RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2022, 05:21 AM

Default homebrew systems

Is there any of you that has been cooking on a homebrew sysytem ?

For me it has gone so far that I have made a Excel that after you done all your dice work and your chooises in life you can make a Char in less then 5 min.

Antti

Last edited by Antenna; 02-17-2022 at 06:09 AM.
Old 02-17-2022, 08:10 AM

I have to mention also that I have an own set of rules makeing a char...

0 skill level costs 1 xp
1 skill level additional costs 1 xp
2 skill level additional costs 2 xp
3 skill level additional costs 3 xp
and so forth

this makes a jack of all trades and master of none a fair choosie

then you can also choose artial arts

then you can choose soething called "luck" it works as folowing you can add you luck to every dice roll you make or use a luck point to save the day... when you run out of luck you as it understood you run out of luck and you all know what that means
So how much luck can you "buy"
1 in luck costs 1 xp
2 in luck is additional 4 xp
3 in luck is additional 9 xp
4 in luck is additional 16 xp
5 in luck is additional 25 xp
or additional level in luck power 2
So if you really gonna make a char that you can play you cannot spend all in luck it doesn't gonna work for you.
Old 02-17-2022, 08:31 AM
The Stat Guy

Well, anyone who's been to the appropriate areas of my site know that I use a homebrew character generation system. In addition, I use a D10 instead of a D6 for damage from weapons, except for melee weapons.

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 02-17-2022, 09:58 AM

Untill now I have talked about what happens at subsequent term. That are the only changes from the orginal rules ... but I have made some changes to first term skill adds and basic training. Now I couldnt retrive my files from a HD meltdown but I have it on paper and are in the process converting it to HTML.

Antti
Old 02-17-2022, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antenna View Post
I have to mention also that I have an own set of rules makeing a char...

0 skill level costs 1 xp
1 skill level additional costs 1 xp
2 skill level additional costs 2 xp
3 skill level additional costs 3 xp
and so forth

this makes a jack of all trades and master of none a fair choosie
I use the same system except that I give more experience points per term to buy skills. I also have a Skill Level 0 (familiarization) which costs 1 experience point. You must buy EVERY SKILL LEVEL with the exp you get each term. I give each PC a number of exp per term equal to the total of EDU, INT, CHA, & WILL. However, I limit the number of exp you can spend on a given skill per term to your highest attribute in the formula above. So if you have a 6 as your highest Attribute, then you can only put 6 exp points in a skill per term.
I also convert the Skills you get for basic training or other terms/careers initial skills as bonus exp points to spend. However, these exp MUST be spent on that exact skill and do NOT count against the PC's exp per term limit.
Any exp that are not able to increase a skill (like only having 5 exp to put on a skill but having a 6 skill) are carried over to the next Term OR carried into the game as exp to increase a skill later.

QUALIFICATIONS:

I also add QUALIFICATIONS from TK2K13. This is basically a skill within a skill. All SURGEONS are DOCTORS but not all DOCTORS are SURGEONS. So Surgeons buy a Qualification in surgery. This is purchased like normal skills but it can NEVER be higher than the parent skill. Other QUALIFICATIONS I have include...

Hacking as a qual of Computer Ops.
Leadership & Interogation as quals of Persuasion.
Tracking as a qual of Perception (my Observation).
Heavy Vehicle (more than 5 tons) as a qual of Wheeled Vehicle Driver.
Rebreather as a qual of Scuba.
Warhead & EOD as quals of Demolitions.
Multi-Engine & Heavy as quals of Pilot.
Surgery as a qual of Medical.

UNSKILLED:

If you do not have a Skill, I use TW2K13's method. You must roll 2d20 and take the higher of the two scores. The same is used for Qualifications you don't have (such as Tracking with only Perception or Interogation using only Persuasion). If you have a Level 0, you are considered skilled and do not roll 2D20 take the higher score.

ATTRIBUTES:

I allow the increasing of Attributes the same way as you increase skills. You collect a number of exp equal to the Attribute score you are looking to increase to. Once you get there you MUST ROLL OVER the current score to improve. I give the players ONE EXP a game session to apply to the Attribute of their choice.

That's how I do my skills. It creates PCs who have a lot of lower level skills but only a few higher level ones. This makes my PCs capable of operating in smaller groups.
Old 02-17-2022, 01:48 PM

I give following to my players who gets subsequent term 24 xp for all branches (Civ, Edu and Mil) expect for rangertype and SOF chars they get 32 xp
Allright it sounds unfair but you have to have the dies with you when you roll for the most wanted warrior type of char.

Then when it goes down to warterm the players ger 32/44 xp

@swaghauler
of course the players must pay for every level they pass thru.

Antti
Old 02-17-2022, 01:52 PM

Where to start with my homebrew...

WILLPOWER: This was a skill in DARK CONSPIRACY but I made it an Attribute.

COOLNESS UNDER FIRE (CUF): I basically added the TW2K13 cuf score to my game. This makes for a good fear mechanic in Dark Conspiracy too.

INITIATIVE: I roll 1d6 and add it to the PC's score then divide by 2 (ru) to determine who starts when. I also treat each step as a 1 second "mini round" for burst and multiple shots fires (1 shot per 1 second step).

RATE OF FIRE (ROF): I set ROF at the weapon's cyclic rate divided by 100. So an AK with a cyclic rate of 600rpm would have a ROF of 6 per initiative step. An MP5K (950rpm) would have a ROF of 9.
This is a real-world 6/10ths of a second burst.

UNIFIED DAMAGE: I use the RAW 2.2 hth damage formula BUT this is the number of d6 dice of STUN DAMAGE (I use Fantasy Hero's stun system) you do. The total damage is divided by the target's CON score (rd) to determine the killing damage.

MELEE DAMAGE: I have the pc average their STR + MELEE SKILL and apply it to the following chart...

STR&MELEE TOTAL: DAMAGE:
1-2 = 1
3-4 = 2
5-6 = 3
7-8 = 4
9-10 = 5

This is the number of DAMAGE DICE that a melee weapon will do in your hands (unifying damage by using the same system as firearms).
I do use variable sized dice for damage.
Small Knives (4") = d4
Large Knives = d6
Swords = d8
Axes = d10
Batons = d4

I also use d10 for rifles and d6 for pistols (with the pistols having more dice, ie 9mm being 2d6).

Those are just a few of my houserules.
Old 02-17-2022, 01:57 PM

@swaghauler

Sounds like a sound system

I wish I could post a link to my homebrew system but it is still on paper

Antti
Old 02-18-2022, 09:56 AM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaghauler View Post
WILLPOWER: This was a skill in DARK CONSPIRACY but I made it an Attribute.
I kept it a skill in my T2KU (under Intelligence), but expanded it quite a bit.

Quote:
COOLNESS UNDER FIRE (CUF): I basically added the TW2K13 cuf score to my game. This makes for a good fear mechanic in Dark Conspiracy too.
That's something that's missing in T2K v2.2, but should be there.

Quote:
RATE OF FIRE (ROF): I set ROF at the weapon's cyclic rate divided by 100. So an AK with a cyclic rate of 600rpm would have a ROF of 6 per initiative step. An MP5K (950rpm) would have a ROF of 9.
This is a real-world 6/10ths of a second burst.
This is good, but how does one handle it with the T2K v2.2 automatic fire rules?

Quote:
MELEE DAMAGE:
What is needed are solid martial arts rules. (I haven't been able to come up with any.)

Last edited by pmulcahy11b; 02-18-2022 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 02-18-2022, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b View Post
This is good, but how does one handle it with the T2K v2.2 automatic fire rules?
THE TO HIT DIFFICULTY:

It's actually EASIER than RAW in 2.2. First, I INCREASE the TO HIT DIFFICULTY by one Level for automatic fire from a single shot. So a ROUTINE Shot (1.5 X Skill) becomes AVERAGE (Skill X 1) using automatic fire. I do this because automatic fire CAN BE quite accurate at closer ranges. Since I only allow ONE BURST per Initiative Step, you only have to roll a number of D20s equal to that weapon's ROF. So you would roll 6D20s for an AK.

DISPERSION:

I disliked the RAW Dispersion rules and settled on these ones after a bit of experimentation. The number of rounds you lose per range band depend on the weapon's Rate of Fire.

ROF of 21+ = 1 die at Short, 2 at Medium, 3 at Long, 4 at Extreme Range.
10 ROF or greater = 1 die at Medium, 2 at Long, 3 at Extreme Range.
6 to 9 ROF = 1 die at Long, 2 at Extreme Range.
ROF of 5 or less = 1 die at Extreme Range.

RECOIL:

I recalculate RECOIL just as the formula in the V2 Small Arms Guide directs you to. ALL Recoil is calculated only for the 1-second Initiative Phase/Step that the shooter is firing in. The RECOIL resets with each new Phase. When RECOIL exceeds the shooter's STR, a Shift Reduction in the To Hit Difficulty occurs (ie a DIFFICULT shot [of 1/2 Skill] would become a FORMIDABLE SHOT [1/4 Skill]). IF STR is exceeded TWICE then you would see a TWO SHIFT reduction in accuracy and so on.
For AUTOMATIC FIRE, in addition to the Difficulty Shift adjustment for exceeding the shooter's STR score, you will ALSO lose one die from the weapon's ROF for each POINT OF RECOIL that exceeds the shooter's STR score. This loss counts as Dispersion as well. A burst can NEVER be reduced below rolling 1 die To Hit.

SPECIALTY AUTOMATIC FIRES:

Saturation Fire:

This type of fire is designed to improve hit probability on the battlefield. Saturation fire allows you to trade ROF for an increased chance to hit. You would only roll ONE HALF of the ROF. The other half of your ROF is used to give you a bonus that you may SUBTRACT from your roll to hit. This bonus is HALF (RU) of the unused ROF. So, an AK with a ROF of 6 would roll only 3 D20s to hit but would have a bonus of 2 (3/2 = 1.5 rounding up to 2). Thus you would SUBTRACT 2 from your 3 1D20 rolls.

Grazing Fire:

This type of fire is designed to engage multiple targets with a single burst or to lay fire across an area. It is of ONE LEVEL GREATER DIFFICULTY than normal automatic fire (ie a DIFFICULT task becomes FORMIDABLE) and you can engage a number of Targets OR Meters of Terrain equal to 1/2 the weapon's ROF. So the AK above (ROF 6) could either cover 3 meters of terrain in fire or shoot at 3 individual targets in close proximity. Each target would be allocated a single round (rolling 1D20 To Hit). IF you were to engage only TWO targets, the shooter could pick one of the two targets to get shot at TWICE.

Those are the basics of my automatic fire rules.
Old 02-19-2022, 07:54 AM

I use D10s for damage, but they're open ended. I had a PC being threatened by an NPC with a pistol once. Doing only 1D10 damage and in V2.2 a PC has hundreds of hits, he thought at most he would get a scratch wound and would then overpower the NPC. His face was a picture when I told him the pistol round did 36 points to his arm and his plan went straight out of the window.
Old 02-19-2022, 08:52 AM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaghauler View Post
THE TO HIT DIFFICULTY:

It's actually EASIER than RAW in 2.2. First, I INCREASE the TO HIT DIFFICULTY by one Level for automatic fire from a single shot. So a ROUTINE Shot (1.5 X Skill) becomes AVERAGE (Skill X 1) using automatic fire. I do this because automatic fire CAN BE quite accurate at closer ranges. Since I only allow ONE BURST per Initiative Step, you only have to roll a number of D20s equal to that weapon's ROF. So you would roll 6D20s for an AK.

DISPERSION:

I disliked the RAW Dispersion rules and settled on these ones after a bit of experimentation. The number of rounds you lose per range band depend on the weapon's Rate of Fire.

ROF of 21+ = 1 die at Short, 2 at Medium, 3 at Long, 4 at Extreme Range.
10 ROF or greater = 1 die at Medium, 2 at Long, 3 at Extreme Range.
6 to 9 ROF = 1 die at Long, 2 at Extreme Range.
ROF of 5 or less = 1 die at Extreme Range.

RECOIL:

I recalculate RECOIL just as the formula in the V2 Small Arms Guide directs you to. ALL Recoil is calculated only for the 1-second Initiative Phase/Step that the shooter is firing in. The RECOIL resets with each new Phase. When RECOIL exceeds the shooter's STR, a Shift Reduction in the To Hit Difficulty occurs (ie a DIFFICULT shot [of 1/2 Skill] would become a FORMIDABLE SHOT [1/4 Skill]). IF STR is exceeded TWICE then you would see a TWO SHIFT reduction in accuracy and so on.
For AUTOMATIC FIRE, in addition to the Difficulty Shift adjustment for exceeding the shooter's STR score, you will ALSO lose one die from the weapon's ROF for each POINT OF RECOIL that exceeds the shooter's STR score. This loss counts as Dispersion as well. A burst can NEVER be reduced below rolling 1 die To Hit.

SPECIALTY AUTOMATIC FIRES:

Saturation Fire:

This type of fire is designed to improve hit probability on the battlefield. Saturation fire allows you to trade ROF for an increased chance to hit. You would only roll ONE HALF of the ROF. The other half of your ROF is used to give you a bonus that you may SUBTRACT from your roll to hit. This bonus is HALF (RU) of the unused ROF. So, an AK with a ROF of 6 would roll only 3 D20s to hit but would have a bonus of 2 (3/2 = 1.5 rounding up to 2). Thus you would SUBTRACT 2 from your 3 1D20 rolls.

Grazing Fire:

This type of fire is designed to engage multiple targets with a single burst or to lay fire across an area. It is of ONE LEVEL GREATER DIFFICULTY than normal automatic fire (ie a DIFFICULT task becomes FORMIDABLE) and you can engage a number of Targets OR Meters of Terrain equal to 1/2 the weapon's ROF. So the AK above (ROF 6) could either cover 3 meters of terrain in fire or shoot at 3 individual targets in close proximity. Each target would be allocated a single round (rolling 1D20 To Hit). IF you were to engage only TWO targets, the shooter could pick one of the two targets to get shot at TWICE.

Those are the basics of my automatic fire rules.
So basically, a mix of fudging with a solid rule base. I can do that.

Old 02-19-2022, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zappster View Post
I use D10s for damage, but they're open ended. I had a PC being threatened by an NPC with a pistol once. Doing only 1D10 damage and in V2.2 a PC has hundreds of hits, he thought at most he would get a scratch wound and would then overpower the NPC. His face was a picture when I told him the pistol round did 36 points to his arm and his plan went straight out of the window.
I like that idea.
Old 02-20-2022, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b View Post
So basically, a mix of fudging with a solid rule base. I can do that.
It's pretty much the RAW Autofire format just expanded to take into account the shooter's skill. ROF is nothing more than distilling down the weapon's cyclic rate to around 1/2 a second of shooting based on the original 5 second round. I found it better to convert to a 6 second round and make each phase 1 second in length. When I figured out that Cyclic Rate divided by 100 was the number of shots fired in 6/10ths of a second (or slightly more than half of a 1-second phase), I found any easy-to-remember way how to do ROF for TW2K 2.2.
Old 03-20-2022, 11:46 PM

Default Swaghauler's Homebrew: Basic Task System Upgrades for V2.2

It has come to my attention that there are so many new members that you may not be aware of how my modified V2.2 system works and that this may cause some confusion with my posting (especially skill use postings). So here it is again. Please note that I have been steadily playtesting this system for about 20 years but it is still evolving as I type this.

ESTABLISHING SKILL ASSETS:

I use experience points to set Skill levels during character creation. I have posted in this thread above how I do skills. What needs to be discussed is how those skills are combined with ATTRIBUTES. I remove the concept of the "Controlling Attribute" introduced in V2 and will set the needed Attributes according to the Task being attempted. It may require either a single Attribute to be combined, or you may combine MULTIPLE ATTRIBUTES together to get the second number for your Skill Asset. For example, my MELEE COMBAT skill combines STR & AGL together to get the Attribute total for the Asset. The Skills of CLIMBING & SWIMMING combine STR, AGL, & CON together to get the Attribute total for your CLIMBING ASSET. I just find it more realistic to give more influence to Attributes as a group than to single out an Attribute for each skill.

I can also CHANGE Attributes for different Tasks during play. For physically climbing something a PC combines STR, AGL, & CON with their Climbing Skill number. But, what if the PC needed to fabricate some climbing gear from items found in a supply shed? In this instance, I would combine their Climb Skill with INT (for creativity), EDU (for their understanding of what the gear they are improvising actually does), and WILL (for a measure of patience and perseverance). Thus, I'm able to "customize" Tasks just like in TRAVELLER (where this originates from). When combining Attributes together, I always average them and then ROUND DOWN. I do this because I believe that "natural talent" (as depicted by Attributes) should not trump a Skill Rating.

For Unskilled Tasks, I use the TW2K13 approach of having PCs/NPCs roll TWO D20s and take the higher roll. This is the functional equivalent of taking a BANE(see below).

For speed of play, I set out the various Skills a PC has on a Skill sheet (part of their character sheet) and have them figure their Skill Difficulty Levels for each skill ASSET using the most commonly used Attributes. These are recorded horizontally across the sheet after the Skill is listed and the RAW Skill LEVEL entered into a box on that line. That way, the players simply have to look at that Skill's line on their character sheet to see their chances of success. This GREATLY speeds up play!

TASK DIFFICULTY LEVELS:

I expanded the RAW Difficulty Levels because they were simply a little too "coarse" for my tastes. Initially, I used TRAVELLER as my guide, but I have since expanded them even more. The Difficulty Levels displayed below will be shown with a perfectly Average Skill Asset of 10 multiplied for a reference example. Those Levels are:

VERY EASY TASKS: Skill Asset X 3. 10 X 3 = 30 or less.
EASY TASKS: Skill Asset X 2. 10 X 2 = 20 or less.
ROUTINE TASKS: Skill Asset X 1.5. 10 X 1.5 = 15 or less.
AVERAGE TASKS: Skill Asset X 1(as figured). 10 X 1 = 10 or less.
FAIRLY DIFFICULT TASKS: Skill Asset X 0.75. 10 X 0.75 = 7 or less.
DIFFICULT TASKS: Skill Asset X 0.5. 10 X 0.5 = 5 or less.
VERY DIFFICULT TASKS: Skill Asset X 0.33. 10 X 0.33 = 3 or less.
FORMIDABLE TASKS: Skill Asset X 0.25. 10 X 0.25 = 2 or less.
IMPOSSIBLE TASKS: Asset X 0.1. 10 X 0.1 = 1 or less.

Any roll of a 20 is always a failure and any roll of a 1 is always a success.

The Italicized Task Difficulties are used if you start with a ROUTINE Task and the regular bolded Difficulties are used if you start with an AVERAGE Task. Please note that BOTH end up with IMPOSSIBLE Tasks at 0.1. Thus you can use this table to halve or double your Difficulties just like in RAW V2.2.

Lately, however, I have been engaging in the concept of the DIFFICULTY SHIFT. Whenever conditions require me to halve or double my Difficulty (target moving or obscured, wounded, poor visibility, etc...) I will on occasion, SHIFT my Difficulty Level by a step on the chart above instead. So instead of going from AVERAGE to DIFFICULT, I will go to FAIRLY DIFFICULT. I do this for situational modifiers during play. I leave SKILL DIFFICULTIES unchanged (the Difficulty to hit based on RANGE BAND, or the Halving a Difficulty for using a related Skill are examples of things I do not change).

BONUSES TO THE ROLL:

Sometimes the PCs/NPCs will gain the benefit of a good quality device (like a well-made pair of binoculars or a really good toolkit) to help with a Task. They may also receive expert advice or have a tech manual to reference. In these instances, some bonus is warranted but a whole Difficulty Shift may not be the best solution. I will award a bonus (or penalty) in these situations. A bonus SUBTRACTS from the Task roll and a penalty ADDS to the Task roll. I limit my bonuses & penalties to a range of 1, 2, or 3. any larger, and a Difficulty Shift would be more appropriate. I also ALWAYS MODIFY THE ROLL with such bonuses & penalties. Why?

Two reasons. The FIRST REASON is that my Millenial players HATE doing math and want things simple. Instead of changing the Skill Asset and redoing all of the Difficulty Levels, they simply need to add or subtract the bonus from their roll. What can be faster and easier than that?
The SECOND REASON is for PC challenge assistance. A pair of very crisp binoculars isn't very important when you can see the item you are observing clearly with the naked eye (say an EASY Task roll). However, trying to find that camouflaged sniper at 1,000 meters (an IMPOSSIBLE Task) is a different story entirely. There, that +1 for those binoculars DOUBLES your chances of success. Thus I do it as an INTENTIONAL boost to help more difficult Tasks succeed. The name of the game here is for everyone to enjoy the game and having your good binos "save the day" will create a memorable session at the gaming table.

Expertise & Expert Systems: Following the vein above, sometimes a source of knowledge like a shop manual, YouTube tutorial (for my fellow MERC2000 GMs), or a SKILL the PC possesses in addition to the one being used can also provide a bonus to Task resolution. This is handled as a bonus or penalty to the roll just like above. To facilitate this, I assign a total SKILL LEVEL to the Expert System or Reference Work. I then compare this Skill level to the chart below to see how much of a bonus the item (or PC's secondary skill) gives.

TASK BONUS BY SKILL LEVEL:

1-5 = (-)1 bonus
6-8 = (-)2 bonus
9-10 = (-)3 bonus

For Books, Manuals, and Videos where the info may be difficult to find or there is nobody "looking over your shoulder" for problems; I will subtract the Item's Skill Level from the PC's/NPC's Skill Level and use any "surplus Skill" on the chart above. If there is no "surplus skill," the PC/NPC knows more than the manual can tell them! Thus, there will be no bonus.

Thus, Griffin is hunting for parts to fix a broken radio. The radio is a Scarce Item (it's a DIFFICULT Task to find Scarce Items). But, in addition to his SCROUNGING of 8, he has an ELECTRONICS Skill of 3. The GM rules that Griffin's Electronics skill will give him a bonus to his SCROUNGING roll because it enables him to identify unlikely places to find electronics and spot components that could substitute for the needed parts. Griffin's total Scrounging Asset is 15 and his Task probability is 7 (a DIFFICULT TASK). Each 4-hour period Griffin searches, he must roll an 8 or less to succeed (7 with a bonus of -1).

OUTSTANDING, EXCEPTIONAL SUCCESS, & CATASTROPHIC FAILURE:

Sometimes you just get lucky and other times your just "that good" at something. I was intrigued by Modiphous Games CONAN 2D20's bonus system for awarding Momentum. I wanted a similar skill-based system for Twilight2000 V2.2. So here it is.

OUTSTANDING SUCCESS: I set OUTSTANDING SUCCESS at the PCs RAW SKILL LEVEL (the 1-10 number, NOT the Asset) for an AVERAGE Task. If the PC/NPC rolls equal to or under their skill, an Outstanding Success has occurred. So Joe with a MELEE COMBAT Skill of 6 and an Asset of 12 will score an Outstanding Success on a roll of 6 or less. James, who has an Asset of 12 but a Skill of only 4, does so on a roll of 4 or less. Skill matters here. These chances are reduced by the Skill Task's Difficulty. IF James needs to roll against a DIFFICULT LEVEL, his chance of an Outstanding Success is reduced to 2.

EXCEPTIONAL SUCCESS: This is done EXACTLY like an Oustanding Success but Exceptional Success is achieved IF the PC/NPC rolls under HALF of their RAW Skill Score (the 1 to 10 score again). So Joe would need to roll a 3 and James would only score an Exceptional Success on a roll of 2 for an AVERAGE Melee test.

CATASTROPHIC FAILURE: This occurs far too frequently with Impossible tasks and I also wanted Skill Level to influence the chance of a Catastrophic Failure too. I eventually settled on the formula of 10 + Raw Skill Level (the 1 to 10 Level again). So a perfectly average PC (Asset of 10) would suffer a Catastrophic Failure on an AVERAGE Task if there was a modified roll of 25 or more. That same character would suffer a Catastrophic Failure on a DIFFICULT Task if they roll a 20. This helps cut down on the number of Catastrophic failures you will see during the game.

Special Effects and Special Combat Maneuvers: I have added a number of Special Effects like TRIP, DISARM, STUN, OUTMANEUVER OPPONENT, REDIRECT OPPONENT, and various damage enhancements. In addition, my Martial Arts Qualifications of the HTH Skill allow certain Special Maneuvers like THROW OPPONENT WHILE MAINTAINING GRAPPLE (Judo), INFLICTING DAMAGE WHILE GRAPPLING (BJ Jujitzu), STUNNING BLOW (Karate, Mui Tai), COMBO ATTACK (boxing), SPIN KICK (Karate), etc... Many of these are triggered by either an Outstanding Success or an Exceptional Success. I will post these in a later session.

A final word about these is needed. Don't worry about being stingy with these Successes. They should be rare, memorable events that the PLAYERS will talk about long after the session is over.

BOONS & BANES:

Mongoose Publishing decided to add Wizard's D&D5e mechanic of ADVANTAGE and DISADVANTAGE to their remake of TRAVELLER. I saw some value in the D&D5e ADVANTAGE & DISADVANTAGE system myself and adopted Mongoose's BOONS (Advantage) and BANES (Disadvantage). It works just the opposite of D&D because TWILIGHT2000 is a D20 ROLL UNDER system. IF you receive a BOON, you roll TWO D20s and take the LOWER SCORE of the two. IF you receive a BANE, you roll 2D20 and take the HIGHER SCORE of the two. I mostly use these as "transitory modifiers" when a person is intimidated, surprised, stunned, or otherwise outmaneuvered. They work well for PCs using inappropriate SKILLS too. Are you trying to shut down that sub's nuclear reactor with a combination of Ship Handling Skill and Mechanics? Roll with a BANE!

Those are the basics of my Modded V2.2 System. I do use other things like TW2k13's Incremental Tasks but this should give you a better understanding of my other posts.

Swag.

Last edited by swaghauler; 03-21-2022 at 10:39 PM. Reason: correcting my math
Old 03-31-2022, 04:11 PM

Default Adjusting Lethality In Version 2.2

As many of you know, I already bumped rifles to a D10 for Damage and use multiple dice for my Melee weapons and multiple STUN Dice for my HTH Combat damages. Those are just the beginning of how I modify lethality in a V2.2 game.

HIT POINTS PER LOCATION:

I also adjust the Hit Points per Location and give each location a STUN Modifier which adjusts HTH Combat's less lethal damage. I also add or change some of the Wound Levels.

HIT POINTS BY WOUND LEVELS STUN MULTIPLIERS:

The base Hit Points below represent the number of Hit Points for EACH Wound Level. There are FIVE Wound Levels.

* Lightly Wounded (equal to a Scratch Wound in RAW). Base Hit Points
* Moderately Wounded (equal to a Light Wound in RAW). 2 X Base HP
* Seriously Wounded. 3 X Base HP
* Critically Wounded. 4 X Base HP
* A Deadly Wound. @5 X Base HP

Each location has the following BASE Hit Points and STUN Multipliers.

Head: CON in Base HP. STUN X 2
Chest: [CON+STR] in Base HP. STUN X 1
Abdomen: [CON+STR] in Base HP. STUN X 1.5
Legs: [CON+CON+STR] in Base HP. STUN X 0.5
Arms: [CON+STR+STR] in Base HP. STUN X 0.5

WOUND DAMAGE & EFFECTS:

When you are wounded, you suffer the following effects.

Lightly Wounded: Base HP.

* -1 to Initiative rolls
* Must roll [STR + AGL] to Sprint (8m/sec)
* Add 1 Threat Condition

The effects of a Light wound can be countered by a mild pain reliever such as Asprin, Tylenol, or Ibuprofin. Treating a Light Wound is EASY: MEDICAL or ROUTINE: FIRST AID. The wounded individual will heal CON in Hit Points per day until the light wound is healed.

Moderately Wounded: 2 X Base HP.

* -2 to Initiative rolls.
* May NOT Sprint (8m/sec)
* Has a PENALTY of 1 to their rolls on all Physical Tasks
* Add 2 Threat Conditions

The effects of a Moderate Wound can be reduced to those of a Light Wound by taking the same over-the-counter pain killers above. Treating a Moderate Wound is a ROUTINE: MEDICAL or an AVERAGE: FIRST AID. The wound will heal at a rate of the PC's CON per day.

Seriously Wounded 3 X Base HP

* -3 to Initiative rolls.
* May NOT Sprint (8m/sec), must roll [STR+AGL] to run (6m/sec)
* Suffers a Difficulty Shift of one Level on ALL PHYSICAL Task rolls.
* ALL Physical Attributes are reduced by 1 point for Any Attribute checks.
* Add 3 Threat Conditions

A Serious Wound that is inflicted in a SINGLE BLOW/ATTACK may require a Minor Surgery (roll CON+WILL to avoid this need) to correct so healing can begin. This will require a Doctor's Medical Kit and is a ROUTINE: MEDICAL (SURGERY qualification) or a DIFFICULT: MEDICAL (no qualification) Task roll to succeed. IF the PC/NPC has a Field Surgical Kit, give them a bonus of 1 to their roll. In such instances, the wounded individual will have burns, stitches, or a glued wound, and the chance of infection is doubled.

If damage is simply cumulative damage, then an AVERAGE: MEDICAL or a DIFFICULT: FIRST AID roll is needed (effectively a pressure dressing). The effects of a Serious Wound can be reduced to those for a Moderate Wound IF the individual is given an oral or injectable painkiller such as Percodan, Lidocaine/Novacaine (injected or topical on the wound), or high dose Codeine. In both cases, the PC will heal CON in hit points each WEEK.

Critically Wounded: 4 X Base HP

* -4 to Initiative rolls
* May NOT Sprint (8m/sec) or Run (6m/sec)
* Suffers a TWO Difficulty Level Shift to all Physical tests/tasks.
* All Physical Attributes are reduced to HALF (rounding up)
* Add 4 Threat Conditions
* Make a "saving throw" by Rolling OVER each Physical Attribute or lose 1 point just like when you age in character creation.

IF the damage was done in a SINGLE HIT, the PC must roll [CON+WILL] to avoid needing a major surgical intervention. A success STILL requires a Minor Surgery as described in the Serious Wounds section above. A Major Surgery will require general anesthesia and blood or plasma and requires a field surgical kit to perform. This task is an AVERAGE: MEDICAL (SURGICAL Qualification) or a FORMIDABLE: MEDICAL to perform and MUST succeed for healing to begin. Infection chances are doubled as for Serious Wounds above.

A PC/NPC needing a Surgical Intervention will continue to lose [10+1D10-CON] hit points per hour unless stabilized. A regular person can stabilize a Critically Wounded individual, but this requires either a DIFFICULT: MEDICAL or a FORMIDABLE: FIRST AID roll and a doctor's medical kit. If successful, the patient will be stable (lose no hp) for CON in hours.

IF the wound is a result of cumulative damage, then treating it is a DIFFICULT: MEDICAL or a FORMIDABLE: FIRST AID. The wounded individual will heal their CON in hit points every WEEK. The administering of pain relievers will reduce the Wound's effects to that of a Serious Wound, but only injectable Morphine or Demerol, or oral Oxycontin will work.

Deadly Wounds: 5 X Base HP@

@Deadly wounds are unique in that you hit the Deadly Wound Threshold at 5 X Base Hit Points, but you only have WILL + CON in total hit points in all locations at this level. Exceed those, and YOU DIE!

* You are NOT CONSCIOUS unless you roll [CON+WILL].
* You may NOT act... unless the GM allows you a final heroic action. this requires a DIFFICULT TEST of [CON + WILL].
* IF you can act, you have -5 to initiative rolls, all scores are counted as 1 for Attribute tests, You suffer a THREE LEVEL Difficulty shift, AND DISADVANTAGE on all tasks.

A person suffering a Deadly Wound may be stabilized by a person using a doctor's medical kit. This is a FORMIDABLE: MEDICAL or IMPOSSIBLE: FIRST AID. IF the damage was done in a SINGLE ATTACK, the chance to Stabilize becomes FORMIDABLE: MEDICAL (SURGERY qualification) or IMPOSSIBLE: MEDICAL. In addition, the wounded patient will need a number of units of plasma or blood equal to [11-CON then divide the result by 2] to remain stable. A PC suffering a Deadly wound will remain Stable for [CON+WILL] in minutes unless they fall back to a critical condition (see below).

A successful roll to Stabilize will immediately reduce the PC's/NPC's damage by 1 point for a normal roll, 2 points for an Outstanding Success, and 4 points for an Exceptional success. IF this reduces damage to a Critical Wound level, the PC is now stabilized and will not die.

A PC/NPC at the Deadly Wound Threshold who got there in a single hit will need Major Invasive Surgery. This requires at least a field surgical kit and [15- CON] units of Blood or Plasma and [12 - CON] units of Sterile Saline. IF the doctor has access to a Mobile Surgical Suite, a bonus of -1 is applied to the roll. It is a FORMIDABLE: MEDICAL SURGERY (qualification) or an IMPOSSIBLE: MEDICAL Task. Success results in the patient being reduced to a Critical injury.

HELPNG THE HEALING:

If a person with the MEDICAL skill and a Doctor's Medical Kit rolls an AVERAGE: MEDICAL task, the patient will gain 1 HP in added healing for that time period. An Outstanding Success will heal 2 added HP and an Exceptional Success will heal 4 added HP to the patient's CON total.

STUN DAMAGE & FATIGUE:

Unlike Wound Damage, there is only ONE TRACK for Stun Damage. This same track is also used to record FATIGUE Levels too. Stun Damage and Fatigue are basically interchangeable and you recover from BOTH very quickly. This system was pioneered by Twilight2013 and Games studio 93 deserved credit for the stun damage system.

STUN WOUND/FATIGUE LEVELS:

Lightly Fatigued/Wounded: [CON+STR+WILL]

* -1 to initiative rolls
* Must roll a check of [STR + AGL] to Sprint (8m/sec)
* Add 1 Threat Condition.

Moderately Fatigued/Wounded: [CON+STR+WILL] X 2

* -2 to initiative rolls
* May not Sprint (8m/sec)
* Has a Penalty of 1 on all skill checks and Attribute rolls.
* Add 2 Threat Conditions

Seriously Fatigued/Wounded:[CON+STR+WILL] X 3

* -3 to initiative rolls, may not Sprint (8m/sec)
* Must roll a check of [STR+AGL] to Run (6m/sec)
* Suffers an increase in Difficulty of one Level for all checks.
* All PHYSICAL Characteristics are considered reduced by 1 point for Attribute checks
* Add 3 Threat Conditions

Critically Fatigued/Wounded: [CON+STR+WILL] X 4

* -4 to initiative rolls
* May not Sprint (8m/sec), or Run (6m/sec), must roll a check of [STR+AGL] to Trot (4m/sec).
* All PHYSICAL Characteristics are HALVED (rounding up). ALL mental Attributes are reduced by 1.
* A TWO-STEP increase in Difficulty Level for all PHYSICAL tasks rolled
* Add 4 Threat conditions

Deadly Fatigued/Wounded: [CON+STR+WILL] X 5

* Must roll [CON+WILL] to avoid unconsciousness each round.
* -5 to initiative rolls.
* May only walk.
* All Characteristics HALVED (round down).
* Any Characteristic reduced to 0 results in the individual passing out.
* ALL tasks THREE Levels harder.

CALCULATING WOUND DAMAGE FROM STUN:

A person who suffers STUN Damage must divide their total Stun Damage (after multiplying by the Location Multiplier) by their CON score (rounding down) to get the amount of WOUND Damage they suffered. This is added to the Damage Track of the Location which was hit.

RECOVERING STUN DAMAGE:

If a person takes a combat round to rest, they may recover the LOWER of CON or WILL in Stun Damage. STUN will automatically regenerate at the rate of CON an hour. You recover CON+WILL per hour of rest.

Last edited by swaghauler; 03-31-2022 at 04:22 PM.