RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Morrow Project/ Project Phoenix Forum

Old 08-30-2014, 01:00 PM

Default The Flag, The Flag! plus more

What do you think of the flag I designed for a political entity in my game?
Not sure if I got the Latin correct for what I think it says:

Always Vigilant
Always Prepared
Always Free
Always Learning
Always Strong
Nostrum terra est in medius of regio – Our country is in the middle of the region (It is a reference to the physical location of the Republic, a democracy effectively surrounded by anarchy and tyrannical city-states and nations.)

The White Eagle on the left of the flag is also the emblem used on government owned vehicles. On dark backgrounds just the white eagle silhouette is used. On light backgrounds the eagle is on a black background. (I'm also including a page from the vehicle book, a work still in progress, for the entity.)
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Vehicles for the Jackson Republic sample.pdf (144.5 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by RandyT0001; 01-24-2015 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Replaced flag
Old 08-30-2014, 07:39 PM

Just curious if there is an intentional USCG association.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:42 PM
Internet Intellectual

Flags are symbols.

So probably a symbol to represent each of those meanings.

The post-Apoc world is probably illiterate let alone knowledgeable of Latin.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:33 PM

MMartin798,
The is no intended connection to the USCG. The Republic is hundreds of miles from the seas and oceans.

ArmySGT,
I thought about using symbols for each element. I still might include some in the Official Presidential Seal or for the Assembly. But I will have to find some clip art or graphics that I like first.

There are probably thousands of people knowledgeable of what Latin is and hundreds that are literate. Emdees are one group that still probably use Latin even in a post-Apoc world.

It really depends on the setting. Me? I believe that there should be Yang for Ying, Khan for Kirk, negative for positive, reaction for action, etc.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:15 PM

i like it. i'm still trying to figure out some kind of flag/motto for a rather OP settlement in my game.
the best course of action when all is against you is to slow down and think critically about the situation. this way you are not blindly rushing into an ambush and your mind is doing something useful rather than getting you killed.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:06 PM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyT0001 View Post
MMartin798,
The is no intended connection to the USCG. The Republic is hundreds of miles from the seas and oceans.

ArmySGT,
I thought about using symbols for each element. I still might include some in the Official Presidential Seal or for the Assembly. But I will have to find some clip art or graphics that I like first.

There are probably thousands of people knowledgeable of what Latin is and hundreds that are literate. Emdees are one group that still probably use Latin even in a post-Apoc world.

It really depends on the setting. Me? I believe that there should be Yang for Ying, Khan for Kirk, negative for positive, reaction for action, etc.
Emdees might........... Their knowledge is five generations removed from the original Doctor. They could use the words without grasping that this is part of a larger language. I have taken medical terminology at my local community college (on the way to a new degree), while we learned (rote) alot of pre-fixes, suffixes, and combining words not the verbs or conjugations for things that are not strictly anatomical.

As for symbols, some Heraldric (Chivalry) websites. Examples of symbology abound for each of those meanings. Probably a bunch in .gif format.