L115A3 sniper rifle...

Anyone designed it yet?
Old 12-02-2010, 05:44 AM

Damn, thats some shooting!
Old 12-02-2010, 08:51 AM

Damn....

Now that IS some shooting!!!!
Old 12-02-2010, 11:20 AM

Yet another example of how the British Military train for marksman skills, instead of all out artillery bombardments and rapid fire on a little machine gun nest.

Mostly a sci-fi nut, who plays a few PC games.
I do some technical and vehicle drawings in my native M20 scale. - http://braden1986.deviantart.com/
Old 12-02-2010, 02:38 PM
In your own time, go on...

To be fair, sniping has been relatively neglected in the British forces until the last decade or so, when there's been a big push to improve training, equipment and the amounts of snipers avaialble. In fact, I believe that until quite recently armoured recce regiments such as the Household Cavalry weren't even orbatted for a sniper section. We've also just introduced a designated marksman's rifle and the associated training programme into the Army and Royal Marines, which will likely serve as a further stepping stone on the path to sniper selection. The RAF Regiment has used the LSW as a marksman's weapon for some time, and did run a dedicated course
central focusing on the use of the weapon in that way for some time, but field squadrons seem to have stopped deploying LSWs in any role (ours didn't even come to theatre with us), and I heard that last year's LSW Cadre was cancelled because almost no-one was booked onto it. I suspect that we'll be jumping on the DMR bandwagon as soon as we can dig up the money to buy some.

I have had the opportunity to fire the L115A3 (our sniper section came up to our OP to use it as a patrol base and were doing their daily test firing), and found it didn't recoil as much as I expected it to. Nice sight as well, but not being trained to use all the various bits and bobs I can't say much about it.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:00 PM

Some amazing shooting.

One question though. As the guy is in the Household Cavalry would he actually be trained as a Sniper or "just" as a Designated Marksman? I.e. would he have been trained in all the concealment, movement and manoeuvring skills that a sniper has as well as being taught to shoot (which he can obviously do extremely well!)?
Old 12-02-2010, 05:14 PM

Creepy fanboi love in the link provided, but, that aside, it was some superb shooting.

Stats for the L115 in game terms would be identical to an AI rifle in 338 Lapua which isn't new. I don't know exactly how you'd mod the game mechanics to allow for that sort of shot. It's such a low percentage shot, it'd probably be best to make it involve some sort of luck point or something, even if a character was maxed out on the relevant shooting skills.

Tags
l115a3, sniper