflict and First Edition Twilight 2000.. but set in the early 21st Century (namely NOW) where the Soviet Union & Warsaw Pact didn't fall, but where they adopted 'state capitalism' to save their collective bacon.

Havana Pact (Central & South America)
Beijing Pact (Asia & Pacific Rim)
Baghdad Pact (Middle East & Northern Africa)
Congo Pact (Central, Eastern and Southern Africa)

Any advice on naming some of these forces would be appreciated. The Fifth UK Army located in Africa was going to be named the British Army of the Nile. But i wasn't sure they'd name it that since most of their operations has one Corps fighting in Ethiopia, Kenya, and Sudan.. and a second Corps is fighting in Southern African. And I need to figure out where the Fourth UK Army would be deployed.. I had thought of them fighting in the Asia/Pacific Rim theater with the bulk of the units assigned being from the Commonwealth nations.

First UK Army (British Army of the Danube): The British Army of the Danube is assigned to Southern Europe & the Balkans
Second UK Army (British Army of the Rhine): The British Army of the Rhine is assigned to Northern Europe
Third UK Army (British Army of the Thames): The British Army of the Thames is assigned to the British Isles
Fourth UK Army (British Army of the <>): The British Army of the <> is assigned to
Fifth UK Army (British Army of the <>): The British Army of the <> is assigned to Africa
Sixth UK Army (British Army of the Amazon): The British Army of the Amazon is assigned to Central & South America
Seventh UK Army (British Army of the <>): The British Army of the <> is assigned to Asia & the Pacific Rim
Eight UK Army (British Army of the Euphrates): The British Army of the Euphrates is assigned to the Middle East
Fuck being a hero. Do you know what you get for being a hero? Nothing! You get shot at. You get a little pat on the back, blah blah blah, attaboy! You get divorced... Your wife can't remember your last name, your kids don't want to talk to you... You get to eat a lot of meals by yourself. Trust me kid, nobody wants to be that guy. I do this because there is nobody else to do it right now. Believe me if there was somebody else to do it, I would let them do it. There's not, so I'm doing it.

Last edited by natehale1971; 01-04-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natehale1971 View Post
You could have the 'options for change' that happened during the early-1990s be a restructuring to make the army more flexible and more able to deal with a wide variety of threats and not just the Soviet Union... This is what i did in my alternate T2k campaign that had a slow build up to the nuclear exchanges. Especially with what the British media refer to as the new series of 'troubles' happening around the Globe. There was something i had written about each of the brush fire wars happening, and the names for each of the conflicts used by the British Media (that would be picked up by American Media as well).

The media would name these brush fire wars such as The <name> Conflict, the <name> Confrontation, the <name> Troubles and the <name> Emergency.

Of course my idea for the Twilight War is a little different, inspired a little by World in Conflict and First Edition Twilight 2000.. but set in the early 21st Century (namely NOW) where the Soviet Union & Warsaw Pact didn't fall, but where they adopted 'state capitalism' to save their collective bacon.

Havana Pact (Central & South America)
Beijing Pact (Asia & Pacific Rim)
Baghdad Pact (Middle East & Northern Africa)
Congo Pact (Central, Eastern and Southern Africa)

Any advice on naming some of these forces would be appreciated. The Fifth UK Army located in Africa was going to be named the British Army of the Nile. But i wasn't sure they'd name it that since most of their operations has one Corps fighting in Ethiopia, Kenya, and Sudan.. and a second Corps is fighting in Southern African. And I need to figure out where the Fourth UK Army would be deployed.. I had thought of them fighting in the Asia/Pacific Rim theater with the bulk of the units assigned being from the Commonwealth nations.

First UK Army (British Army of the Danube): The British Army of the Danube is assigned to Southern Europe & the Balkans
Second UK Army (British Army of the Rhine): The British Army of the Rhine is assigned to Northern Europe
Third UK Army (British Army of the Thames): The British Army of the Thames is assigned to the British Isles
Fourth UK Army (British Army of the <>): The British Army of the <> is assigned to
Fifth UK Army (British Army of the <>): The British Army of the <> is assigned to Africa
Sixth UK Army (British Army of the Amazon): The British Army of the Amazon is assigned to Central & South America
Seventh UK Army (British Army of the <>): The British Army of the <> is assigned to Asia & the Pacific Rim
Eight UK Army (British Army of the Euphrates): The British Army of the Euphrates is assigned to the Middle East
Somewhat large British Army!

3rd Army is more likely to be United Kingdom Land Forces Command not a numbered army.
4th Army - you could use with the 5th to have the Nile and then the 4th could be Commonwealth Army (Southern Africa) (CASA) with a large African Commonwealth component = maybe Commonwealth Forces (Southern Africa)
5th Army - I do like the Nile - you could always use mission creep to justify the incorrect name!
6th Army - How about British Forces Command, Central America (BFCCA)
7th Army - British Forces Pacific Command
8th Army - like that name, alternatively the Middle East Field Force rings a bell.. :-)

Changing the name from army to Command or similar allows the unit to be purple (tri-service).

Nicknames could be fun!
Old 01-05-2011, 05:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to natehale1971 Send a message via MSN to natehale1971 Send a message via Yahoo to natehale1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Langham View Post
Somewhat large British Army!

3rd Army is more likely to be United Kingdom Land Forces Command not a numbered army.
4th Army - you could use with the 5th to have the Nile and then the 4th could be Commonwealth Army (Southern Africa) (CASA) with a large African Commonwealth component = maybe Commonwealth Forces (Southern Africa)
5th Army - I do like the Nile - you could always use mission creep to justify the incorrect name!
6th Army - How about British Forces Command, Central America (BFCCA)
7th Army - British Forces Pacific Command
8th Army - like that name, alternatively the Middle East Field Force rings a bell.. :-)

Changing the name from army to Command or similar allows the unit to be purple (tri-service).

Nicknames could be fun!
Yup... the British Army ended up following the US into conflicts around the world. The bulk of the British field armies have large commonwealth components... especially since my campaign has the slow buildup to the twilight war. Threats around the world definitely caused all kinds of problems for the entire world.

I think I'll do that.. change the name to command and have the "British Army of the <blank>" as their nicknames used by media and others as well.
Fuck being a hero. Do you know what you get for being a hero? Nothing! You get shot at. You get a little pat on the back, blah blah blah, attaboy! You get divorced... Your wife can't remember your last name, your kids don't want to talk to you... You get to eat a lot of meals by yourself. Trust me kid, nobody wants to be that guy. I do this because there is nobody else to do it right now. Believe me if there was somebody else to do it, I would let them do it. There's not, so I'm doing it.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:08 PM

I wish I'd had that page when I rolled my first character (imagine the stretch required to put a shot-down RAF pilot in amongst the 5th MID in Poland, 2 years after the air war ended... but that's another story).
One change I would suggest is that Aircrew (non-pilots) can be Officers or NCOs- if they are NCOs the minimum rank is usually Sergeant. This covers both the branches such as AEO that are usually NCO entrant, but from which it is possible to be commissioned, and Navigator and Fighter Controller (AWACS crew) who would begin as Officers.
Edited to add: how about another option in the RN/RM section: there must be someone out there who wants to play a Marine Bandsman!

Last edited by Sanjuro; 01-05-2011 at 07:17 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:14 AM

Default Extra options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjuro View Post
I wish I'd had that page when I rolled my first character (imagine the stretch required to put a shot-down RAF pilot in amongst the 5th MID in Poland, 2 years after the air war ended... but that's another story).
One change I would suggest is that Aircrew (non-pilots) can be Officers or NCOs- if they are NCOs the minimum rank is usually Sergeant. This covers both the branches such as AEO that are usually NCO entrant, but from which it is possible to be commissioned, and Navigator and Fighter Controller (AWACS crew) who would begin as Officers.
Edited to add: how about another option in the RN/RM section: there must be someone out there who wants to play a Marine Bandsman!
Nice ideas.

I'll change the RAF options (about which to be honest I'm not an expert). As a quick fix for bandsmen use the template for medic (open to officers) as they are stretcher bearers as a second trade. This applies to all services (note that the is no RM bonus as they do not do the all Arms Course, instead use the Army package).

Tags
1.0, british, character generation, rules