RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 09-10-2008, 04:16 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default Real people in your games?

bigehauser 09-01-2008, 12:16 AM Has anyone here used, or played real people as their characters in their games?

Heh, I myself just joined Fusileer's game as a particular famous comedian from the 80's and 90's...but with a twist to accommodate the T2K world.

-Hauser

Targan 09-01-2008, 12:41 AM There have been a few RL people included off the top of my head. IIRC the PCs in my game met Rudi Guiliani during the Armies of the Night module, he was very depressed due to his largely untreated bowel cancer.

chico20854 09-01-2008, 08:04 AM In general we in the DC group try to avoid using real personalities. Real personalities have a tendency to have lawyers that might not understand the concept of a more or less defunct military-based post apoc RPG and their client's hypothetical role in said fantasy world. So we'll drop hints as to who we're really referring to...

Mohoender 09-01-2008, 08:19 AM Finaly, I'll stop complaining about our lawyer system. As long as it doesn't go too public and as long as you don't picture them as bloodthirsty monsters, I don't think we would have a problem.

Rainbow Six 09-01-2008, 09:55 AM Played in a game years ago where characters were Warsaw Pact POW's who had escaped from their prison camp in Florida and were trying to get to Texas to link up with Division Cuba. Thet met up with a group of refugees in Louisiana, one of whom was a certain Ms Britney Spears. She ended up married to one of the PC's, a Junior Sergeant in the VDV.

chico20854 09-01-2008, 10:26 AM Played in a game years ago where characters were Warsaw Pact POW's who had escaped from their prison camp in Florida and were trying to get to Texas to link up with Division Cuba. Thet met up with a group of refugees in Louisiana, one of whom was a certain Ms Britney Spears. She ended up married to one of the PC's, a Junior Sergeant in the VDV.

Well, now that you mention it, I did just write Miss Spears into another document, but I had her as a refugee in the Adirondacks. Her life seems to be enough of a mess that I doubt her lawyers will come a-callin...

Nowhere Man 1966 09-01-2008, 11:41 AM I once did President Clinton as an NPC.

Chuck M.

Hangfire7 09-01-2008, 02:30 PM We have done ourselves, former comanders <one was like the terminator in the last scene, crawling with one hand beating a T-72> presidents, politicians, actors and playboy centerfolds.

The thing about being a real person ie a celebrity or politician if they are a public figure and open to parody, lampooning and similiar, so don't fear their lawyers.

Hmmmm, Don't Fear The Lawyer, I wonder if we could put that to the tune of Blue Oyster Cult's "Don't Fear the Reaper"" Reaper, Lawyer, not much difference.

Mohoender 09-01-2008, 02:46 PM We have done ourselves, former comanders <one was like the terminator in the last scene, crawling with one hand beating a T-72> presidents, politicians, actors and playboy centerfolds.

The thing about being a real person ie a celebrity or politician if they are a public figure and open to parody, lampooning and similiar, so don't fear their lawyers.

Hmmmm, Don't Fear The Lawyer, I wonder if we could put that to the tune of Blue Oyster Cult's "Don't Fear the Reaper"" Reaper, Lawyer, not much difference.

So, actually your law is the same as ours on this matter. I suspected it.

pmulcahy 09-01-2008, 03:52 PM Not any actual real people, but lots of NPCs (and sometimes PCs) that are based on real. I remember one NPC commander based our asshole deputy G-3 at the time, in a campaign I was GMing...when the idiot got his leg blown off and he was killed by an M-203 grenade, everyone stood up, some of them dancing, yelling and singing, "Ed is dead! Ed is dead!"

Raellus 09-01-2008, 05:06 PM Heh, I myself just joined Fusileer's game as a particular famous comedian from the 80's and 90's...but with a twist to accommodate the T2K world.

I was just thinking that it would be fun to play a celebrity-type in uniform. In WWII, heaps of big-time celebrities served in the U.S. (and, I'm sure, British) armed services. I wouldn't play an actual celebrity, though, but a fictionalized celebrity- a daytime soaps actor or something like that.

I also think that it would be funny to play a PC named John Rambo or something like that. He'd have been christened before the First Blood films came out but he gets lots of guff for his name, nonetheless. Kind of like the Michael Bolton character from Office Space.

The closest I've ever come to playing a celebrity was a German PC who'd been a soccer starlet for German mega-team Bayern Munich before he blew out his knee. He'd burned through most of his fortune by the time the war got started and he was actually a bit relieved to be drafted.

Raellus 09-01-2008, 05:12 PM Britney Spears?!? Come on guys.

When did Hit Me Baby... first come out? It had to have been after '97. If so, I doubt she would have ever broken big in the v1.0 T2K timeline. The middle of a World/nuclear war is not really a very good time for bubblegum pop.

Finally, one good thing about EMP.

Hangfire7 09-01-2008, 05:30 PM Ah Paul that was awsome! And that is what I call therapy

And that is why we did it to our former CO Captain America, who as I said was acting like "The Terminator" in the original, blown to pieces no legs one arm and still crawling forward to "DESTROY!" Ah poetic justice and nope, not one of us did a thing to save him. It was wonderful

And of couse a wormy little SOB I had as a roommate played a whinny NPC <by name> but he was big on the RPG thing in the Regiment too. We killed him off. And what was funny, he joined our group later which gave us something to grin about whenever he played. A total zero in real life beyond spit shine and kiss ass and the personality of a rock but a good RPGer.

Snake Eyes 09-01-2008, 11:26 PM I had James Hetfield and Lars Ulrich make a cameo appearance as an NPC scout/sniper team in one of my campaigns. It was either Last Sub or an ad-hoc Trans-Carpathian gig to get from Krakow to Romania to meet the sub at the end of Med Cruise. I forget which. Either way, there was a sub involved and fun was had by all.

bigehauser 09-02-2008, 12:23 AM I had James Hetfield and Lars Ulrich make a cameo appearance as an NPC scout/sniper team in one of my campaigns. It was either Last Sub or an ad-hoc Trans-Carpathian gig to get from Krakow to Romania to meet the sub at the end of Med Cruise. I forget which. Either way, there was a sub involved and fun was had by all.

AWWWW HAAHH YEEHH HEEEEHHH(said in best attempted Hetfield voice as possible)

Targan 09-02-2008, 12:52 AM One of my favourite NPCs from earlier in my campaign was a young African-American up and coming rap artist named Julius Jacobs III, stage name Funkmaster Double P. Sadly the Funkmaster was beaten to death in a riot at the all-services martial arts championship Major Po and his cronies organised in Bremerhaven while waiting for the fleet to be assembled. The martial arts tournament was great fun. Major Po was beaten around the ring by a woman whom he later recruited (so impressed was he by her ferocity). She was a USAF security dog handler named Sgt La Toya Martinez, a former LA phone sex worker.

bigehauser 09-02-2008, 01:51 AM Ai Papi *thwack thwack thwack...SWEEP...STOMP*

Hangfire7 09-02-2008, 02:22 AM Targan,

People say I have an imagination but man you have me beat! I bow to my betters.

A Air Force, dog handler MP and former phone sex worker who is also a kick ass karate champ. DAMN!

bigehauser 09-02-2008, 02:30 AM For Real Life people in...Real Life

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...tivational.jpg

Targan 09-02-2008, 02:30 AM Martinez grew up in a Catholic household and had a bunch of older brothers, she was mainly a boxer with some street fighting leg skills thrown in. She defeated Po not only because of her fighting skills but mainly because some of her USAF buddies secretly spiked her water with PCP before the fight. Major Po is a highly skilled kung fu practitioner but despite belting her REALLY hard a number of times (including a very impressive flying knee to her head) she just couldn't be stopped. She had to be dragged off Po's unconscious form by a number of people because by the time she knocked him out she had gone completely berserk.

My brother's character in the campaign is a 6'6" Samoan named Urana Ratowi, USMC Recon. He fought in the super heavyweight section of the tournament but the tournament ended up being rife with betting scams and the ref in Ratowi's fight had been bought off (against him). Ratowi actually killed his opponent in the ring and the ref drew a really nice condition Colt Lightweight Commander .45 on him. Ratowi then beat the ref to death too and as well as being cleared in a Court martial was given the officer's pistol as compensation. Hard core.

Headquarters 09-02-2008, 07:16 AM over the years the NPCs have included real people from time to time , indeed

some of the main adversaries have been real people in our campaign .Mainly

politicians and military commanders but also a few from showbiz.(look to the administrations now and before for names).But as we play FtF -any legal trouble isnt even considered.

General Pain has a nice megalomaniac/chaotic evil/Humongous/warlord set up and used the most prominent character from a popular lifeguard tv show as a marionette politician in his campaign to secure a grip on central California and the LA area.He also had an Elvis impersonator herald doing the announcements in his fortress compound.Good fun .

Rainbow Six 09-02-2008, 12:18 PM Britney Spears?!? Come on guys.

When did Hit Me Baby... first come out? It had to have been after '97. If so, I doubt she would have ever broken big in the v1.0 T2K timeline. The middle of a World/nuclear war is not really a very good time for bubblegum pop.

If memory serves I think it was 1999. To clarify, in our game World she wasn't a celebrity, just one more anonymous 18 year old refugee...

chico20854 09-02-2008, 02:52 PM If memory serves I think it was 1999. To clarify, in our game World she wasn't a celebrity, just one more anonymous 18 year old refugee...

Same with us, just another desperate refugee...

until she shot Major Po!

akula_au 09-02-2008, 06:19 PM Same with us, just another desperate refugee...

until she shot Major Po!

And there was much rejoicing!

kato13 09-02-2008, 11:30 PM And there was much rejoicing!

Yeaaaay.

Surprised I was the first response to this.

Targan 09-02-2008, 11:45 PM Yaaay from me too... oh gee, I hope MajorPo doesn't read this.

Nowhere Man 1966 09-03-2008, 01:58 PM Britney Spears?!? Come on guys.

Late 1997 or early 1998 sounds about right. Probably in this timeline, if she is to be remembered at all, it would be her stint in the "New Mickey Mouse Club" on the Disney Channel and she was with a tenny bopper group for a while after that. We have here in Pittsburgh, a girl name Christine Aguilara, who made it big, she was with Brittany on the Mickey Mouse Club and she hit the scene at around the same time as she. Probably in Twilight, she be remembered like Brittany but after that, more of a local Pittsburgh celeb. She'd either be a refugee here in the Pittsburgh area or a member of "Whitey's" harum in Allegheny Uprising.

Let's see, I'm also used a guy in my games names "Malanthius." I took the name from a caller who called all the Pittsburgh talkshows for a while, he claimed to be an alien from outer space. In my game, I've made him an Atlantis survivor that never ages or somehow cheats at it and somewhat powerful but a bit of a recluse. He can be helpful but he has his own agenda and wants to remain as much of a hermit.

I know this is a fictional character but a famous one to many of us, sometimes I have a guy named "John Thomas Rourke" show up, I bummed him from Jerry Ahern's, "The Survivalist" series.

Nowhere Man 1966 09-03-2008, 02:12 PM A side note on celebs, at least local ones, I'm sure if there are any surviving radio stations or of God willing, TV stations, if any big named, local newscasters and hosts survive, I can see them being put into service. The public, hearing a familiar voice and/or seeing a familiar face might make a good impression in bad times. I know here in Pittsburgh, we had a newsman named Bill Burns where he was on TV from 1947 until he retired in the mid 1990's. During times of crisis, people often said, "turn on "Bill Burns" instead of "turn on the TV." In fact, it wasn't Walter Kronkite that broke the news of JFK's assassination but it was Bill Burns because Pittsburgh filled in that time lost with local programming.

We've also have other people of that vintage and a generation after as well who are names here in Pittsburgh, so if some of those older people survived the Twilight War, they'd be in their 80's so I don't know if they would be up to the task but the second and third generation should be.

I figure other areas would be much the same although in recent times, we've had more people move on. In the 1950's, we were market #9, 1960's market #11 from one local Pittsburgh name I've talked to, not we are #22 and just slipped to #23 so we are more of a "stepping stone" now.

Chuck M.

Headquarters 09-04-2008, 01:45 AM its not that hard to set up for the aspiring warlord with a few thousand souls under his heel -the British pioneered tv in the 1930s as did Germany.

our PCs wasted no time in using TV and radio as a means to take power-doctoring news casts to show them as heroes etc -and of course - whoever can get the tv shows running again will pretty much be viewed as the best bet for a legitimate and stable "GOV" after the events in T2K..in their little fiefs they have set up saloons where people can spend ration chits and wath the television set and have drinks etc ..(carefully watched by plainclothes secret police men ..or should I say plain-rags policemen heheh)

all of them scrambled to get any celeb shanghaied -but Gen Pain did best locating a mullet wearing former lifeguard show male lead in a refugee camp and quickly coercing him to cooperate ..hehe

chico20854 09-04-2008, 06:36 AM A side note on celebs, at least local ones, I'm sure if there are any surviving radio stations or of God willing, TV stations, if any big named, local newscasters and hosts survive, I can see them being put into service. The public, hearing a familiar voice and/or seeing a familiar face might make a good impression in bad times. I know here in Pittsburgh, we had a newsman named Bill Burns where he was on TV from 1947 until he retired in the mid 1990's. During times of crisis, people often said, "turn on "Bill Burns" instead of "turn on the TV." In fact, it wasn't Walter Kronkite that broke the news of JFK's assassination but it was Bill Burns because Pittsburgh filled in that time lost with local programming.

We've also have other people of that vintage and a generation after as well who are names here in Pittsburgh, so if some of those older people survived the Twilight War, they'd be in their 80's so I don't know if they would be up to the task but the second and third generation should be.

I figure other areas would be much the same although in recent times, we've had more people move on. In the 1950's, we were market #9, 1960's market #11 from one local Pittsburgh name I've talked to, not we are #22 and just slipped to #23 so we are more of a "stepping stone" now.

Chuck M.

Chuck-

A terrible idea popped into my head-

"The Fedko Zone 2000!"

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(former Pittsburgher here, the rest of you may move on....)

Targan 09-05-2008, 07:11 AM Another RL person mentioned in my campaign was Del Black, the first ever USN Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy. He was deceased in my campaign but he was the great uncle of one of the PCs in my campaign, Lt Cdr HD Black and had it not been for that family connection it is unlikely HD Black would have been considered for a commission in the USN, due to his fractured upbringing and the fact that his father was a notorious Texas chapter president of the Hells Angels and his mother being a new Orleans bordello madam.

Nowhere Man 1966 09-05-2008, 10:28 AM Chuck-

A terrible idea popped into my head-

"The Fedko Zone 2000!"

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(former Pittsburgher here, the rest of you may move on....)

Yeah, Fedko is a weird one, he's still around. I also remember "Hey!!! Fedko!!" I also like how our ABC affiliate here in Pittsburgh had a scorecard on the Steelers with the three major sportscasters and the "guy in the parking lot," usually the "guy" won. Here's one for you, we could always put Myron Cope on the air but he just passed away this year.

BTW, when did you live in Pittsburgh and how long ago?

Chuck M.

pmulcahy 09-05-2008, 01:33 PM Yeah, Fedko is a weird one, he's still around. I also remember "Hey!!! Fedko!!" I also like how our ABC affiliate here in Pittsburgh had a scorecard on the Steelers with the three major sportscasters and the "guy in the parking lot," usually the "guy" won. Here's one for you, we could always put Myron Cope on the air but he just passed away this year.

BTW, when did you live in Pittsburgh and how long ago?

Chuck M.

I actually had to Google "Fedko." When you said that, I mixed that up in my head with Kevin Federline, aka K-Fed, aka "No talents other than getting Britney Spears pregnant."

Snake Eyes 09-05-2008, 01:52 PM "No talents other than getting Britney Spears pregnant."

But what an opportune skill for a fellow in his situation to possess! I mean, what are the odds - right?

rcaf_777 09-05-2008, 07:41 PM How about us former or current army types playing ourselves

I have often thought myself a character a Finance Clerk wondering around Europe with a 10,000$

Tags
npcs