RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 07-12-2009, 02:40 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default Canon Mexican Locations.

Red Star Star Lone Star has 6600 Mexican soldiers in Texas (fighting among 4 factions).

City of Angels has 1350 soldiers.

Is there more information I am missing?

edit: Is it just me or does the equipment for the Mexican Army from City of Angels not make sense. It looks like the remains of a Soviet MRR. I have not opened that module in over a decade, now I remember why.

Last edited by kato13; 07-12-2009 at 02:53 AM.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato13
edit: Is it just me or does the equipment for the Mexican Army from City of Angels not make sense. It looks like the remains of a Soviet MRR. I have not opened that module in over a decade, now I remember why.
It doesn't. That module and Eastern Source Book were both written by an absolutely horrible author. I can't believe the GDW people let both of them pass, and for this guy to continue to make the same garbage.

There 'might' be more in the Challenge article about the Mexicans. I can't remember offhand.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusilier
There 'might' be more in the Challenge article about the Mexicans. I can't remember offhand.
Correct. In one of the early Challenge mags, issue 27 - "The Mexican Army: 1998 - 2000". Are we allowed to post just that article from the issue Kato or would that not be cool?
Old 07-12-2009, 04:30 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targan
Correct. In one of the early Challenge mags, issue 27 - "The Mexican Army: 1998 - 2000". Are we allowed to post just that article from the issue Kato or would that not be cool?

Full article is probably not cool. I can dig it up thank for the pointer Targan.
edit wow that was a good issue for Twilight 2000. 4 articles.

edit 2 no real location data dang. Ok I will just place as best I can.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:43 AM

Oh yeah, I see what you mean. Very general regional locations only.

There is some good info on Mexican forces in Satellite Down. Of course it is pretty localised (Baja California) in its scope.

Last edited by Targan; 07-12-2009 at 04:53 AM.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:49 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targan
Oh yeah, I see waht you mean. Very general regional locations only.

There is some good info on Mexican forces in Satellite Down. Of course it is pretty localised (Baja California) in its scope.
Every little bit helps.

I've got 5 days until my oilfield processing is done due to a Google limitation on how often you can search for lat/long locations (once every 1.7 seconds) so I figured I would finish up the canon units. I had completely forgotten about the Cuban unit on Grenada.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:07 AM

OT I know but I just re-read the Gun Truck article in Challenge issue 55. Its actually pretty good.

Last edited by Targan; 07-12-2009 at 09:36 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:08 PM

If only they'd put the right graphic on the right description!

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Old 08-16-2022, 01:13 PM

Default Battle for Dallas /Ft Worth Area.

Hallo. I’m looking for places in Dallas Ft worth area where the battles took Place in 1998. i will try to use google maps to give my players an illustration of where the battles took place and where the enemy forces are stationed. The American forces has withdrawn across the Red River and are regrouping for a counterattack. I understand that a nuke/nukes war used in the area but not to may.
Old 08-25-2022, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusilier View Post
It doesn't. That module and Eastern Source Book were both written by an absolutely horrible author. I can't believe the GDW people let both of them pass, and for this guy to continue to make the same garbage.

City of Angels was definitely different. The Eastern European sourcebook had some of the "flavor" of, say, the US Army Vehicle Handbook but was not quite up to what Chadwick or other GDW stalwarts would have produced.

Based on "Red Star Lone Star" and "City of Angels" I just assumed for V 1 canon that the remainder of the various factions of the Ejercito were deployed on disaster relief and maintaining some semblance of order in what remained of Mexico.
Old 11-30-2022, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybris View Post
Hallo. I’m looking for places in Dallas Ft worth area where the battles took Place in 1998. i will try to use google maps to give my players an illustration of where the battles took place and where the enemy forces are stationed. The American forces has withdrawn across the Red River and are regrouping for a counterattack. I understand that a nuke/nukes war used in the area but not to may.
Carswell AFB (now NAS JRB Fort Worth) catches a 500 kiloton airburst but it's the only nuke in the area, and DFW is huge in terms of land area (24,000 square kilometers...a 500 kt nuke would turn about 1/100th of the metro area to rubble.

TBH I think the US army and the Mexicans would have avoided DFW. Too many hungry people and probably in full scale Mad Max collapse by the time the Mexicans make it that far. I think the significant battles would have happened around Fort Hood. Canon has the 197th Brigade "defeating" the Texian legion in October of 98 and then has the Legion almost annihilating the 85th Infantry Division in Jan of 99 (which is better than the Arkansas New America cell managed), so they weren't all that defeated.

Waco is the furthest north the Mexican army has units posted as of Jan 1, 2001. Presumably the Mexicans patrol north into the southern outskirts of DFW and the US army patrols south into the northern outskirts as well, but probably both keep the ruins and any gangs ruling over the rubble as a buffer between each other.

One thing to note is that the force levels are laughably pathetic (extremely unrealistically so). You cannot garrison a hostile area the size of Texas with only 8000 troops, especially when those 8,000 troops are broken up into factions (Dallas by itself has 3500 cops to police 1.3 million people in peace time when everyone isn't trying to kill each other over a chicken wing and a potato).

The way I rationalize it is those 8000 troops are the trained maneuver/combat elements, and overall numbers are augmented by irregulars, militia, and/or support troops. So tooth to tail, maybe another 30k to 40k present and able to provide garrison and defensive combat capability. Otherwise local partisans would wipe them out in about 3 hours.
Old 12-04-2022, 02:23 PM

In my campaign, there was a Battle of Waxahachie, but that is about as far north as the main force reached. There and Tyler that is. Patrols and raids by Mexico and Division Cuba can get in as close as Mansfield and Desoto, but that is about as far as they go.
Old 12-04-2022, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpipes View Post
In my campaign, there was a Battle of Waxahachie, but that is about as far north as the main force reached. There and Tyler that is. Patrols and raids by Mexico and Division Cuba can get in as close as Mansfield and Desoto, but that is about as far as they go.
From a canon perspective*, Tyler is the Texian Legion "capital". I think the Mexican forces would have largely driven up the I35 corridor and stayed west of I45 due to the area being choked with refugees from Houston...and the terrain gets much more ambush friendly once you go east of Groesbeck. I imagine the US would have put considerable effort into holding at Fort Hood, so that's where I put the general defeat of the 49th by the Soviet Division Cuba at (there or just north of there).

Likewise, I can see the Mexican military making it to, but not past Lubbock. Even though there aren't any real geographic barriers driving north, just northeast of Amarillo is Pantex where the US stores it's nuclear weapons plutonium pits, and has facilities for manufacturing the explosive components for nukes. No way that's allowed to fall into an adversary's hands, and given that nukes were already uncorked, I don't think there would have been any hesitation on MilGov's part to nuke the Mexican forces (and, from a non-canon but realism perspective, the US would have nuked Mexico when they invaded in Jun of '98 - that's the whole point of a reserve nuclear stockpile).

* - not saying your campaign is "wrong", or even my interpretation is right by canon, it's just my internal rationalization of events per the relatively thin source material in the US Army Vehicle Guide.

Tags
mexico, units